Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

One thing I am curious about from my fellow testers.. How easy is it for you to put a fade on the ball? I did make some pretty healthy swing changes at the start of the year to reduce my fade, but with these irons I am either dead straight or some form of a draw (both large an small)...

I'm going to see if I can put a regular fade on these but I really don't see it happening.. Not really sure what would cause that..

Not sure that I could do it....someone would have to instruct me how to try. Everything I play is fairly straight - I might see a slight fade or draw on a shot but it is by no means intentional. I play a pretty strong grip and hence why I probably see more of a draw if anything if not straight.

One thing I am curious about from my fellow testers.. How easy is it for you to put a fade on the ball? I did make some pretty healthy swing changes at the start of the year to reduce my fade, but with these irons I am either dead straight or some form of a draw (both large an small)...

I'm going to see if I can put a regular fade on these but I really don't see it happening.. Not really sure what would cause that..

Fade is my natural shot but to be honest I am hitting a lot more draws with these. I can hit the fade when needed though

I'll give it a go and see if I can get a video up over the weekend. I've only hit a couple of fades with these, my stock shot being a draw - which seems to come easily with these irons.

Fade is my natural shot but to be honest I am hitting a lot more draws with these. I can hit the fade when needed though

I think this is a really interesting avenue to take in terms of an overall assessment of these irons.. I will make a point of getting these irons into the hands if a couple known faders to see what their flight is like..

I'd love to see if you guys have the same results.

Anybody seen or heard from Fairway2Green?
Some PMs sent. Not much on this thread outside of a couple of short posts in the last several weeks.
Anybody?

Who's fairway2green?

One thing I am curious about from my fellow testers.. How easy is it for you to put a fade on the ball?

I can pretty easily. Either through
A: I'm tired, getting sloppy and inside out on the ball. I think I've just about managed to get the ball to bend about 75 degrees with the 3 iron.
B: I exaggerate my right foot placement (which makes my shoulders follow) and hold off my hands a bit and get a nice fade.

If I'm swinging normally though, we're straight to a small draw.

I came into the testing with a regular draw with all my clubs. Somehow from the moment I picked these up I have developed a fade

I came into the testing with a regular draw with all my clubs. Somehow from the moment I picked these up I have developed a fade

I'm guessing it is due to the switch in shafts. Aren't your current shafts regular vs your old shafts stiff. I know you went from steel to graphite. I messed around hitting shafts that were less stiff and had much more of a fade than usual.

I think this is a really interesting avenue to take in terms of an overall assessment of these irons.. I will make a point of getting these irons into the hands if a couple known faders to see what their flight is like..

I'd love to see if you guys have the same results.

I changed my grip about a week ago to fight the pulls. Originally I had too strong of a grip and was hitting it straight but left. Now my grip is now more neutral and I am playing a small fade with most of my shots.

I'm guessing it is due to the switch in shafts. Aren't your current shafts regular vs your old shafts stiff. I know you went from steel to graphite. I messed around hitting shafts that were less stiff and had much more of a fade than usual.

That is exactly what I did. So going to a softer flex will cause a bit of a fade? Interesting. I like the fade

I changed my grip about a week ago to fight the pulls. Originally I had too strong of a grip and was hitting it straight but left. Now my grip is now more neutral and I am playing a small fade with most of my shots.

Interesting....if I miss with these clubs it is a pull left but dead straight. May have to try going back to neutral a hair.

I'll give it a go and see if I can get a video up over the weekend. I've only hit a couple of fades with these, my stock shot being a draw - which seems to come easily with these irons.

I will try to shoot some video too. I agree that a draw is pretty easily attainable with these clubs, but for me the small fade is easier to control. I can't seem to hit the draw consistently, which means I am not confident in how much the ball will turn. These clubs are definitely workable though.

Interesting....if I miss with these clubs it is a pull left but dead straight. May have to try going back to neutral a hair.

It has been working great for me. I am hitting the ball pretty straight with a very small fade if anything. Much more predictable. Yesterday I hit 14 GIR!

I am not going to be able to post my writeup before I start work (due to a few errands, sorry) but it will be here tonight.

That is exactly what I did. So going to a softer flex will cause a bit of a fade? Interesting. I like the fade

I'm not sure if this is true or not, someone more knowledgable would be the best to answer that question (JB, GolfTec Pro's, etc), but it was definitely the case for me.

I've heard the opposite, that too stiff creates a fade..

Would love to get that myth squashed...

That is what I've heard which is why I was surprised that I immediately faded the ball with these irons.

Indeed it does.

That is what I've heard which is why I was surprised that I immediately faded the ball with these irons.

Just because the flex is the right sitffness doesn't mean the other factors are working for you CL. The shaft could be bending to little towards you keeping the toe up to up and fading it out or you could be hanging on with your release with them.

What were you playing beforehand, and what shafts? That's really cool that these made THAT much of a difference for you.

Indeed it does.

Just because the flex is the right sitffness doesn't mean the other factors are working for you CL. The shaft could be bending to little towards you keeping the toe up to up and fading it out or you could be hanging on with your release with them.

What I thought was that it was something with my swing. It was not like a gradual thing. First time I hit these clubs I was fading them. But once I grabbed the driver and took some swings I was fading that as well. 2 days prior I had been hitting my usual draw with it. Something about these irons has changed my swing. Sounds crazy I know but it is what it is.

My previous irons were a stiff shaft, the Nikes are a regular. Maybe that is why I am now seeing a draw flight

What were you playing beforehand, and what shafts? That's really cool that these made THAT much of a difference for you.

I was playing the Di11's with Uniflex steel. Had a very pronounced draw with those irons. It was literally overnight that I developed this fade and it goes into all clubs(except Mashie) and the only change that I've made is these irons.

I was playing the Di11's with Uniflex steel. Had a very pronounced draw with those irons. It was literally overnight that I developed this fade and it goes into all clubs(except Mashie) and the only change that I've made is these irons.

I know torque and all that jazz are defined loosely between each company, but there is a certain characteristic (can't think of it) of a shaft that helps to shut the face on the downswing.. I wonder if the shafts in the nike's are leaving it slightly open, generating some left to right sidespin?

You are the one using PX graphites right?

My previous irons were a stiff shaft, the Nikes are a regular. Maybe that is why I am now seeing a draw flight

Were they the same shafts but in a stiff flex? I have to think the characteristics of each different shaft company cause different shot shaping automatically, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for you that the shaft change has generated the draw. Were you fitted for the regulars?

Back