2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im very curious what you find easier? Outside of balls holding on the green (that you mentioned) which is a hindrance as much as it is a benefit Having played a LOT of golf in the midwest during my time with a sports league, it is exactly the opposite for me. Tons more water, more bunkers and deeper rough is the norm and while its not a knock against golf in other areas (I love midwest golf), I certainly did not find it easier.

There are longer days in FL. More setup time for CG13.

I'm going to leave the 'construction' for the general contractors of this thread....lmoa

For those that have never played golf in the great state of Flo-Rida it will be heavy with warmth and moisture when you wake from the Villa crawl. Early morning in central florida with a cup of java, watching the dew burn off from the ever raising heat, is great. The fairways are tight and the rough is thick and damp until about 10am. The greens will be firm and roll as true as a marble on the hood of a Lexus (remember those commercials) Oh yeah, the grain of the greens will be in play. I'm actually going to post a little video on reading the grain in the coming days. Just a little trick I use but it will help you when you reach the greens. It will quell some of your frustrations as it pertains to the greens. Low to mid ball flights will get some good roll, higher balls flights not so much. all that I am sharing is based on my 10 plus years in Orlando. Others may or may not agree, just a little food for thought.

Very cool of you to do Tadashi, and that thick rough can eat you alive, it doesn't pay to try the hero shot from the heavy rough unless your last name is Woods or Mickelson thats for sure.

I'm going to leave the 'construction' for the general contractors of this thread....lmoa

For those that have never played golf in the great state of Flo-Rida it will be heavy with warmth and moisture when you wake from the Villa crawl. Early morning in central florida with a cup of java, watching the dew burn off from the ever raising heat, is great. The fairways are tight and the rough is thick and damp until about 10am. The greens will be firm and roll as true as a marble on the hood of a Lexus (remember those commercials) Oh yeah, the grain of the greens will be in play. I'm actually going to post a little video on reading the grain in the coming days. Just a little trick I use but it will help you when you reach the greens. It will quell some of your frustrations as it pertains to the greens. Low to mid ball flights will get some good roll, higher balls flights not so much. all that I am sharing is based on my 10 plus years in Orlando. Others may or may not agree, just a little food for thought.

please do, and when you do, send me a PM so I know to try to find it in this thread, as lord knows I need all the help I can get when Im down there in a few weeks

I look forward to the video and your insights. If the video is not posted here, can you link to it here?

I don't mind the bermuda rough that much. Just seems to work for me ok I guess. I hate our rough here.

Just a quick reminder: TEAM THP will dominate.

I don't mind the bermuda rough that much. Just seems to work for me ok I guess. I hate our rough here.

Just a quick reminder: TEAM THP will dominate.

I agree. I didn't find the rough any worse than what I play around here. One course in particular, Falls Village, I lose balls in the rough even if they are just a few feet off line. Maybe the steepness of my swing makes cutting through the rough a little easier. I had a heck of a time with reading the greens down there:banghead:

I agree. I didn't find the rough any worse than what I play around here. One course in particular, Falls Village, I lose balls in the rough even if they are just a few feet off line. Maybe the steepness of my swing makes cutting through the rough a little easier. I had a heck of a time with reading the greens down there:banghead:

I agree and don't agree. Don't agree that Team THP will dominate. :D

Agree that bermuda greens can be a pain in the a$$ to read and get the speed down. Played one recently that absolutely kicked my behind...totally different than what many of us are used to.

I actually like the greens much better as well. At least the ones I've played on in FL.

I actually like the greens much better as well. At least the ones I've played on in FL.

I agree for some reason I usually putt pretty well on the greens I've played in FL.

I agree for some reason I usually putt pretty well on the greens I've played in FL.

I think we've been pretty blessed with greens that were in good condition and were fast. I like fast greens.

Reading greens don't matter when you putt like an ape. I think people read too much when in Florida.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Reading greens don't matter when you putt like an ape. I think people read too much when in Florida.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

And leave everything short. No matter what the speed. Its not the speed that does it, but the fact that they are reading too much break. Then again, most people leave all their putts short (as I learned in golf myths radio show). The difference to me with FL golf then elsewhere outside of the grass differences is the penalties for missing off the tee and with the approach are usually more severe. Obviously a general statement, but more bunkers, more water and thicker rough is what the norm is for the most part, especially during season.

And leave everything short. No matter what the speed. Its not the speed that does it, but the fact that they are reading too much break. Then again, most people leave all their putts short (as I learned in golf myths radio show). The difference to me with FL golf then elsewhere outside of the grass differences is the penalties for missing off the tee and with the approach are usually more severe. Obviously a general statement, but more bunkers, more water and thicker rough is what the norm is for the most part, especially during season.

