LEFTIES ONLY: Ever think about starting over right-handed?

LEFTIES ONLY: Ever think about starting over right-handed?

• Total voters

ken419

Return of the Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh Yeah
Lack of selection in stores.

Rental Clubs at courses, if they're even available, are usually raggedy and archaic.

Don't even get me started on gloves...

Hell, even some headcovers seem to be ill-fitting as they're designed more for a right-handed clubhead.

Any other lefties ever think about giving up the game for a while and starting over again as a right-handed player?

Only reason I would ever switch is cause more clubs are available for RHs...

Naw but several years back I tried to switch to a lefty. I even bought a set of left handed clubs and played with them for a few months. I could hit a baseball both ways so I thought maybe ,I could play golf better left handed. Wrong :beat-up:

I didn't answer the poll, but I am ambidextrous at several everyday, or almost, activities. Just wanted to point that out... carry on!

i spent my first 6 weeks playing doing it right handed and then gave up and went back to my natural lefty ways

Come on, Lefty pride, no I've never thought of switching and see no reason to ever think about it.

There are a few things that piss me off being a lefty: usually only 9.5 and 10.5 lofts in drivers.Trying to find wedge lofts at anything around 48* is hard, but it is a great deal easier now than 30 years ago. Imagine being a lefthanded woman. Most all tools are right handed as well.

There are a few things that piss me off being a lefty: usually only 9.5 and 10.5 lofts in drivers.Trying to find wedge lofts at anything around 48* is hard, but it is a great deal easier now than 30 years ago. Imagine being a lefthanded woman. Most all tools are right handed as well.

Totally... I wish I golfed lefty - but wouldn't switch at this point (I am a lefty in writing and other sports). I imagine it's way too hard to find clubs. I do think about it though, as when I've switched in other sports, it has made a significant difference in playing.

I'm a natural lefty but not at golf (about 50/50 depending on the sport which hand I use). My 3 year old is a total lefty though. You think it's a bad selection for regular lefty clubs, you know how hard it is to find jr clubs for a lefty? :p

I wouldn't give it up and go right though. One of my regular playing partners is a lefty that does some sports right like me. He went rightly like I did when he started. And his swing will never be correct. We always joke that he "chose poorly".
Another guy I play in a charity event with is the same way. He plays righty but should be playing lefty and he's horrid. If you're under 10, sure make the change if you want. But after that, no. Stick with how you can hit the ball.

I think about it every once in a while. Then I grab a right handed club and try to swing it and then bury that thought. Most recently, I was selected for the Cleveland CG16 Play it Forward and received the right handed club. I took it to my house out in the country over the weekend and was hitting practice balls in the yard during a family BBQ. Nobody was safe. And I mean nobody..not even me.

I'm a natural lefty but not at golf (about 50/50 depending on the sport which hand I use). My 3 year old is a total lefty though. You think it's a bad selection for regular lefty clubs, you know how hard it is to find jr clubs for a lefty? :p

I wouldn't give it up and go right though. One of my regular playing partners is a lefty that does some sports right like me. He went rightly like I did when he started. And his swing will never be correct. We always joke that he "chose poorly".
Another guy I play in a charity event with is the same way. He plays righty but should be playing lefty and he's horrid. If you're under 10, sure make the change if you want. But after that, no. Stick with how you can hit the ball.

If we didn't have the THP outing coming up around the corner, I might try to switch. Maybe when I have more time and can get a ladies demo club in lefty. I tried with the men's - wasn't too bad. The old Nickent rep was a lefty and he talked me through a lefty swing (felt backwards when I did it). Right now, my swing is abysmal.

When I changed for bowling, it made a WORLD of difference. Played righty for like 6 months and the day I switched to lefty I was already bowling better than when I was a righty.

Well I am a left handed guy, but when it comes to golf and hockey I am right handed. It just feels natural. The twist is baseball over to the other side I go. Now I've tried to swing at the baseball from the right side and I can do it, but just does not feel solid. Unless they throw the ball into the dirt then I can swing for the moon. Someone figure that out???

