Cobra Brings Back Trusty Rusty Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Package arrived at THP HQ today and I was delightfully surprised to see the coming soon Cobra wedge. Years ago Trusty Rusty was in bags everywhere and seeing it back for re-release was wonderful.

i-JqXPmRS-L.jpg

IN RUST WE TRUST[SUP]TM[/SUP]
COBRA[SUP]®[/SUP] BRINGS BACK THE TRUSTY RUSTY[SUP]TM[/SUP]

Trusty Rusty Wedges are Back and COBRA Announces the Big Trusty Rusty

CARLSBAD, CA (NOVEMBER 3, 2011) – Get ready for chipping, cheers and fist pumps - COBRA is bringing back the Trusty Rusty wedges. The fan favorite is back in three style-defying cosmetics that rust over time for versatility, enhanced feel and shot making.

The Trusty Rusty wedges come in three finishes: an all over pre-rusted finish, satin finish with pre-rusted hitting area and black PVD. Each features a non-plated finish that is 7% softer than chrome and will rust more over time, promoting maximum allowable spin and enhanced feel. The True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 shaft has been painted black with non-glare coating and precision laser engraving for a striking look.

“Golfers of all abilities looking for enhanced feel and versatility should use the Trusty Rusty wedges,” commented Tom Preece, Vice President of Club Research and Development at COBRA PUMA GOLF. “We used 100% Raw, unplated 8620 Carbon Steel which rusts over time for enhanced feel, shot making and versatility.”

COBRA partnered up once again with short-game guru Phil Rodgers for the development of the Trusty Rusty wedges. Using Phil’s expertise, the successful attributes of the original Trusty Rusty and new technology, COBRA created the modernized Trusty Rusty; complete with non-plated finishes, Tri-Bounce sole and laser precision technology.

“COBRA’s first Trusty Rusty wedges were loved by golfers everywhere,” said Bob Philion, President, COBRA PUMA GOLF. “We frequently get requests from our consumers and Tour Players to bring these back. We’re excited to be expanding into a new category, revitalizing the Trusty Rusty name with new finishes and improved technology. Our Tour Players already love the wedges and you’ll see quite a few in their bags on Tour.”

A unique and personal wedge cosmetic will develop over time as the Trusty Rusty rusts, benefiting the golfer by providing improved feel. While the wedges will rust on their own, there are ways to speed up the rusting. COBRA will share ways the wedges can rust faster and invites consumers to share their tricks by joining the conversation on our Twitter handle, @cobragolf using the hashtag #InRustWeTrust.

COBRA is also releasing an all new wedge designed for maximum forgiveness. The Big Trusty Rusty[SUP]TM[/SUP] is made from low density, light weight steel enabling a larger profile for enhanced forgiveness. The super wide, tri bounce rounded sole combine versatility with ultimate forgiveness and the specialty non-plated finishes allow the wedges to rust over time for enhanced feel and maximum allowable spin.

COBRA Trusty Rusty Wedges Technology
The COBRA Trusty Rusty Wedges are made with 100% raw, unplated 8620 carbon steel that will rust over time. The Tri-Bounce Sole with rear scallop provides enough bounce for forgiveness but keeps the leading edge height low so golfers can get underneath the ball. The Lamkin 3GEN[SUP]®[/SUP] Grip has improved vibration damping, stays soft and tacky in all playing conditions and does not absorb moisture. A longer length with less taper allows for consistent feel when golfers need to choke down on close shots.
Tri-Bounce Sole with Rear Scallop
· Higher bounce in the center with relief in the heel and toe optimizes performance for long, medium and short/flop shots
Laser Precision Technology
· Patent-pending aggressive machined grooves with post-laser milling. Features four distinct surface roughnesses that result in maximum allowable spin
Specialty Rusted Finishes
· Promotes maximum allowable spin and enhanced feel with non-plated finishes that rust over time.

