Tiger Thinks He's Still the Best

I like to see Tiger expressing his confidence again. I want to see that same confidence when he reaches the green!

It funny there the keyword is WHEN. It's been how long already and he still hasn't really impressed most of us. I do like his attitude though, on the other hand when asked who is the best player in the world he isn't going to name some other PGA tour pro.

I like his confidence and it's what's needed to win tournaments.

Exactly. Its great that he is playing better and is finding his game again, but like you said, the big key word there is, "when".

I saw the interview when it first aired on sportscenter, I thought the interview was very uncomfortable. both guys interactions seemed ackward and forced, which wasn't helped by the fact that, i thought at least, the questions Rinaldi asked were mediocre, and that's being generous.

"tiger do you think you'll break jacks' record", what's he supposed to answer to that? no tom, i think i'll be stuck on 14 for the rest of my career, i'm just going through the motions for a paycheck.

I saw the interview when it first aired on sportscenter, I thought the interview was very uncomfortable. both guys interactions seemed ackward and forced, which wasn't helped by the fact that, i thought at least, the questions Rinaldi asked were mediocre, and that's being generous.

"tiger do you think you'll break jacks' record", what's he supposed to answer to that? no tom, i think i'll be stuck on 14 for the rest of my career, i'm just going through the motions for a paycheck.
Nice one! We'll see what happens, I like seeing his confidence is still high.

When the putts start dropping instead of burning the edges, he will be back. Watching his rounds this year, I think his lack of getting putts to drop is what has really hurt him. He is still inconsistent off the tee like he always has been, but the putts haven't made it in the hole like they did before. I believe before he was able to will the putts in and that isn't happening now. I expect him to win 2 tournaments this year, and maybe the Masters.

I would love for him to win, I want him to be feared again, I want him to dominate again.

But I'd rather see his attitude get better before he wins again. Do you ever see phil or bubba or even lee westwood slam their club down?

Tiger had it right when he turned to a Canadian for help. He just can't handle the heat. Wonder why he doesnt play the Canadian open anymore? Our girls probably ran him ragged.

From the iPhone.

I'm on the other side in regards to his behavior. I say he should just go back to how he was on the course and stop trying to control his emotions, you are who you are. I don't watch him to see how he behaves, I watch him to see him win and hit great shots.

I'd been extremely surprised, had he said otherwise.

At the beginning of this year I was in the camp that thought tiger would come storming back... I'm not sure anymore. While doubt is creeping in I want to see what his games like at Augusta. If he fails there- I just don't know..

Tapping and talking since 2010.

I'm on the other side in regards to his behavior. I say he should just go back to how he was on the course and stop trying to control his emotions, you are who you are. I don't watch him to see how he behaves, I watch him to see him win and hit great shots.

He is trying to control his emotions? Good lord!

He is trying to control his emotions? Good lord!

up late or early? heh the drawing isnt for 7 hours!

I would love for him to win, I want him to be feared again, I want him to dominate again.

But I'd rather see his attitude get better before he wins again. Do you ever see phil or bubba or even lee westwood slam their club down?

I agree totally. I love everyone chasing Tiger. When he is playing dominant golf it makes the sport so much more interesting to watch, but his attitude must change.

Tiger's showing of emotions saddens alot of people...I really dont think its that big of a deal, people let their kids watch movies with cursing, violence, and sex, but when Tiger does it, on a golf course its so horrible, a golf course is not holy ground...most people curse...or have cursed before, I just always wonder what we would find out about most people if they had a camera and microphone on you every time you played golf on the biggest stages for millions of dollars.

I think you're kinda right. Showing emotions is fine....how you show those emotions and the kind of emotions that are shown are another thing
Tiger's showing of emotions saddens alot of people...I really dont think its that big of a deal, people let their kids watch movies with cursing, violence, and sex, but when Tiger does it, on a golf course its so horrible, a golf course is not holy ground...most people curse...or have cursed before, I just always wonder what we would find out about most people if they had a camera and microphone on you every time you played golf on the biggest stages for millions of dollars.

Yet so many other golfers are not shown having these same issues and the man HIMSELF said it was something he wanted to change. He has embraced the role model or should say HAD embraced the role model and rode it to close to a billion dollars because he is/was the best. Some people dont care about it and some people do, but the analogy that if you put the camera on others at the biggest stage for millions you would do it to does not work, because you just dont see everybody doing it. There are a lot of guys that get camera time at tournaments, some even close to as much as TW, yet with the exception of an occasional outburst, you do not see or hear it from others. Yet you can count on it EVERY single tournament from TW. Does that make him a bad person? No, but according to HIM, it does show a lack of respect for the game. Again, that is according to HIM, not me or anybody else.

