How you would play these two holes in a tournament?

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
Playing in a ladies tournament soon and thought it would be fun to see how you would play these two holes.

I'll probably be playing a practice round so that will help but just wanted you guys/gals to play along with me and give me your thoughts. Assume I have the distance to reach in one and two on both holes and I will be playing red tees (I think).

Hole 5 / Par 4
It is Larry Nelson's design philosophy that every golf course should contain at least one great "short par 4." The fifth hole is just that at 320 yards. The tee is elevated some sixty feet above the green and is easily within reach with a long, daring tee shot. For those who gamble for this green in one, there are plenty of strategically placed hazards (trees, sand and grass bunkers) to punish wayward tee shots. Simply put, those who stand on this tee with a driver can find a six as easily as an eagle or a birdie. For those who sacrifice distance from the tee and choose to hit an iron, a well guarded green becomes the challenge for a longer second shot.

Championship Tees (Back) - 320 yards
Blue Tees - 296 yards
White Tees - 272 yards
Red Tees - 208 yards

hole_5.jpg

Hole 18 / Par 5
Brookstone's signature 18 provides the definition of a risk-reward golf hole. A short par 5 at 515 yards, this hole provides a player who hits a successful tee shot an opportunity to gamble for the green in two, trying to avoid a pond and large bunker left of the green and numerous bunkers to the right. The 18th green is 7650 square feet, making it the largest here at Brookstone. It has four distinct tiers, proving a number of great pin locations. Possibly the best finishing hole in the state, there can be a birdie or eagle waiting at 18 to solidify your round, however, bogeys and worse seem to loom even after a perfect tee shot.

Championship Tees (Back) - 515 yards
Blue Tees - 478 yards
White Tees - 449 yards
Red Tees - 415 yards

hole_18.jpg

Last edited:
If there's alot of risk play it safe. Hit an iron just short on the par 4 chip it close and make birdie. On the par 5 make it a three shot hole and land the third as close as you can to the hole. Make par at worst.

Those are definitely risk reward holes! IMO I would lay up on the par 4 to a confortable yardage as it would be a real easy layup, if you miss going for it, a long bunker shot is really tough.

The par 5 I would go for it but would make my miss leave me right and short away from the water, worse case your in the bunker and have 3 shots to save par.

Good luck KB!

I would make my decision based on where I believe I'm at, at that exact moment. If I feel I need to go for the green on the par 4, then take out the driver and get it there. Make sure to miss on the correct side if you're going to miss though.

The par 5, with a green like that (different tiers), I would most likely lay up so I can put some spin on the ball to hold it on the correct level. If you're on the wrong level, you're at best two putting. But if you're on the right level, you're giving yourself a shot at 1 putting and taking the 3putt out of the equation completely.

I would make my decision based on where I believe I'm at, at that exact moment. If I feel I need to go for the green on the par 4, then take out the driver and get it there. Make sure to miss on the correct side if you're going to miss though.

The par 5, with a green like that (different tiers), I would most likely lay up so I can put some spin on the ball to hold it on the correct level. If you're on the wrong level, you're at best two putting. But if you're on the right level, you're giving yourself a shot at 1 putting and taking the 3putt out of the equation completely.

I agree with this...and also dependent on how you are striking the ball that day. If you have been hitting driver well, I would definitely go after that par 4.

Those are definitely risk reward holes! IMO I would lay up on the par 4 to a confortable yardage as it would be a real easy layup, if you miss going for it, a long bunker shot is really tough.

The par 5 I would go for it but would make my miss leave me right and short away from the water, worse case your in the bunker and have 3 shots to save par.

Good luck KB!

I mostly agree with this. However, the par 4 depends. If it's 208 and 60 ft. downhill, wouldn't that be less than driver for you? I think I might have to go at that one too. Also, as others will say, it depends on the circumstances at the time. If you don't think you need the stroke on 18 playing it in 3 shots may actually increase your odds at birdie. Good luck! Looks like a great course!

I'd lay up on the par 4 if you don't feel comfortable with it. It gives you an easy chance at par or even birdie considering how well your approach shot is. The short par 5 sounds like something you could go for as long as your tee shot was good. I'd gamble on the par five more than the 4. The 5 also sounds like it has a massive green which can be forgiving on those "go-for-broke shots". GL KellyBo!

Go for it! I like your chances of hitting a driver straight enough to get near the green, rather than taking two chances to mess up (layup/approachshot). Your driver is the best club in your bag in my opinion, use it!

