No topping and new swing after one youtube video from Shawn Clement

farmgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
high
I can hit ball ok when it is on the tee, but I struggle when the ball in on the ground, probably only 3 out 10 times that ball gets high in the air, but to achive tha I have to lower my back, knees.

Today i was again watching on youtube some golf videos and found several about how to improve topping the ball.Among others there was this video from golf teacher Shawn Clement and it was quite interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ir7nSa6i0&feature=relmfu

So after watching it several times I headed straight to the driving range and started with PW this new way of swing (lean forward to my left with both knees). Probably I also did some other non concios alterations but I felt completely different at the top of the backwing, like a bow ready to be released :act-up: . And the results of shot I still can not belive .
I hit 80 or 90 % of all shots high in the air, no topping at all. Then I progressed and it was still great for 8i, 7i, 6i. Ok there were more problems with longer clubs but it doesnt matter.Then I tried from the tee the same recipe for hybrids and it also worked great.

I feel like i just newly discovered golf he he. But as we all know, next day it can be very different on range or course, but I hope this new way of swinging will be so successul for longer time.

Congratulations! Break-throughs like this are fantastic aren't they!

Congratulations! Break-throughs like this are fantastic aren't they!

They are indeed and btw congratulation to yours about hitting fades and draws.

Glad you are excited over the AHA moment, that is what golf is all about.

Good for you. Keep it :banana:up

Thanks for sharing! I love to hear about those break-through moments. Just watched the Shawn Clement video again!

Congrats on the breakthrough....sounds similar to the stack and tilt method.

I enjoyed that video. I love how well Shawn Clement explains things, he makes it seem so simple.

Nice video thanks

Thanks for sharing, I´ll tinker some with this on my next rangesession. Tried some on our lawn, but some people in our household didn´t apreciate my divots for some reason....

Perfect timing, yesterday I went out for 18 and was topping 50%+ of my shots. Needless to say I shot my worst round this year :( I'm going to study this video and put the forward lean into practice right away. Funny thing is I use the forward lean on pitch shots, and was making solid contact with those. I didn't think of using it for full iron shots... duh!!

Congrats! I will also try this out at the range!

Good that it helped others too.
Thanks for mentioning stack and tilt method..after watching some about it the basic idea seems similar, just the presenters make the method quite complicated to follow.

I didnt have a chance to go to driving range..so I just practiced a bit on the home yard with Air flow balls. The results were not so good as day before with this method (almost extreme push of both knees forward), so I tinkered a bit
and now have some in-between solution..less push of knees, but still more weight on front foot and the results are OK. Must wait till newxt range session to see if it still works.

So far, it's an epiphany, went out and played 9 this afternoon- did not top ANY irons. Best ball striking day I've had in a long time. Thanks again for posting this!

Always good to hear about break-through moments...congrats

I have no problem with this for my irons, but my hybrids struggle with getting down and compacting the ball. I'm going to have to give this a shot this weekend at the range.

Good that it helped others too.
Thanks for mentioning stack and tilt method..after watching some about it the basic idea seems similar, just the presenters make the method quite complicated to follow.

I didnt have a chance to go to driving range..so I just practiced a bit on the home yard with Air flow balls. The results were not so good as day before with this method (almost extreme push of both knees forward), so I tinkered a bit
and now have some in-between solution..less push of knees, but still more weight on front foot and the results are OK. Must wait till newxt range session to see if it still works.

I think I remember Shawn saying that what you're doing is NOT the Stack-n-Tilt. He loves describing things with analogies and the weight forward with the 'tilt' is based on another series of videos he did after seeing his son on a 'tilted spiral' or something like that. Let me go find those videos. Just a sec...

Okay, I'm back... Check these out.

Part 1 - Tilted Spiral
[YOUTUBE]Mu7hZa93N18[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2
[YOUTUBE]2DMwiBkvrkg[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3
[YOUTUBE]Uv3chp6WHG4[/YOUTUBE]

Farmgolf, thank you for posting that video. I watched less than half the other night and got the idea of what he was training here, but kind of forgot about it until yesterday on the 2nd hole faced with what's been the worst shot in golf for me, 45 yards to the pin. This one was over water to a front pin that sloped down towards that water. No idea why it popped into my head, but I tried it and the ball came in nice and low, hopped once and stuck sweet. My aim was a bit left, but I could see it was the way to go, so I dropped several balls on the spot and hit some of the best shots ever to that kind of spot. This one shot helped me to score my second best round of the year with a 76 and it wasn't until today that I remembered where I had seen it.

I just finished watching the rest and you can bet it will make a huge difference in my game. I can't wait to see these other's posted by Dannyka. Thanks guys, this is what makes THP the best!

Shawn Clement and his videos are great! They've helped me a ton. But just to clarify, he isn't advocating the stack and tilt method. Its his own method, a lot of it based on Hogan's principles actually. The "tilt" is very very similar to the reverse K that Hogan advocates.

So he is saying I should have the majority of my weight on my front foot? This is much different than what I have learned in lessons, does it sap a lot of distance out of the swing?

So he is saying I should have the majority of my weight on my front foot? This is much different than what I have learned in lessons, does it sap a lot of distance out of the swing?

No sir. You are hitting the ball first and depending on the distance/swing speed compressing the ball much better. I did this all day today with solid results. Under a full iron distance such as 60 yards I went up one club knowing I would not compress well and spun the ball to a stop every time. I'm loving the shot!

No sir. You are hitting the ball first and depending on the distance/swing speed compressing the ball much better. I did this all day today with solid results. Under a full iron distance such as 60 yards I went up one club knowing I would not compress well and spun the ball to a stop every time. I'm loving the shot!

Awesome. it looks very natural and like something that would work me. I am going to give it a try this weekend and see how it works. Since it seems to be working for you, I hope you dont mind if I pester you later with some follow up questions after practicing.

Awesome. it looks very natural and like something that would work me. I am going to give it a try this weekend and see how it works. Since it seems to be working for you, I hope you dont mind if I pester you later with some follow up questions after practicing.

No bother ever, pester away. I wish someone would have shown me this shot years ago, lol. I don't exagerate the "C" form as much as he does in the video, but still have it well back and my head some what behind the ball which gives the ball much more spin and a lower trajectory. 1 or 2 hop and stop quick.

Way to go and make a breakthrough - that is exciting. I really take to the way Shawn explains things. I have incorporated the "tilted spiral" into my setup to great effect (as long as I don't aim too far right). When I do this properly, I can hit the nicest, crispest baby draws imaginable. And the ball travels a good 10 yards further than normal.

Back