Cleveland Releases New 588 Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the official Press Release on these wedges:

CLEVELAND® GOLF INTRODUCES 588® FORGED WEDGE​
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA –August 29, 2011 – Cleveland® Golf, the winners of more than 335 PGA Tour championships, including 26 majors, is extremely pleased to introduce the new 588® Forged wedge. The 588® Forged wedge, which maintains the popular, tour-proven shape of Cleveland® Golf’s original 588® wedge, offers a series of technological breakthroughs to provide added performance benefits for players of all abilities.

Made from 1025 carbon steel, the 588® Forged wedge offers golfers an incredibly soft yet solid feel and less unwanted vibration. The advanced Precision Forging process ensures the highest level of part-to-part manufacturing consistency for supreme confidence and trust over every shot. The 588® Forged wedge’s Tour Zip Grooves™ and Laser Milled™ technology help to maximize spin in accordance with USGA regulations. Also, exclusive to the 588® Forged wedge is the Tour Concept steel shaft, co-developed and engineered by Cleveland® Golf and industry leader True Temper. With a unique stiffness profile that features a less active tip, this shaft promotes a more
penetrating ball flight, increased spin and optimal distance control along with superior feel.

“The confidence-inspiring shape of the original 588 wedge remains the standard by which all competitors’ wedges have been judged for more than 23 years, and attempting to build upon that benchmark is not a task we take lightly at Cleveland Golf,” said Todd Harman, President of Cleveland® Golf/Srixon® - U.S.A. “Our 588 wedge is the most popular wedge in the history of the game, and with sales in excess of 3 million units worldwide, it’s arguably the single most successful golf club ever brought to market. Our new 588® Forged wedge not only lives up to the 588® legacy, it takes Cleveland wedges to a whole new level.”

Available in Chrome and Satin finishes, Cleveland® Golf’s 588® Forged wedges will begin shipping in November 2011 with a listed minimum advertised price (MAP) of $139.99. Available in a variety of loft and bounce options, the
588® Forged wedge can also be personalized at MyCustomWedge.com with an array of color, logo, shaft and grind options.

More Info:
Spoiler
THP had a petition so to speak a while back to bring back the 588 wedge and low and behold, Cleveland is doing just that.

Features
The same original Tour Proven 588 wedge shape.
For more than 20 years, the tour-proven shape of the original 588 wedge has been the standard by which all competitors’ wedges have been judged. The new 588 forged wedge maintains this confidence-inspiring look, which golfers of all skill levels can appreciate for its timeless beauty and versatile design. It offers the highest level of all-around performance no matter what shot is required.

Forged 1025 Carbon Steel Construction
Laser Milled™ Technology
Using the precision accuracy of a laser, four perfectly calibrated texture lines are milled between each groove of a 588 forged wedge exactly to the conforming roughness limit. This breakthrough surface roughness application optimizes ball-to-face friction, maximizing spin under the rules of golf.

The 588 forged wedge features Tour Zip Grooves™, which are crafted with precise milling technology that preserves groove edges and maintains perfect groove consistency. These grooves have the maximum allowable dimensions in accordance with USGA requirements.

Tour Concept Wedge Shaft co-developed and engineered by True Temper and Cleveland Golf
Exclusive stiffness profile with a less active tip.
More penetrating ball flight, increased spin and optimal distance control – along with superior feel.

Exclusive to the 588 forged wedge is the Tour Concept Wedge shaft, co-developed and engineered by Cleveland Golf and industry leader True Temper. With a unique stiffness profile that features a less active tip, this shaft promotes a more penetrating ball flight, increased spin and optimal distance control – along with the superior feel expected from True Temper.

Multiple Bounce and Finish Options
Finish options include Black Pearl and High Polish Chrome. Three different bounces: Low, Standard, and High.
Allows players to select wedges best suited to aesthetic preferences and course conditions.

In addition to 10 different loft options, different finishes are available in the 588 line – including sleek Black Pearl and striking High Polish Chrome. There also are low, standard and high bounce options to allow players to select wedges best suited to their aesthetic preferences and conditions of the courses they play.

MyCustomWedge.com
Customize the colors, logo, name inscription and more on every 588 wedge.
Add personal style and flair to every 588 wedge.

Players have the ability to customize each of their 588 forged wedges by visiting MyCustomWedge.com. Choose from an array of color options for the font, different logos, a custom name inscription and more.

i-C5Gtm2j-L.jpg

i-mgHcMCZ-L.jpg

i-N3LDn32-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! :in-love:

Great job THP in helping bring these things back!

Dang it I just got the Nikes!!!:sidefrown:

umm, they look like Vokey's. Not that that's a bad thing, just the first thing I thought of.

WOW those are SICK!! Sorry Nike VR Forged Wedges. Time to go BYE BYE!! Guess they need to buy the domain name for MyCustomWedge.com ..lol it is a dead link

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do these have to come out??? That is freaking awesome. I cannot wait to see the black pearl!

Absolutely beautiful.

They do look a little like Vokeys. But they're Clevelands so we know they'll offer much more. Might have to put the Nike wedge ponderment on hold now.

I love it, THP demands it and it is done. Great decision Cleveland, I love the looks of these.

from every angle except 'face on' it looks like a vokey!!

304760_10150345772995479_84246825478_10114806_7795627_n.jpg

I just bought Eidolon's, I just bought Eidolon's, I just bought Eidolon's, I just bought Eidolon's, I just bought Eidolon's....

umm, they look like Vokey's. Not that that's a bad thing, just the first thing I thought of.

I'm very excited about these! Glad to have the 588s back!
I love that they are carrying the customization over like they did with the NC putters.

TC I was thinking the same thing

I love that matte look.

Why do I foresee a fire sale on wedges in the marketplace here very soon?

Good on Cleveland - great news!!

Behold the power of THP!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nice looking wedge. I like the customization idea.

The mycustomwedge thing is great

Me too. Very interesting

The mycustomwedge thing is great

GAME CHANGER..

Can you offer a link on this as google isnt helping me.

mycustomwedge.com
All the details are in the first post.

Eh, too busy for me. Just like vokeys

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

The new shaft sounds very interesting to me!

Great looking wedge and I'm looking forward to getting some swings in with one.

Back