First hole I'd lay up a 4 iron (190 yds for me) and then hit 9i or wedge for the 130 left.

2nd hole I'd hit driver out around 250-270 and then go for it with a hybrid assuming I've hit the fairway. I would still hit a hybrid from the rough, just as more of a cut shot and let it run a little ways and have a short pitch to the green. Good luck KB

First hole I'd lay up a 4 iron (190 yds for me) and then hit 9i or wedge for the 130 left.

2nd hole I'd hit driver out around 250-270 and then go for it with a hybrid assuming I've hit the fairway. I would still hit a hybrid from the rough, just as more of a cut shot and let it run a little ways and have a short pitch to the green. Good luck KB

First hole plays 208 for her...hence the dilemna.

I would GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

I think this about sums it up.

Number 5 I go for in 1. Bunkers don't bother me, and I trust my short game implicitly. As for 18, 515 yards is not really a 2 shot short par 5 to me. If I am 260 and in the middle off of the tee, unless you are letting me tee it up again in the fairway, I am not getting there in 2, so, I would play my second shot to 100, or 125, and hit a full gap, or pitching wedge. Now, if you let me move up to the whites, I would definitely be trying to get home in 2 playing a small fade with the M3 into the green.

Not a ton of holes where I can go for it in one so the first one, I'd definitely give it a go!

On the second, I'd try to hit my drive as far as I can and go from there. It's doubtful that I'm getting on in two.

if you are good with your long game, i think you should go for it both times, otherwise, lay up both times :)

I'm hoping to get a practice round in next week and I'll have to come back and let you guys know how it goes and we'll talk from there. I love a course that makes me think. I'm going to work hard on bunkers so I won't be afraid of them. I'm getting there but not quite there yet.

Right now my thought is to go for it on the first hole and layup on the second. That may change once I actually see the course and play in a practice round.

Thanks for all your input!

On the Par 4 from the tips I would go with a 3w off the tee box to give me a wedge shot into the green

On 18 I would Hit driver, 3w (If I was in the fairway) and wedge up into the green

I would probably go for the first and lay up on the 18, unless I was really needing to make something happen to improve my score.
Definitely work on the sand game. If you get your bunker play working, then you could be more aggressive with your decision making.

On the par 4 I am hitting short of the bunkers and pitching over them with a second shot, not worth going for it there. The par 5 I am hitting driver and then aiming whatever I can hit that distance toward the bunkers on the right of the green with a slight draw swing and the worst that could happen is I hit it straight into the bunkers to the right and then play for par from there. If I draw it as planned then I am looking at an eagle maybe, birdie for sure. I would not try to layup there, that part of the fairway looks pretty narrow, try to go over all of that and take the water out of play.

I would go five wood, wedge on the first hole.

Driver and hybrid on the par five.

KellyBo's driver is definite a go to club and if she is hitting it good on the range I would say go for both with the big stick!

On 5 I think I'd lay up safely because it's early in the round (unless you're already hitting it awesome on the 4 holes before). On 18 I go for it if I have a chance to win, otherwise play it safe.

Pull out the big stick on 5 and go for it! Have enough confidence in yourself that even if you miss, you'll still be able to get in with birdie or par at the least. But if you knock it on from the tee, what a huge advantage and gives your opponents something to think about too.

On 18, time to play safer here. Nothing ruins the end of a round more than finding water or playing from a hazard which can deflate your game. Take driver off the tee and hit hybrid off the fairway. You'll either have a nice chance at eagle or up-and-down for birdie. Tons better than making bogey or worse off this amazing looking par-5.

Even if I'm not playing well, I'd go for the Par 4 KB. Sometimes you need a spark if you don't start well and this hole seems to be right in time for that spark. However, that par 5 with water in play on a very long 2nd... I'd lay up there unless I felt my long approaches were on, and you'd certainly know come #18!

That looks like a beautiful track there regardless KB. Have fun!

I'm assuming this is a handicap competition. Bearing that in mind with you being off 12.6 I'd go with the conservative option every time. I'm also off a similar handicap and I'd back myself to put a better score up with a short wedge in rather than a tricky bunker shot or being in the water.

Also, in strokeplay...a par is waaaay better than a double/triple. Where as a high risk birdie is only 1 shot better than a par. Just hit GIR's all day and give yourself putts at birdie or 22 for the par

Back