Yet so many other golfers are not shown having these same issues and the man HIMSELF said it was something he wanted to change. He has embraced the role model or should say HAD embraced the role model and rode it to close to a billion dollars because he is/was the best. Some people dont care about it and some people do, but the analogy that if you put the camera on others at the biggest stage for millions you would do it to does not work, because you just dont see everybody doing it. There are a lot of guys that get camera time at tournaments, some even close to as much as TW, yet with the exception of an occasional outburst, you do not see or hear it from others. Yet you can count on it EVERY single tournament from TW. Does that make him a bad person? No, but according to HIM, it does show a lack of respect for the game. Again, that is according to HIM, not me or anybody else.

Tiger has been cursing for years on the golf course. I dont think HE just realized that it was disrespectful to the game, I think he is giving the answer that EVERYONE wants to HEAR. Tiger himself also said that people were looking way too deep into the comments of him saying that He was going to tone down his emotions. And I honestly think no one gets even close to the TV time that Tiger gets, they show every shot, every shot, then 7 analysts say 7 different things. And I was saying that I dont understand why it saddens so many people, a golf course is not holy ground. I have seen Phil slam a club in the bag or mouthed a curse word....my point is that IT HAPPENS, no need for everyone to be so saddened. I have seen many pros slam a club into the ground and mouth curse words. Tiger has to do what is POLITICALLY CORRECT in every situation. Once again im not saying that it is ok, Im saying I dont see anything wrong with it or why so many get so saddened and disappointed. And you say that Tiger rode it close to a billion dollars, I would almost argue the opposite, HE was RODE. Tiger was the soul reason that people were watching golf for awhile there. If golf paid Tiger what they owed him, he would be a multi-billionare. I submit way more money has been made off of the back of Tiger.

Once again im not saying that it is ok, Im saying I dont see anything wrong with it or why so many get so saddened and disappointed. And you say that Tiger rode it close to a billion dollars, I would almost argue the opposite, HE was RODE. Tiger was the soul reason that people were watching golf for awhile there. If golf paid Tiger what they owed him, he would be a multi-billionare. I submit way more money has been made off of the back of Tiger.

Interesting and somewhat contradictory in that bolded piece.

And if you think Tiger was rode while he earned close to a billion dollars, I got news for you. Look at the Golf Datatech numbers and see how many brands picked up marketshare with sponsoring him and how many lost share when you factor in his payments. It was equal across the board and while people profited, it is absolutely absurd to paint a portrait like that that shows a victimization of him.

And if you think Tiger was rode while he earned close to a billion dollars, I got news for you. Look at the Golf Datatech numbers and see how many brands picked up marketshare with sponsoring him and how many lost share when you factor in his payments. It was equal across the board and while people profited, it is absolutely absurd to paint a portrait like that that shows a victimization of him.

Not painting him a victim at all, im saying equal benefit, he RODE them and they RODE him, which is what happens when you enter into contract agreements, both parties are supposed to BENEFIT. You saying they rode him as if those companies did not profit was NOT PRESENTING BOTH SIDES, those companies were better off with Tiger(pre-scandal). Thats the simple truth. It is equally absurd to paint the picture that Tiger was the only one to profit, correct? And the bolded statement was not contradictory at all. Maybe I wasnt clear. Let me try to clarify, in Tiger's position in the world it is not ok for him to do those things, too much scrutiny, too many people going to judge him forgetting that he is HUMAN, but in my personal opinion I dont see anything wrong with it or think its that big of a deal. I tend to agree with George Carlin about "bad words". All humans are different, for some its easy to keep their emotions in check for others its not.

I would almost argue the opposite, HE was RODE. Tiger was the soul reason that people were watching golf for awhile there. If golf paid Tiger what they owed him, he would be a multi-billionare. I submit way more money has been made off of the back of Tiger.

Not painting him a victim at all, im saying equal benefit, he RODE them and they RODE him,

Really? I give up. I said my thoughts and have been here long enough to know where this is going. If you are okay with it, my hats off to you.

Tiger does need to control his emotions, his tantrums are a stain on the game. Golf is designed to be the ultimate gentleman's sport, and when tiger is on the course acting like bob knight after bad call, it makes him look ridiculous and is really just embarressing to everyone involved.

As a personal aside, i don't like it because it encourages "that guy". "that guy" see's tiger acting like a 2 year old and in his mind it justifies his own nonsense. "tiger throws clubs because he cares, he wants to win. i want to win to, i need to show my emotions by digging holes to china after every shanked 6 iron.

