Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

It's really neat to find out that you guys/gals were all testing a ball that I have tried and been impressed by in recent months. Looking back over all the reviews, I can say that everything that was said made sense and correlated with my opinions on the B330-RX as well. Kudos to Bridgestone and THP for giving this opportunity. It's been a pleasure reading this thread.

Thanks, I think I can speak for all the testers in saying that it was great experience for all of us. This test not only enabled me to find my new ball, but it also forced me to take my time on the course and think about course management...something I had really not done alot of. I found myself thinking about where I wanted my next shot to go and where my miss would be if I didn't execute the shot correctly.

Of course I was doing this to keep from losing test balls, but it's something that I should have been doing all along. Overall this was a great experience that made me look at every aspect of my game from the driver to the putter and I think in the long run it will make me a better player.

I am new here but this was on hell of a thread!! Great job THP and Bridgestone. Perhaps all tests should be blind??

That would be a pipe dream. We all know that's never going to be possible. But yes, that would be the ultimate.

So now that the testing is done, For those that tested the balls, can you please answer the following questions?
1) What ball did you play before the blind ball test?
2) Will you be switching over to the Test Ball (B330RX) now?
3) Please explain why you will or will not be switching.

1)TM Burner Tour & Bridgestone B330RX
2) I already play it occasionally. I tend to play the Burner Tour more because of the cost of the B330RX
3) N/A

Thanks, I think I can speak for all the testers in saying that it was great experience for all of us. This test not only enabled me to find my new ball, but it also forced me to take my time on the course and think about course management...something I had really not done alot of. I found myself thinking about where I wanted my next shot to go and where my miss would be if I didn't execute the shot correctly.

Of course I was doing this to keep from losing test balls, but it's something that I should have been doing all along. Overall this was a great experience that made me look at every aspect of my game from the driver to the putter and I think in the long run it will make me a better player.

Great post. To me this ended up being the most rewarding part of the testing.

So now that the testing is done, For those that tested the balls, can you please answer the following questions?
1) What ball did you play before the blind ball test?
2) Will you be switching over to the Test Ball (B330RX) now?
3) Please explain why you will or will not be switching.

1. TM TP Black
2. Yes
3. I already have switched to the blind ball, B330 RX. I love the way it feels off the face of the driver and definitely the irons! I seem to get more distance than I do with the TM TP Black, I'd say to the tune of 10 yds on every club in the bag. With an iron shot into the green, the TM TP Black will hit and stop for me. Which always leaves me short of the hole. But with the B330 RX I seemed to get 4-6 ft of roll out. In turn it has put me closer to the hole. My putting still sucks cuz of lack of practice. But I really like the way it feels off the putter also. It's not like hitting a rock. It has a nice roll to it as well as hugs the line IMO. Another quality that I like is with my TM TP Black, I seem to tear the cover quite a bit. Start a round with a new ball and 3 holes later the cover is torn. But not with the B330 RX, I've played the same ball for 4-5 nine hole rounds. They still look good. In fact I think I still have one of the actual test balls left. I will take a picture of it and post it. So you can see what I mean. If you have any other questions JWalker, please feel free to ask. I like this ball and really recommend it! This test really helped me realize what the right ball can do for your game. Until I find a ball better suited to me than the B330 RX, it will be in my bag and on my Jeremiah The Bullfrog tee! :golf2:

I would never have seen myself playing a yellow ball until I did the blind test in the spring. It made an instant believer out of me. All of my regular playing group made positive comments on it, but they still have never gamed one to my knowledge. I think most people just think the yellow signifies hacker to others. I am too old to actually give a crap what others think. My advice is try it you'll like it.

I started playing a yellow ball in the late fall/winter, when the course is muddy and its hard to see your ball with the leaves. I still play it on overcast days just because its easier for me to track my ball, but usually game the TP Penta. I don't care about the hacker perception, if it is the best product out there for me than I will certainly game it! If the Penta came in Yellow I would game it all year round.

Was out of town this past weekend so I missed the big reveal. Pretty cool to see what ball it was I've actually been playing it the past 3 rounds of golf from the 4 I got from a bridgestone ball fitting and I'm slowly falling in love with this ball. I've only lost 1 ball (fat trying to carry some water) and for me that's pretty amazing especially since I had the case of the hooks this weekend. The other ball is really holding up nicely and I hit the longest drive I've ever hit GPS'd at 283 this weekend with it.

In my tiresome ball research, I thought it was interesting that the Penta and RX had nearly identical wedge spin numbers 6247 vs 6290, respectively according to GD 2010 test.

EDIT - opps sorry that was the RXS, the RX had 5790 - still a good amount.

Last edited:
I played some greens that were firmed up by the wind yesterday. I missed having the B330-RX for keeping my ball close to where it landed. Had some crazy chip shots that I would have liked a bit more spin out of as well. I need to get to the store for some more.

Played my last remaining blind ball again Sunday. Something I didn't mention in my reviews is how well this ball listens. Twice I thought it was a goner, once on a forced carry over a marshy area and second another forced carry off the tee. Both times I begged for a skip across and was rewarded with it.

Seriously though, I freaking love everything about the RX, consistency around the greens, great feel off the putter, and one of the longest balls on the market for me.

Dear Bridgestone...

I :love: you.

Played my last remaining blind ball again Sunday. Something I didn't mention in my reviews is how well this ball listens. Twice I thought it was a goner, once on a forced carry over a marshy area and second another forced carry off the tee. Both times I begged for a skip across and was rewarded with it.

Yeah I pull hooked a drive on Sunday, I thought the B330-RX was gone. We drove around the corner just to look. The ball was sitting up in the rough about 130 yards from the hole. These seems to find safe areas.

