Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

Good write up. It was smart to include the directions! I could definitely use one of these. I hardly ever make a divot with my irons. It's almost like I pick it clean. Because of it, I never get any spin, just roll.

Another thing about this is that it will really help anyone that catches it a little thin as well as fat. Thinning the ball usually comes from your swing bottoming out before the ball. This is hard to fix sometimes because people think it's just from lifting up so they then start to keep their head down but still catch it thin. If you throw the ball back in the pro slot you'll get the feedback from the board when you bottom out early. I hope this makes sense. I'll have video of all this Monday if it doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be great to use with my tour striker
Do you think that would be ok

This will be great to use with my tour striker
Do you think that would be ok

Shouldn't be any problem, but I'd just keep an eye out for getting to steep. Just check your divots. Divots are full of answers.

CB029.JPG

CB030.JPG

CB031.JPG

Color my 50% depressed and 50% happy.
Took the Compression Board out for 4 hours today. I suck :beat-up:

I took my 56* Cleveland and my Ben Hogan 8 & 4 Irons down to the 'park' with 3 dozen real balls and some limited flight balls (the 'park' isn't long enough to hit more than a 56*). Oh, and also took my swing mat down as I don't want to chew up the 'park' with divots (this is a problem).

I stretched out some and then hit 3 dozen pratice shots. Not bad I was thinking as they were going 95 yds. and pretty much on target. I went and collected the balls and then set up the Compression Board on the mat. I set the ball up @ level 6, thinking I just want to get a feeling for hitting with the board there. 1st swing, tick, nicked the board. No problem I think as I'm just getting used to the board being there. Next 4 shots, tick tick tick tick. Not a good start. I finish up the 3 dozen balls, about 75% missing the board and the others nicking the board. The last 10 or so I missed the board. All the balls going about 95 yds. I go collect the balls.

I think so I missed the board on the last 10 shots at level 6, I'll move to level 5. Clack, clack, nick, nick, thin, fat (but no clack or nick) for the next dozen shots. Luckily I'm out there alone otherwise I'd been embarrased but at this point my mind is analyzing so I figure it may be best to stop with the full swings and try some partials. My partials, 75% swing, were missing the board but some were thin, others fat, and too many towards the toe (didn't want to put a tee down, "Miss the board, hit the tee" H.Haney [I don't know when that is going to get out of my mind]). I go collect the balls.

I am thinking to myself that the past month I have been getting my swing flatter since I push the balls when I get upright. I am getting too flat so I need to get more steep. But what about the push. Is going steeper on the back swing really causing me to come over the top? Let's try. 75% shots again, moved to level 4, push, push, push, and a couple of ticks and a thunk (with a push) as I hit the board. I look at the board closer and my swing path is not coming over the top, it is coming inside as it should. Why the hell am I pushing the ball then? I take some practice swings and figure that the ball is too back in my stance so I move it up. Whack, whack, whack (with a few nicks in there) as I'm hitting the ball pretty straight and my 75% swings are going 85-90 yds. I go collect the balls.

I am going to take full swings now, so move the ball back to level 5. I am mostly missing the board but too many thins and fats but am hitting the ball fairly straight and about 100yds. Then, thwack, I hit the ball correctly, nice little draw, on line, about 120 yards. It felt great off the face, a very noticable difference, and looking at the face the ballmark is right in the middle.

So, I hit a lot of balls today. I didn't get pass level 5. When I did hit them correctly, they could have been at least near level 2, I gained around 20 yds in distance. I have a pretty high ball flight normally and when I hit the ball in the sweet spot at level 5, with the 20 yd. gain, the ball flight was higher though that seems counter intuitive to me. If I can hit a 56* wedge 120 yds. with that ball flight though, I will gladly take it.

I did move the Compression Board off the mat for some swings. It didn't work out so good for me though. It isn't the board's fault at all. It goes back to me not wanting to take divots at the 'park' and that is also a problem of mine on the course. I know I need to take them (really know now, 20 yd gain in distance) but I am having problems with it.