Excellent points. Florida golf is tough b/c for the most part, you have to put your approach shots in pretty specific areas, and that's hard to do.

I tend to like Florida golf off the tee because the fairways are so much bigger. I agree with you that the approach shots can be horribly difficult.

Is there a strong advantage to being longer off the tee in Florida, especially this course, when there's so much trouble out there? It seems like the mid length players would be at more of a disadvantage than the short/long players.

Is there a strong advantage to being longer off the tee in Florida, especially this course, when there's so much trouble out there? It seems like the mid length players would be at more of a disadvantage than the short/long players.

I don't think being huge off the tee is necessary however being able to hit a straight tee shot to avoid those bunkers,lakes etc. and hit (I know JB's laughing somewhere) fairways is a must...

Thanks OG. I'm generally straight off the tee, or a baby fade, but distance is what kills me. On the bright side I don't hit it far enough to get into too much trouble.

I don't think being huge off the tee is necessary however being able to hit a straight tee shot to avoid those bunkers,lakes etc. and hit (I know JB's laughing somewhere) fairways is a must...

I agree based on what I have seen JB say about being able to know where the pot bunkers are, etc and being able to play to a number. Sounds like we will have a fair share of 200 and 230 yard tee shots trying to play to a number and use good course management.

Not particularly. Just keep it in play.

Not particularly. Just keep it in play.

Thanks. Sounds like PGA last year with plenty of danger short or long if your not down the middle.

+1 they may be fast but at least the roll is true

I think I am going to use One-T's strategy of 4 shots and a 80ft putt. Seemed to work well for him. He did not know a number and I wont either.

Im very curious what you find easier? Outside of balls holding on the green (that you mentioned) which is a hindrance as much as it is a benefit Having played a LOT of golf in the midwest during my time with a sports league, it is exactly the opposite for me. Tons more water, more bunkers and deeper rough is the norm and while its not a knock against golf in other areas (I love midwest golf), I certainly did not find it easier.

Greens holding balls is better for us higher handicaps I think. If we hit the greens they tend to stay up rather than bouncing and rolling off.

Nit sure about more water or bunker, did you mean more in the Midwest?or more in Florida?

I think reunion had the most sand I'd ever seen in my life on a course hehehe. Bt it was fluffy and I played well out of it. Up here the sand is never that perfect, it tends to be heavier and harder to play out of up north. Which is a knock on the grounds crew as much as the course itself.

Water is fickle, there are courses that have no water up here but extremely tight fairways with OB 10 yards left. So while the water is definitely a hazard, if you hit to trees you can get a lucky ball off a limb and back out, or you can get a lie where you wish you took penalty lol.

The rough in Florida is definately the harder of the types. That grass is so thick and if they grow it out it Can be a beast. We were lucky in reunion it wasn't that difficult.

Up here they grow the rough pretty thick since the grass is thinner, But again some mow it so tight that it's not that bad either.

I'm not sure if all conditions being equal which would be more difficult, I guess it depends on the course conditions themselves. My last few trips to Florida I have played much better golf than I did up here. Again just my findings and thought I'd share em with those that hadn't been to Florida.

Grain is a tricky thing, some say don't pay attention to it, some say youhavetoo.
I tended to pay attention when it was cross grain and might affect the break, but didn't give it much mind if I was with or against. I honestly played PGA National without ever being able to tell lol until the last day someone told me to look at the cup, then it was obvious. But on the green, and my poor green reading skills, I was none the wiser!

Greens holding balls is better for us higher handicaps I think. If we hit the greens they tend to stay up rather than bouncing and rolling off.

Nit sure about more water or bunker, did you mean more in the Midwest?or more in Florida?

There is definitely more water and more bunkers in FL than most of the midwest courses I played in my years in OH and IN.
As to the greens, approach shots can be held without question, however it also makes chipping and pitching that much more difficult due to the grip of the grass. I dont compare tree lined fairways because that is truly a miss. Its not the same as having water surrounding a green on the front and back. Just a completely different side of the game.

Im not here to argue it, if you think OH is harder to golf in than FL, that is great for outings and THP events for you. I find it significantly harder and my handicap shows that. I was barely a 1 up there and ballooned to an 8 when moving back here. Slowly got that back down once I got used to the conditions again. I will say that it seems the norm for most coming from different areas to shoot higher than their handicaps coming from the northeast and midwest by a pretty large margin at outings based on our info as we are setting up teams.

No I def agree florida golf is difficult, but the courses there are in great shape as compared to some up here were required to play. It's easier to maintain the conditions in Florida while up here we have hardpan, fairways etc.

I think playng on those nice courses of Florida I was able to play better due to the conditions being near perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back