Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These arrived at THP HQ and we wanted to give you guys a brief unboxing video with some initial thoughts. This thread can be used for reviews from people that have tried the irons and want to help others out with their feedback.

EDIT: Here is the THP home page review of the irons.

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=14936

Last edited:
Better in video than pictures, but still a little techy for my eye. I like how they made it look almost NOTHING like the 15.

Edit: Preemie post, interested in the shaft!

I had not seen these yet. Those are "hefty" looking irons - so much different than what I am used to now. Is this the first time ever to have a soft rubbery material on the cavity of an iron? I like the concept about it helping with sound. Sure is a thick topline but looks like it would super easy to hit with tons of forgiveness. Hopefully I get to hit these at demo day - I think I would enjoy doing a little writeup on these.

I'm not a fan of the look.....at all. They look very clunky. But, the Ping irons always seem to perform well. Looking forward to your review!

I had not seen these yet. Those are "hefty" looking irons - so much different than what I am used to now. Is this the first time ever to have a soft rubbery material on the cavity of an iron? I like the concept about it helping with sound. Sure is a thick topline but looks like it would super easy to hit with tons of forgiveness. Hopefully I get to hit these at demo day - I think I would enjoy doing a little writeup on these.

People have been putting softeners in cavities for YEARS.

I gamed the G15, and I agree that these do not look like them at all. I am looking forward to your review on these, and would be very surprised if you said they did not perform well.

People have been putting softeners in cavities for YEARS.

Have they always been that noticeable? I played the same irons for the past 5 years and really did not spend anytime looking at new equipment until I joined here earlier this year. I am obviously way behind on this one....

I'm looking forward to hearing some people's thoughts on these clubs. I think they look way better than the G15, now to see how they perform compared to them.

really like the looks of these.....might be as 'modern' as PING will get

Have they always been that noticeable? I played the same irons for the past 5 years and really did not spend anytime looking at new equipment until I joined here earlier this year. I am obviously way behind on this one....

Sure. Tons of companies have been doing it for years. I believe Cleveland was the first to make it very noticeable in their VAS irons years ago. Then in recent years, the CG line of red and gold had it as well as the CG14 wedges. Other companies have followed suit with everything from internal "foam" from TaylorMade (see R9 irons) to Nickent.

Ping's G series for the last few lines have been ugly. Its sad because I think their irons are really good and they perform well. However if I had to look down at a G10,G15,G20, Razr X or *INSERT GI or SGI IRON HERE*, there is a good chance I would look at the last 2. Even at the outing my thoughts were that if you could get by the looks, the performance was solid, point, aim and shoot.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reviews on these.

Nike sumos,.... The original Ping badges were softeners aswell werent they?
Sure. Tons of companies have been doing it for years. I believe Cleveland was the first to make it very noticeable in their VAS irons years ago. Then in recent years, the CG line of red and gold had it as well as the CG14 wedges. Other companies have followed suit with everything from internal "foam" from TaylorMade (see R9 irons) to Nickent.

Good video JB. These just seem a bit too big and clunky for me. I like irons with a thin topline and reduced cavity.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I haven't had the chance to hit these, but my father inlaw has and said the feeling of these were "unlike anything he's hit before". He's played the ping anser, JPX Pros and the AP2's so far this year.

I'm intrigued to say the least.

I may be the only one but I like the looks. They look clean to me. I couldnt tell the difference between these and the G15 last night just looking at the soles. People say blades look gorgeous all the time and frankly, a lot of them look pretty plain to me.

I look forward to hearing how these perform, I've never been a huge fan but if they perform might be worth a look.

Like the look, my uncle has them and I want to get up with him to hear his thoughts. Never really was a Ping guy but I do like the look of these irons.

look at post #9 haha

I may be the only one but I like the looks. They look clean to me. I couldnt tell the difference between these and the G15 last night just looking at the soles. People say blades look gorgeous all the time and frankly, a lot of them look pretty plain to me.

I look forward to hearing how these perform, I've never been a huge fan but if they perform might be worth a look.

look at post #9 haha

Lol.. yeah I shouldve worded it better... In the minority. I just don't get the hate for the looks. I've seen plenty of irons that are uglier :)

I think they look pretty nice.

I'm very interested to see if they really have that 'consistent' distance that they spoke so much about in the intro videos.

really like the looks of these.....might be as 'modern' as PING will get

they do appear to be improving. But the past few lines just haven't been as "smooth" looking as others in the same category IMO.

I played Th G15's. Thes look a bit difference like to read if there is improvement in this over them

I really like Ping clubs. These look good to me. Can't wait hear how they perform. Maybe looking to replace my trusty G5's.

I think that's a good point....in trying to 'modernize' they may be losing some of their 'classic/clean' look

they do appear to be improving. But the past few lines just haven't been as "smooth" looking as others in the same category IMO.

Back