The Compression Board has taught me, so far, that I was on the absolute wrong path with my swing. That I really need to take divots, they don't even have to be big divots. I need a lot of work on my swing. I will be unhappy playing a course because I will get frustrated with my thin/fat shots until I work out my swing enough to at least get to level 3. It will save me money, since I won't be playing for awhile it is looking like, probably $100 in greens fees the next month (I am thinking it may take that long until I get it to level 3). OK, maybe only $50 this month as I still need to hit the range for my woods and driver. I am shocked that I can break 100 as it is, even in the winter.

The question now, is it worth the $50 price tag. If the board holds up to my abuse over the next month, and it looks like it will as the board only gets slight scuffs when you smack it, as hopefully seen in the pictures, it is easily worth the price. Some might say (most of me) that the smack in the face of reality, showing me that I was on a horrible path with my swing leading to frustrating rounds and bad moods, it is easily worth the $50 already (thank you to THP and Compression Board for the smack in the face).

I was already considering some lessons and am considering them a little more. I know I can make good swings as it is but they are too inconsistent right now. I will use the board until I break it and if it lasts the next month before it breaks, I will buy one to replace it if I break it. This product might not be for some. I am lucky that, for at the moment, I have a place where I can hit balls all day long for no cost (other than the cost to my ego). I don't know how many have that situation. Then again, if you're going to go to the range and hit balls anyway then the cost of the board would be negligable compared to what it offers (it may cost you some ego, but having in degree in Psychology as I do, I can tell you that you need to get rid of most of that anyway).

The chance to test and review this product came at a great time for me. Not only was I on the wrong path and see what hitting the ball right does (20 additional yds on level 5 alone) It also comes at a time when the term "Miss the board, hit the tee" is fresh in my mind.

If my knee allows, I will be back out tomorrow with the board and will post some more. I again want to thank (THANK) THP and Compression Board.

Best wishes,
Chris

Sorry for the slow loading images. I didn't resize them from the camera as I wasn't sure how clear they'd turn out and I wanted people to see the marks on the board clearly. If you think I should resize them, let me know.

Oh yes, and what is a half depressed half happy golfer to do? Go out and buy a shiny new club, a couple of gloves, and a new hat. :smile: Oh, and don't forget the beer.

Last edited:
Nice write up Chris, full of good info. Just try and take mental notes of your swing on those good shots and stick with it buddy. Im sure you'll be hitting crisp clean shots in no time.

Nice write up Chris, full of good info. Just try and take mental notes of your swing on those good shots and stick with it buddy. Im sure you'll be hitting crisp clean shots in no time.

Thank you. Taking lots of mental notes and writing some down. Tomorrow, the video cam. Brought it with me today but was just in somewhat of a daze to set it up. I really did think it would be a little easier. I know, I'm a dumby. :smile:

Almost forgot to mention, the instructions were sent with the board. Thank you GolferGal for letting me know where they were. Also, if I wouldn't have been in a rush last night, I would have seen all of the instructions on the website.

Have I mentioned that I am impatient? :smile:

Almost forgot to mention, the instructions were sent with the board. Thank you GolferGal for letting me know where they were. Also, if I wouldn't have been in a rush last night, I would have seen all of the instructions on the website.

Have I mentioned that I am impatient? :smile:

Haha I think alot of us get a little impatient, especially when we get new "toys" if you will.

Great job so far guy's. Sounds like this is making a solid difference for our testers, gotta love that.

Great writeups so far. Does the board leave any markings on your clubs? Any 'residue' left like the green stuff you get from range mats? How about any marks or dents on forged irons?

Last edited:
Nice job so far, testers. Very cool to hear the differences you are seeing when you hit the ball perfectly.

great job so far guys. This product may be right up my ally for something Nerfny and I could use on the range.

Great job guys!! I'm strongly considering this product

great writeups so far. Does the board leave any markings on your clubs? Any 'residue' left like the green stuff you get from range mats?

It didn't leave any residue or markings on my clubs when I hit it.

