The Golden Age of Golf Equipment?

I think we are without a doubt. Technology is amazing. But OTOH, I heard on one of the PGA Tour Network talk shows the other day that average scores aren't coming down. For most amateurs, anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Of course not! It's more about the swing than anything, and while equipment helps, it can also hurt. A lot of bad golfers just throw money at new equipment and think it will make them better rather than taking lessons.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Of course not! It's more about the swing than anything, and while equipment helps, it can also hurt. A lot of bad golfers just throw money at new equipment and think it will make them better rather than taking lessons.

---

True, but it can be just as frustrating, if not even futile at times, trying to learn with ill fitting equipment.

I feel the same way at times, but then I go and hit my new driver and it's all good. Sometimes I take out the old timers for a spin or two, despite the weird looks I get for doing so. It reminds me of a line from the Billy Joel song "Keepin the faith"
"the good ol days weren't always good, and tomorrows not as bad as it seems"
Very true. Ive got an old persimmon Mizuno driver from the '70s and its fun to get it out every now and then at the range but no way would I give up my MP-600 in favor of it.
I think for me the love for the old wood woods is more in the mystique and the novelty of it.

---

This is what the OEM's are counting on. Some people just have to have the latest, even though it is the same as the one before. Technology can't swing the club and hit the ball. The human still has to do that. There have been gains in equipment in every generation. The only thing that has really changed is the super short cycles of clubs.

This is what the OEM's are counting on. Some people just have to have the latest, even though it is the same as the one before. Technology can't swing the club and hit the ball. The human still has to do that. There have been gains in equipment in every generation. The only thing that has really changed is the super short cycles of clubs.
Very true. Most people would be much better off saving the money they blow on clubs and instead spending it on lessons. I could see updating clubs every 5 years, especially drivers but getting new clubs every year isnt going to gain you much.

if this isn't the golden age, I cant wait to see what is

Back