Phil photographed practicing with a Belly Putter

For some reason I'm not surprised by this. Phil's putting has been so bad that any talk of him doing something different to fix it is the same reaction I get when I hear that tiger is going to play a tournament.....zzzzzzz....

I just don't see this as a huge thing....now if he was going to putt righty yes, but going to a belly putter when others have been doing the same thing....not so much

Did anyone else on the regular tour use one of these with any success before Vijay?

Azinger was using one as far back as 1999. Not sure, but he may have been the first to win with one in 2000.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah, guess my first thought was SO. I'm glad to hear he's doing something, anything to get back in the winners circle.

Tap,Tap,Tap

maybe he will drop his driver and carry 2 putters...

I think this is a great move by Phil. I have zero problems with the longer putters. If the USGA/R&A wants to ban then, that is also fine with me, but they are on the right side of the law ATM. If my paycheck depended on good putting, I would play whatever worked best.

Interesting. I wonder if the USGA will step in now. Now that he's using one hehe

I've always said if Phil could putt he would be one of the all time greats, he isn't far from that as is in my opinion. Good to see him trying something different.

Figured I would throw a picture in the thread of Phil practicing with it...

a_medium.jpg

It is interesting. You know whatever it takes right? Kudos to Phil for trying something different... he is struggling. Makes me wonder if his eyes changed or something because that blade isn't doing it for him... or something.

Alex

I guess one of the greatest player of our generation has decided to try the Belly Putter. Only he knows if it is a good choice but is it OK for Phil to put this in play?
I feel if he does, the belly putter may become the critch of choice ofr guys that feel their putting has been holding them back from more wins. This may become more than just a fleeting moment for the BP.
Why would it not be OK? It's not against the rules.

Yep i couldn't agree more. Kinda funny to think Vijay helped start this trend so long ago. Back then it was only old men who had lost "it" that would even try something like this.

Did anyone else on the regular tour use one of these with any success before Vijay?
Rocco Mediate used one in the early '90s. He wasn't super successful, but he did win with it in 1991 and 1993.

(Rocco used a "long" putter, not a belly putter)

Last edited:
I'd like to see Phil get his putting fixed as well. He's the only player that I expect to make a 20ft putt amperage every time but when he gets over a 4 footer I expect him to miss.

It will be weird to see Phil putt without the hugely pronounced forward press.
That's what I was thinking as well.

His putting has cost him some wins or at least it seems that way. Some interesting putting stats from this year:

Strokes Gained - putting - 87th
Total Putting - 89th
Putting from inside 5' - 122nd
Putting from 5-10' - 84th
Putting from 10-15' - 131st

Going back to 2008 he was 48th and 2007 he was 41st in total putting. Putting stats have progressively gotten worse, so I can see why he is angling for another change.

Imagine the long putter sales next week if Lefty does win. It'll be insane.

I think, Mick would move sales of them more than Scott or Bradley.

No!! Don't do it Phil

MattyCaulk Approved!

Using a belly putter is sooooo last year. *looks at his belly putter cast-offs*

Imagine the long putter sales next week if Lefty does win. It'll be insane.

I think, Mick would move sales of them more than Scott or Bradley.

Yeah he definately would. Phil has a huge fanbase out there, me being one of them. If he wins maybe I will try a long putter...

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Yeah he definately would. Phil has a huge fanbase out there, me being one of them. If he wins maybe I will try a long putter...

---

Think he will actually use it during the tournament or just the pro-am?

Think he will actually use it during the tournament or just the pro-am?

It depends on whether or not it works better for him. I was saying that yes he would definately spike long putter sales, not yes he would definately use it. If he practices with it and it helps him to steady his putting from inside of 10 ft, then there's no reason for him not to use it.

---

It doesn't du rise me seeing how is putting has declined...Phil never was a GREAT putter anyway, but it's gotten worse. Didn't he rotate like 3 putters during the Bridgestone or something like that?

Had phil been a better putter from inside 6 feet, he would have won at least 3 more majors including the US Open....just think of all those second place finishes and then think of all those power lip out 4 footers he missed!

If it works and it's legal, then play it!

I feel his pain, I have way more confidence over a 10' putt than I do a 3 footer!

It depends on whether or not it works better for him. I was saying that yes he would definately spike long putter sales, not yes he would definately use it. If he practices with it and it helps him to steady his putting from inside of 10 ft, then there's no reason for him not to use it.
Well it will sure be interesting to see if it makes any difference. I guess it was only a matter of time Phil is always putting something different in his bag and testing it out.

Maybe he goes with 2 putters in the bag and uses the belly one for the short putts.

This is was what I was going to say. If he sinks putts, he's be crazy not to try it in a tournament.

It's confirmed by the Morning Drive! Phil is bagging the belly putter in today's round.

Back