Big Trusty Rusty
The Big Trusty Rusty wedges feature a COBRA Steel shaft painted black with non-glare coating. It also features precision laser engraving that showcases the steel beneath the black. The Lamkin 3GEN grip has a longer length with less taper for consistent feel on choke down shots while the women’s grip is a Winn Wrap.
Super wide, tri-bounce rounded sole
· Combines ultimate forgiveness with versatility
Laser Precision Technology
· Patent-pending aggressive machined grooves with post-laser milling. Features four distinct surface roughnesses that result in maximum allowable spin
Specialty Rusted Finishes
· Promotes maximum allowable spin and enhanced feel with non-plated finishes that rust over time

The Trusty Rusty Wedges (MAP $119) are available in men’s right handed lofts of 51°, 55° and 59° with a True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 shaft. Left-handed lofts of 53°, 55° and 61° and right-handed lofts of 49°, 53° and 57° are available through custom ordering. Big Trusty Rusty Wedges (MAP $119) are available in men’s right-handed lofts of 55° and 60°. Right-handed 50° loft and women’s flex graphite shafted lofts of 55° and 60° are available through custom ordering.

Both the Trusty Rusty and Big Trusty Rusty will be available at retail December 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 2011. To find an authorized COBRA dealer near you, please visit the COBRA dealer locator at http://www.cobragolf.com/dealer-locator

For more information on the COBRA Trusty Rusty, Big Trusty Rusty or for additional COBRA product information, visit us at www.cobragolf/com. Stay up to date with the latest products, events and COBRA Tour athletes at Facebook.com.cobra and on our Twitter handle: @cobragolf

Tri-Bounce
All black finish
True Temper Dark Steel shaft
It is gorgeous

i-7T86rbm-XL.jpg

i-WT5N95t-L.jpg

i-5VwQSGb-L.jpg

i-mRcf39M-L.jpg

i-2c966Ss-L.jpg

i-qKbjSHp-L.jpg

i-z4Xrxb3-L.jpg

i-p6qkqsj-L.jpg

i-r2MqqHp-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang. I like these. Dont know much about the previous offering, but if they perform well I could see myself using them as I like the asthetics a lot.

Interesting product. Love the name though. A ton of stuff is arriving at THP HQ these days haha

Looks really cool...bounce thing is interesting too.

I bet TC cant wait to get his hands on these ;)

I like the looks of Trusty Rusty. Really like the stamping on the back of it.
Is this a forged wedge?

I admit I have never heard of these before. But I like the clubhead shape.

Looks very interesting. What's the story on the cut away on the sole?

They are Beautiful. What is Tri Bounce?

That is a gorgeous wedge. I'm not sure about the orange trusty rusty but I don't know mucha bout the original. How does the tri bounce work?

I figured these would pop up around here soon enough. It is one gorgeous wedge that's for sure.

That is SO cool! Really wishing I would have gotten my Eidolon's in RAW now....grrr....

That is a sharp looking wedge, for sure. Looking forward to hear more about it!

Dang. I like these. Dont know much about the previous offering, but if they perform well I could see myself using them as I like the asthetics a lot.

I admit I have never heard of these before. But I like the clubhead shape.

They are Beautiful. What is Tri Bounce?

That is a gorgeous wedge. I'm not sure about the orange trusty rusty but I don't know mucha bout the original. How does the tri bounce work?

Cant give out a whole lot more information right now other than to say that its beautiful.

For those that did not know the originals, they were in A LOT of golf bags and were awesome wedges.

Pretty nice looking, solid name..

Someone came up with a word for clubs like this - SWEET !!!!!!! (just don't make a bet with someone who lives in Florida as to who's trusty rusty will rust fastest)

I like the look. The cut out in pretty interesting and tri bounce?

It's definitely a nice looking wedge, from the looks of that face it seems like it would have tons of spin. Can't wait to hear more about it, thanks for the pics!

I believe it gets the leading edge closer to the ground when laying the face open, while allowing the sole to play like a normal wedge when the face is square.

That wedge looks awesome! I love some rusty wedges too. I can't wait to hear how it preforms around the green.

I bet Ole Gray will shoot 59 with these. :beat-up:

When these wedges first came out circa 1998-99 they were the Cleveland of our day. You didn't see a bag on tour without these.

These definitely look pretty cool. I've never heard of the older ones either.

I believe it gets the leading edge closer to the ground when laying the face open, while allowing the sole to play like a normal wedge when the face is square.

Bingo thats exactly what it was for. Made for many a flop shot.

I like the looks of the shaft too! Looks downright stealthy.

interesting design to this wedge.....I assume its for better turf interaction?

Back