Cleveland Releases New 588 Wedges

Beautiful wedges. Too bad I already have wedges galore.

So then why the design? Why not more of a throwback to the originals? I want to hear some thoughts on this.

After starting at these for a few minutes I have to say I'm kind of in agreement with you. I mean I don't really put that much weight into cavity graphics and all but they should have gone completely throw back. Maybe you can customize off some of the graphics on mycustomwedge?:confused2:

Do you think these will be available in a rust color? I am all about some rust lately.:alien:

I don't know how popular the old wedges were but if they weren't a good seller perhaps they didn't want to revisit a past design?

I think they looked at the Vokeys, saw that they're still #1 in wedges, and said 'oh yeah?' and made a design eerily similar to them. Cleveland does more pricing promotions than Titleist so they may be going for the crowd who wants a Titleist in looks and performance but don't want to pay the price

So then why the design? Why not more of a throwback to the originals? I want to hear some thoughts on this.

I don't know how popular the old wedges were but if they weren't a good seller perhaps they didn't want to revisit a past design?

I think they looked at the Vokeys, saw that they're still #1 in wedges, and said 'oh yeah?' and made a design eerily similar to them. Cleveland does more pricing promotions than Titleist so they may be going for the crowd who wants a Titleist in looks and performance but don't want to pay the price

The old 588's were the most popular wedge out there Hanks.:flowers4u:

THis makes a lot of sense Hanks, and kind of where my thoughts are as well. I don't know though, I fell in love with Cleveland's wedges b/c they weren't Vokeys, and now they look just like them. I guess I'm just sad about it.

Nice...will definitely have to check these out. My 900 series forged wedges are pretty worn out and I was about to replace the whole set with Mizuno's...time to ponder.

How much do the 588's compare to the cg15's. What made the old 588's so popular?

I'm with you dude. Cleveland has been cutting edge with ideas (lighter/longer/faster, milled grooves, stock Miyazaki shafts, etc) so not seeing an original or improved design upon their existing one is disappointing. Still worth checking out though

THis makes a lot of sense Hanks, and kind of where my thoughts are as well. I don't know though, I fell in love with Cleveland's wedges b/c they weren't Vokeys, and now they look just like them. I guess I'm just sad about it.

I'm with you dude. Cleveland has been cutting edge with ideas (lighter/longer/faster, milled grooves, stock Miyazaki shafts, etc) so not seeing an original or improved design upon their existing one is disappointing. Still worth checking out though

I agree buddy, and I will check them out for sure, but I have to be honest, I've enjoyed the Mizzie's.

How much do the 588's compare to the cg15's. What made the old 588's so popular?

At the time I think they were pretty groundbreaking. I'm old so my memory is not as good as others but they were heavier and had more options. You couldn't find a bag at the local CC that didn't have a 588 in it.

I just don't know where you get groundbreaking in wedge design anymore. :confused2:

I just don't know where you get groundbreaking in wedge design anymore. :confused2:

I don't know if you can either but they have a shaft in these that's new, and if you're going to relaunch then at least pay homage to the original in your design standards. Like I said, mimic the old cavity, that would've been sick. Now they just look like Vokey knock offs. Big mistake if you ask me.

I don't know if you can either but they have a shaft in these that's new, and if you're going to relaunch then at least pay homage to the original in your design standards. Like I said, mimic the old cavity, that would've been sick. Now they just look like Vokey knock offs. Big mistake if you ask me.

I agree:cake:

JB has been quiet so far....he must be customizing some new wedges now lol

JB has been quiet so far....he must be customizing some new wedges now lol

Wait till they release the mycustomstaffbag.com. We won't hear from him for months:cleveland:

Holy smokes Cleveland is BRNGING it!!!

The 588 is such a classic like the Ping Eye 2. I will have to give these a shot and see how they compare to the CG16s.

I have a feeling that I'll be picking up some of these beauties when they are released!

From Cleveland's Twitter feed:
The 588 Forged boasts 1025 carbon steel for incredibly soft, solid feel. #588Forged

Are they implying these are softer than their cast offerings?

RS version as well?

I agree with the mountain man. If you're going to bring an old name like 588 back, bring it all the way back: same head shape, same type of stampings. I realize that no one looks at the back of the club when they are playing a shot, and I'm not one to talk about the backs of clubs considering I'm playing the R11 irons and XFT wedges now....all of that said, I would have preferred less stampings on the back, and hope that's an option on the custom site.

From Cleveland's Twitter feed:
The 588 Forged boasts 1025 carbon steel for incredibly soft, solid feel. #588Forged

Are they implying these are softer than their cast offerings?

I think so...Forged usually feels softer coming off the face on full shots (I know my irons feel softer then any ive played and they are 1020)

I'm sure they will be excellent wedges. I like the shape a lot, but the graphics and stampings on the back look hideous. I will probably stick with my non conforming vokey's which are the best wedges I have ever hit.

Back