My lesson from Fred Couples yesterday

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
While I was watching the champions tour yesterday/ (tape delay from round 1)
i kept watching how many different type of shots Freddy hit into the greens. He would hit little knock down shots, half wedges, pitch and runs, etc. they guy is so fun to watch swing the golf club. its Amazing.

So i started thinking about my own game and why i hit so many full shots into greens. If would just take a 9 iron from 100 yards and just punch it up into t middle of the green instead of grabbing a wedge and trying to hit it at the pin and spin it back into the hole, (Ya like thats going to happen:arrogant:) id be sooo much better off.

I also have a bad back, as im sure many of us do and I think the reason he hits a lot of those shots it to keep from having to take a full swing, plus HE CAN.

I need to take some of the ego out of my game and I think I can score much better.

Today when I go out, Im going to really try to just hit more greens with half shots, punch shots etc and just aim at the center of the green. How many of us if we had to, could hit a little punch 8 iron 100 yards right at the red flag on the range? no problem but trying to hit it with a full on SW or PW and its off the green or 10 yards right or left. I know I do.

So im going to take a lesson from Freddy and save my back and try to hit more greens.

PS: I MADE IT. :blob:

Good luck. Manipulating your swing that much could be tough, but its different for everyone. Cant wait to hear how you do.

I love being creative like that on the course , when my playing partner asked me what i just hit from 100 yds and tell him it was a little 8 he just looks at me some times i pull it of and other times i do not but it has lowered my scores . I also watch those older guys play to, they still can play c'mon some of them have been doing it longer than i've been alive

I have been guilty of trying to rely on the wedge shot that only works once in a while. Great reminder that other options are there

Good luck RRpruett.
Last year my buddy got me hitting a baby 9 for pins in the back of the green. Instead of trying to fly a PW all the way back there. Second day out I hit a smooth 9, landed middle of the green ran up to the back and holed out for an Eagle. That shot's my baby now. Any pin in the back edge of the green I'm thinking take a little more and swing easier.

I have been practicing for a while now at a field down the street that has goal posts at 110 yds. apart. Its a rugby practice field and the posts make it perfect for learning how to hit 100 yd shots.
I have learned that a 7 iron swung back waist high with a knock down follow thru is 100-110 yds for me.
8 iron backswing between hip and shoulder, same distance.
9 iron back to my shoulder with a easy follow thru, same distance.
PW with a smooth swing, 52 with a good swing, 54 with an aggressive swing equals same thing. And all have different trajectories, depending on the club and my follow through.
I really think this has improved my game, particularly as far as hitting GIR's on par 5's much more consistently than before. I also now have a number to play to if needed and a variety of shots I can hit from there.

Since I got in that car accident last Dec. I have been forced to change my shots to be able to play and going for more half- 3/4 swings and hitting more bump and runs instead of trying to fly the ball to the pin has been part of the reason my game has improved a lot over the last couple of months. I'm finding with the bump and run shots I am able to get to 5-8 ft. of the hole more consistently than flying over the back of off the side of the green.

I love taking more club and shorter swings when ever I can. I caught myself trying REALLY hard to fall in love with a 60* wedge, and I just plain can not hit them. Went back to the little bump and run, and I still suck, but now it's only cuz' I can't putt, not my whole short game!

Love 3/4 shots. It's almost weird for me now to hit a full shot. Definitely easier on the back as well.

Well i went out today and really tried to hit a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 shots. it worked well. Hit more greens and was very happy with most of the shots inside 100 yards

We played a scramble so i do not have a score to report but i think i made progress. We will see next time out.
On the range i practiced hitting a lot of these type of shots.

Back