Like Mickelson and Weir (not sure about Bubba or Steve Flesch or the others), I am naturally RH. I play golf and hockey LH, can switch-hit in baseball, same with racquet sports. Don't ask me to throw a ball (of any kind) with my left hand.

I tried years ago to learn golf right handed, I'm just much more comfortable from the "wrong side". I can hit most clubs RH, and will often practice with my son's clubs (he is a RH golfer, but naturally LH), working on tempo and balance. I find this very helpful.

For fun, on a short par 3, I often suggest that we swap clubs and hit from the wrong side. I seldom lose, most RH golfers have no idea how to swing a LH club.

As bad as the equipment problem (lack of) is today for LH golfers, it was much worse 20 - 30 years ago. At least we have some selection today , with some manufacturers better than others.

My instructor suggested a year ago that I spend some time working on making the switch. My reply was "not at my age".

Maybe putting but no chance with swing trying to be a righty.

I'm a lefty but learned to play right handed, but there is no way I would switch once I had a swing. It is nice to be able to go into a store and have a choice from everything on the rack rather than just a couple of sets tucked away at the end of the rack, but I wouldn't change to a righty if I'd started playing to my natural left sidedness. Despite doing everything left handed, on the odd occasion I try a practice swing left handed, I literally wouldn't even make contact with the ball LOL

About 6 years ago I tinkered with the idea of switching but I was too old at that point. I had grown up playing baseball left handed, and no matter how hard I worked to hit golf balls right handed, it's just not going to happen. I wish I was right handed, and to be honest, being a part of THP has made that wish much more stronger, but there's not much I can do about it now. I try to support those companies that have LH offerings more than the ones who don't. I think things are slowly changing though. I see more and more lefties on the golf course than I ever did 5 years ago. You know what, I say where the hell did all the righthandedness come from? Why is there so many more righties than lefties? I don't know, I use to like being a lefty much more than I do now, that's for sure.

I have some rotator cuff issues and ligament tears in my right shoulder that make it painful to play. If i have surgery on it I'll be out of the game for six months :( I have thought about switching only in the context of reducing the stress on my right shoulder.

I am also naturally RH but LH for golf, baseball, hockey. This is apparently quite common among Canadians. I wouldnt switch now as think its too late, but if I had the choice I would play RH. I miss out on so much cool equipment from companies that dont have any lefty love like Srixon.

I am also naturally RH but LH for golf, baseball, hockey. This is apparently quite common among Canadians. I wouldnt switch now as think its too late, but if I had the choice I would play RH. I miss out on so much cool equipment from companies that dont have any lefty love like Srixon.

Very true ripper, 35% of all golf equipment sold in Canada is left handed. This isn't because there are more lefties here, but simply I believe that due to hockey, swinging left handed isn't discoraged at a young age. If you naturally swing a club left handed you just go for it from there.

I'm the same way. Except not Canadian.

I have thought about it, but mostly because of the difficulty in finding and trying clubs. Also because I am a bit ambidextrous, I bat lefty, but throw righty, bowl lefty, hockey lefty, but tennis righty, I thought it might be a little easier than most.

I am right handed, but in baseball I bat left handed, so golfing this way was more natural. I try to use my dad's right handed clubs, but I just can't turn through. I would rather devote my time to becoming a scratch golfer left handed.

I have some rotator cuff issues and ligament tears in my right shoulder that make it painful to play. If i have surgery on it I'll be out of the game for six months :( I have thought about switching only in the context of reducing the stress on my right shoulder.

Crafty I had a buddy have shoulder surgery and didn't want to miss golf. Surgery was in October and he rehabbed all winter and by March he was back to a 7 handicap. I had hoped to kick his butt at least once but nope!!

Crafty I had a buddy have shoulder surgery and didn't want to miss golf. Surgery was in October and he rehabbed all winter and by March he was back to a 7 handicap. I had hoped to kick his butt at least once but nope!!

Good to know. I'm going to consider it this winter. I really don't want to be laid up for that long. I can deal with the pain. I just don't throw anything anymore and I make sure I warm up really well before I play golf. Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and get it done.

Back