The Golden Age of Golf Equipment?

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
I was going to just post this in the Cleveland black irons thread, but realized it's about so much more than just those...

It's so obviously true it seems silly to say this in the form of a question, but are we living through the golden age of golf equipment? Some evidence to support the statement.

TM blows away the field with the 2.0s last August and has released what 4 other iron lines since?! All getting positive feedback! So much for the one new set a year from each OEM.

Callaway's X line comes out and also gets rave reviews.

Cleveland puts high-end shafts in hybrids, drivers and now irons.

Almost every OEM is making an adjustable driver with a quality stock shaft and selling them for the usual $300-$400 despite inflation.

hybrids are selling at 2 for $199 with shafts that cost $200 each if you bought just the shaft!

Bridgestone and Srixon have pushed quality ball construction for varying skill level golfers several years ahead in less than 2.

There's probably many more examples, but I'll stop rambling. I just gotta say, it's a very exciting time to be a golfer. (of course, it's also a dangerous time if you have an equipment buying addiction - right Kevin?)

I agree with you Flooder. I love all the competition and marketing and equipment that's a result of it. There's no better time to be a golf equipment junky than right now.

So, what irons are you buying? lol

Well, let's see the list to consider over the winter includes in no particular order...

- R11
- 2.0s
- CG16
- CB2
- Razr X (and/or next year's Callaway offering)
- I'm probably forgetting several others...

So overwhelming!

But in a good way.

Everything in the golf industry is still going strong... Lol

How can you pick just one?
I know I can't!

I'm not as crazy into golf clubs as a lot of people, but it is amazing what is available. I love to look, but will mostly likely be gaming my The Morgan Cup TaylorMade stuff for several years. I am fascinated by the looks of Titleist drivers, but it's more of a looks thing, I find it hard to believe I would hit one significantly better than my R11.

Kevin

I've said it several times on here before, and I'll say it again. These are "the good ol days!" when it comes to golf equipment, based on price, availability, and the sheer number of options for the amateur player.

Seems as if there is new equipment coming out monthly. I love browsing at all the new equipment, but it can be overwhelming....like TC said, in a very good way though.

It's a good time to be a golf junkie.

I'm not as crazy into golf clubs as a lot of people, but it is amazing what is available. I love to look, but will mostly likely be gaming my The Morgan Cup TaylorMade stuff for several years. I am fascinated by the looks of Titleist drivers, but it's more of a looks thing, I find it hard to believe I would hit one significantly better than my R11.

Kevin

I think you would Esox. 910 series is solid. I liked it a lot better than the R11:titleist:

Capitalism rules.

I would agree here... And not only is it the selection availabls, but the technology in that selection is incredible. When I first hit my new hybrid (Razr X), I was amazed by the distance I got on off-center hits. The forgiveness technology is absurd.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I've said it several times on here before, and I'll say it again. These are "the good ol days!" when it comes to golf equipment, based on price, availability, and the sheer number of options for the amateur player.

I agree! To me though, it has been happening for several years. At the same time, with all this is going on with equipment, my index was lower 25 years ago........

With companies coming out with products for more people(except for lefties :angel:) this has to be the golden age. And I'm glad I'm living in it haha

With companies coming out with products for more people(except for lefties :angel:) this has to be the golden age. And I'm glad I'm living in it haha

I agree 100% with this, lefties always get left out, its kinda sad lol

I agree! To me though, it has been happening for several years. At the same time, with all this is going on with equipment, my index was lower 25 years ago........

Well yeah I haven't brought my overall score down to where it was years ago, but I am actually driving the ball farther, straighter, and much more consistently then I did in my twenties. lol

Id definetly say we are living in the golden age of golf equipment. Im personally kind of torn though. On the one hand I love all the new designs and how amazing golf equipment is every year but in some ways I kind of miss the days of persimmon drivers where a wood actually was a wood.

Absolutely. Can you imagine what guys like Hogan or Snead could have done with equipment like this???

I think we are without a doubt. Technology is amazing. But OTOH, I heard on one of the PGA Tour Network talk shows the other day that average scores aren't coming down. For most amateurs, anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Id definetly say we are living in the golden age of golf equipment. Im personally kind of torn though. On the one hand I love all the new designs and how amazing golf equipment is every year but in some ways I kind of miss the days of persimmon drivers where a wood actually was a wood.

I feel the same way at times, but then I go and hit my new driver and it's all good. Sometimes I take out the old timers for a spin or two, despite the weird looks I get for doing so. It reminds me of a line from the Billy Joel song "Keepin the faith"
"the good ol days weren't always good, and tomorrows not as bad as it seems"

i am actually scared about how much the Demo day is gonna cost me after the 2012 Outing. there are so many clubs to try out and theres really not a great place around me to hit them on a range. its amazing how many companies are making such great products right now.

Back