Seriously though, I freaking love everything about the RX, consistency around the greens, great feel off the putter, and one of the longest balls on the market for me.

Dear Bridgestone...

I :love: you.

Two skips in one round? Impressive!

I still have 1 of the Blind Balls left, but have purchased a couple of boxes of these as well. Kind of holding on the the last unmarked ball for a special occasion...2012 Outing maybe?

Last edited:
I too have one left. And I'm keeping it for momento sake. Add it to my thp gear collection.

Two skips in one round? Impressive!

I still have 1 of the Blind Balls left, but have purchased a couple of boxes of these as well. Kind of holding on the the last unmarked ball for a special occasion...2010 2012 Outing maybe?

Ooo that sounds like a good idea. Hit em off the first tee and whoever brings theres back after the round gets a free drink!

And FIFY

Ooo that sounds like a good idea. Hit em off the first tee and whoever brings theres back after the round gets a free drink!

And FIFY

Dang typos. That would be an interesting bet to put out there though...

Dang typos. That would be an interesting bet to put out there though...

I think I could pull it off if we played the new course, but the others have wet stuff I don't know if I can skip across them all :)

I really like the blind ball testing. I feel that it is necessary for a blind testing because someone's preconceived notions about a ball or name brand can hinder what they are actually feeling off the club and how they are assessing the balls performance. With that said, I would like to see more blind ball testings. Maybe send out two or three different balls. Have them vary greatly in performance and feel, to determine how just how accurate the human assessment can be. For instance, stack up a Top Flight against the ProV1 or a Pinnacle against the Penta. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few people out there who actually preferred the "lesser quality" ball. In statistical terms, they would be the outliers of the data...It's just an idea; i hope it will be taken into consideration for future testing. Thanks

I really like the blind ball testing. I feel that it is necessary for a blind testing because someone's preconceived notions about a ball or name brand can hinder what they are actually feeling off the club and how they are assessing the balls performance. With that said, I would like to see more blind ball testings. Maybe send out two or three different balls. Have them vary greatly in performance and feel, to determine how just how accurate the human assessment can be. For instance, stack up a Top Flight against the ProV1 or a Pinnacle against the Penta. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few people out there who actually preferred the "lesser quality" ball. In statistical terms, they would be the outliers of the data...It's just an idea; i hope it will be taken into consideration for future testing. Thanks

There would definately be people who perferred the "lower quality" ball because that one would be better fit for their game. Some people can't handle the spin of a tour ball. I used to not be able to.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

That's a good point...I still feel that If you are an avid golfer, to get the most out of your game you need a ball with good feel and distance. Top Flights feel like rocks and the people who buy them are the people who don't care what ball they hit as long as it gets off the ground (thus they buy the cheapest ball)...granted I know Top Flight has made improvements over the years(the dual dimple technology etc.), but to some extent my last statement is true. But yeah, obviously high handicap golfers can't handle a ProV1 because it will accentuate their slices or hooks. So maybe limit the blind ball testing to 15 handicappers and below.

That's a good point...I still feel that If you are an avid golfer, to get the most out of your game you need a ball with good feel and distance. Top Flights feel like rocks and the people who buy them are the people who don't care what ball they hit as long as it gets off the ground (thus they buy the cheapest ball)...granted I know Top Flight has made improvements over the years(the dual dimple technology etc.), but to some extent my last statement is true. But yeah, obviously high handicap golfers can't handle a ProV1 because it will accentuate their slices or hooks. So maybe limit the blind ball testing to 15 handicappers and below.

Actually, a lot of folks here on THP have been posting some good things about the Top Flight Gamer V2, and I wouldnt say they dont care about what ball they hit. If they didnt care, doubt they would post it up. Now obviously, Top Flight is a low priced ball for a reason, but I know plenty of people that game a Top Flight, and feel that it is the perfect ball for them.

What are you talking about? I have a buddy who is a 8 hdcp. He plays Top Flights. He has no problem stopping those balls on greens. I have seen him hit a 3wood 280 yards and stick the wedge inside of 4'. Also, I fail to see how the Pro-v1s and the B330-RXs are not on the same level. Both are premium level golf balls, except one is a far superior ball for most amateur golfers (it's not the Pro-v1).

Both are premium level golf balls, except one is a far superior ball for most amateur golfers (it's not the Pro-v1).

Made me :giggle:

I had a spirited conversation with a fellow this weekend about how overrated the V1 series was....he was maybe a 20. I couldn't convince him the ball change might do him good.

Made me :giggle:

I had a spirited conversation with a fellow this weekend about how overrated the V1 series was....he was maybe a 20. I couldn't convince him the ball change might do him good.

Advertising and Marketing, who says it doesnt work?

What are you talking about? I have a buddy who is a 8 hdcp. He plays Top Flights. He has no problem stopping those balls on greens. I have seen him hit a 3wood 280 yards and stick the wedge inside of 4'. Also, I fail to see how the Pro-v1s and the B330-RXs are not on the same level. Both are premium level golf balls, except one is a far superior ball for most amateur golfers (it's not the Pro-v1).

That's why it would be good to see the Top Flight stacked up to the upper echelon of golf balls in a blind ball testing. Obviously I'm biased towards these more expensive balls, but if I see raw data where people are seeing similar results from a cheaper ball, I would be willing to change

That's why it would be good to see the Top Flight stacked up to the upper echelon of golf balls in a blind ball testing. Obviously I'm biased towards these more expensive balls, but if I see raw data where people are seeing similar results from a cheaper ball, I would be willing to change

If you read through this thread you will see that I did compare the blind ball on a LM to a Cally Warbird, which is a cheaper ball and a Pro V1.

Back