The whole thing just shows a lack of respect for the game. Golf history is paved with guys who demonstrated etiquette and respect even in the face of adversity and mistakes worse than a wayward 5 wood. If tiger wants to swear, i have no problem with that, everybody swears in their own way after bad things, i don't have a problem with that even if the network mics pick it up, to me that's not something i hold against tiger or anbody; but the club throwing nonsense there is no place for.

Really? I give up. I said my thoughts and have been here long enough to know where this is going. If you are okay with it, my hats off to you.

I dont know what the I know where this is going comment means, so ok. Simple fact is that in your previous post you ONLY acknowledged that Tiger rode the companies to a billion dollars then I argued that he was also Rode, I NEVER SAID HE WAS A VICTIM. That was your assumption, I said that if you were to add up all of the money made off of the back of Tiger Woods, the money the tour has made and his endorsers, they have gained more than Tiger. Tiger is the MAIN ATTRACTION to GOLF its that simple, he is always talked about, every analysts insists that the state of golf is better when he is playing. Why do you think the commisioner of the PGA Tour wants him to committ to tournaments way in advance beacause he knows people want to see Tiger, many want to see him fail, but they still want to watch Tiger. How can someone be a victim that made a billion dollars from his ability to hit a ball with a stick? I never used the word victim. You made it seem that Tiger was the only one that benefited. I use the term rode his back because its true, Nike golf is popular largely because of Tiger. People said if Tiger can trust Nike so can I, better yet most people said if the NUMBER ONE PLAYER IN THE WORLD can trust it, so can I. As of now I think Nike golf would be fine without him, but in the beginning they needed Tiger. Attaching your product to someones name is riding them, you need the name in most cases to validate the product, not vice versa. And Tiger's other name for a long time was NUMBER ONE PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!! Titleist balls attaches themselves to being the number one ball in golf, majority of people believe that, Taylormade the number one driver, how many people have those R11's? ALOT! You benefit from being associated with NUMBER 1!

Another thought, we have talked on here about who done the white driver before Taylormade....and we all have agreed that it didnt take off until the "NUMBER ONE DRIVER in GOLF" decided to do it.

Last edited:

I know nothing about the brands and the data you cite, but I'm happy to take your word for it as I'm sure it's true. On the other hand, there's the Tour as a whole, The Golf Channel, the network coverage, the prize money - all of which grew exponentially as an indisputable, direct result of TW. Just sayin'...

Here's an interesting tidbit from a couple years ago on TV ratings as just one example:

In the immediate wake of The Tiger Show at Torrey Pines, the Tour was riding a crest: Its prime-time rating and audience share for NBC's final-round telecast that Sunday (10.0/20) had been even higher than the figures for the competing NBA Finals Game 5 on ABC (9.0/16).

Since then, however, golf's TV ratings have fallen into the abyss. Despite Padraig Harrington's thrilling victory on Sunday at Oakland Hills, the overnight rating for the PGA Championship was 3.0, down 55% from last year's final round at Southern Hills — an event won by (surely you recall) Woods.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1831670,00.html#ixzz1Gy0gnvlm

- what's a 55% increase in ratings for 4 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday on just one weekend worth to a network? Tens of Millions of dollars is the answer. Now multiply that by 20 events, plus the Thurs., Fri. rounds, plus the after-event coverage on TGC. Now multiply that by his 15 years on tour - starting to be a pretty big number.

He certainly got/gets his fair share. I'm not saying he's been used or anything, just that he more than earned his money. My two cents (okay, maybe 1.5 cents :D)

Not sure any tour level player will say they are not the best. I would think you need an ego the size of Texas and confidence to the max to play at that level. Why tee it up if you don't think you are going to win?

I never used the word victim. You made it seem that Tiger was the only one that benefited. I use the term rode his back because its true, Nike golf is popular largely because of Tiger. People said if Tiger can trust Nike so can I, better yet most people said if the NUMBER ONE PLAYER IN THE WORLD can trust it, so can I.

I truly do give up, but some of this is quite funny. First you say "I never said this" and then you say "you make it seem"... Pot Kettle?

You clearly are missing some sales facts here. TW being number one made Nike Golf huh? Did it help? Of course, but it couldn't have anything to do with them being the most dominant sports brand in the world right? Then explain why their hard goods sales (equipment) has struggled year after year? Losing marketshare at his peak in fact. I often wonder where things come from. I urge you to check on some research about the brand and their numbers (it can be found), just like Nike being the 1st with XYZ ball. All information can be found with some research.

I think its great that you love the brand (I do too) and great that you are a fan of his (I was too), and I have NEVER denied what he has done for the game of golf, but he does not get a pass (nor should anybody) because of those accomplishments. This time I am officially out.

Back