Man, but $50. What is it about this compression board that makes it so pricey? Why couldn't I just go to the local hardware store and get some similar grade plexiglass and then draw some lines on it with a marker? I'm not sure, but I think it would be considerably cheaper. I'm not trying to insult the product or the price, I'm just trying to understand what causes this item to cost $50.

Man, but $50. What is it about this compression board that makes it so pricey? Why couldn't I just go to the local hardware store and get some similar grade plexiglass and then draw some lines on it with a marker? I'm not sure, but I think it would be considerably cheaper. I'm not trying to insult the product or the price, I'm just trying to understand what causes this item to cost $50.

+1. I have some birdie ball strike pads that I think I will cut to make my own. I never use those things anyway

I don't want to guess on what costs the company incurs to make them charge what they do, but I'm always befuddled when people make these arguments about training aids. People have no problem spending $50 on balls they're going to lose, greensfees that are done once you walk off 18, clubs that are going to be replaced, etc.. This is something that you could and should use every time you go to the range and every time you practice pitching and chipping. This $50 will benefit your golf game much more than $50 spent on the other items I previously mentioned. As for making your own, I'm sure you could, but this thing is pretty appealing to the eye. Also, I know anytime I've thought I could make my own cheaper I never actually get around to doing it. I'm not trying to be rude or inconsiderate to anyone by insinuating $50 isn't a healthy chunk of change, but this is golf and it's not a cheap game (especially if you're trying to get down to a single digit hdcp). Just my opinion.

I don't want to guess on what costs the company incurs to make them charge what they do, but I'm always befuddled when people make these arguments about training aids. People have no problem spending $50 on balls they're going to lose, greensfees that are done once you walk off 18, clubs that are going to be replaced, etc.. This is something that you could and should use every time you go to the range and every time you practice pitching and chipping. This $50 will benefit your golf game much more than $50 spent on the other items I previously mentioned. As for making your own, I'm sure you could, but this thing is pretty appealing to the eye. Also, I know anytime I've thought I could make my own cheaper I never actually get around to doing it. I'm not trying to be rude or inconsiderate to anyone by insinuating $50 isn't a healthy chunk of change, but this is golf and it's not a cheap game (especially if you're trying to get down to a single digit hdcp). Just my opinion.

All very good points. $50 is not a lot when it comes down to how much we spend on golf all the time.

I didn't think that it was not a useful aid. I just think it is always a good idea to re-purpose something you already have.

Im also in the camp that thinks some stuff is over priced and think I can build it cheaper. However when you look at the cost it takes a company to get it to market, pay for insurance , employees, the list goes on and on.I know its not cheap. I own a business and when people ask me why a picture cost 8.00 when it only cost me .50 to print I have to answer, ya but the camera and lens cost $6000 and my experience is priceless.

Plus you have to figure what is the cost of your time worth. If you have lots of time and like to do that sort of thing I say go for it. But i think its hard to criticize companies for what stuff cost because we think we can make it cheaper.

Im also in the camp that thinks some stuff is over priced and think I can build it cheaper. However when you look at the cost it takes a company to get it to market, pay for insurance , employees, the list goes on and on.I know its not cheap. I own a business and when people ask me why a picture cost 8.00 when it only cost me .50 to print I have to answer, ya but the camera and lens cost $6000 and my experience is priceless.

Plus you have to figure what is the cost of your time worth. If you have lots of time and like to do that sort of thing I say go for it. But i think its hard to criticize companies for what stuff cost because we think we can make it cheaper.

Those are such wonderful points and I couldn't agree more. Before I was a business owner I would have never thought about things such as time and labor but now it all makes so much more sense to me.

Many times I have built my own training aids and when I find myself using them often enough, I will purchase the real version. Sometimes it just helps to have a home demo. I just like to try before I buy

All valid points. To add to the 'cost' factor, I'm sure the company did market research to find out what people were willing to spend on the product as well. And yes, golf is expensive, especially the golf balls. I guess all I was trying to ask was if the plexiglass is standard plexiglass, or if it is some non-destructible grade. I'm not an expert on plexiglass. Would some cheap sheet of plexiglass scuff up my clubs, would it break? Is that what sets this product apart from a sheet of plexiglass?

Back