Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Going again tonight to have a go at the PC's. I'm struggling to describe my thoughts about last nights session. It had been a little bit since swinging and it showed. I felt like I couldn't get a rhythm going and that is vital for me. The soles were digging really deep last night. Hurt my back on one of my first swings and the club barely got through the turf. I'm going to hold off on my big writeup until I am done with the week of hitting the PC's. Last night was a rough start though. The lone bright spot were when I tried to flight the ball low. I hit those shots nicely. I guess I can just post the video's I took and then try to edit them down afterward into something a little smaller.

Going again tonight to have a go at the PC's. I'm struggling to describe my thoughts about last nights session. It had been a little bit since swinging and it showed. I felt like I couldn't get a rhythm going and that is vital for me. The soles were digging really deep last night. Hurt my back on one of my first swings and the club barely got through the turf. I'm going to hold off on my big writeup until I am done with the week of hitting the PC's. Last night was a rough start though. The lone bright spot were when I tried to flight the ball low. I hit those shots nicely. I guess I can just post the video's I took and then try to edit them down afterward into something a little smaller.

To be honest man, I really like raw video feebdack. Sometimes its good to see how they can be on a rough session.

No worries man...I had a horrendous day on the course this past Sunday and it was really tough to find a bright spot in the whole day. I am heading to the range in the next few hours and trying the club sound test to see how that goes and then spending some time on the PC's also. Think I started to find something in those in my range session Sunday before my round but I just simply forget a few basic swing thoughts while on the course that I must execute for success. I need to wear yellow shoes or something that grabs my attention at address that reminds me of those few things! :D

To be honest man, I really like raw video feebdack. Sometimes its good to see how they can be on a rough session.

Lol well you will be getting some raw feedback. Last night was about as bad as it gets for me. Uploading them now

No worries man...I had a horrendous day on the course this past Sunday and it was really tough to find a bright spot in the whole day. I am heading to the range in the next few hours and trying the club sound test to see how that goes and then spending some time on the PC's also. Think I started to find something in those in my range session Sunday before my round but I just simply forget a few basic swing thoughts while on the course that I must execute for success. I need to wear yellow shoes or something that grabs my attention at address that reminds me of those few things! :D

Perhaps one of those Swing Thought bands. I'm real close to ordering one.

Lol well you will be getting some raw feedback. Last night was about as bad as it gets for me. Uploading them now

We all know you're a good player dude so this is good feedback. Takes some guts too. Everytime I pass by these I get curious. Especially with the PX graphite shaft.

We all know you're a good player dude so this is good feedback. Takes some guts too. Everytime I pass by these I get curious. Especially with the PX graphite shaft.

When you come to visit NC you can play them. You may have to play on your knees though. I can't wait for you to hop on the graphite express. You've been pondering for a while now

When you come to visit NC you can play them. You may have to play on your knees though. I can't wait for you to hop on the graphite express. You've been pondering for a while now

Its my preferred stance! I think the combo you have here, PX's and Pro Combos might be near the top for me in the looks. I really like the feel of Nike clubs and from everything I'm reading, it translates to these. The forgiveness scares me a little though and its kinda why I like see what these do when they dont work. haha.

I have been pondering graphite for awhile. It just helps because I like a lighterweight and it fits my tempo real well.

Its my preferred stance! I think the combo you have here, PX's and Pro Combos might be near the top for me in the looks. I really like the feel of Nike clubs and from everything I'm reading, it translates to these. The forgiveness scares me a little though and its kinda why I like see what these do when they dont work. haha.

I have been pondering graphite for awhile. It just helps because I like a lighterweight and it fits my tempo real well.

I think you will be impressed with the forgiveness factor. Thus far, it really shines on everything except for the pocket cavities (3i/4i). Still amazed at some of the toe misses I get away with that are right around the green on approach shots.

I think you will be impressed with the forgiveness factor. Thus far, it really shines on everything except for the pocket cavities (3i/4i). Still amazed at some of the toe misses I get away with that are right around the green on approach shots.

That's really intriuging Cookie. Because in all honesty, I stop at 5i......

Well so far I would say that I would not hesitate to recommend these clubs to anyone. I think I would tell the person to play a 3H/possibly 4H and go 5-PW. So far for me 8-PW has been money. 6-7 zero issues with regards to hitting consistently well. 5I can get a little shaky but not enough to remove from the bag. 4I is about the same as the 5I with maybe just a few more hiccups. It's really the 3I that just kills me. Off the tee box I've had very few slipups with the 3I and hitting stingers. Once I am playing off the deck I just can't seem to hit it solidly on a consistent basis. I'm going to do my best to work out the kinks though as I really like having a 3I in the bag.

I think the looks of these clubs are right there at the top of the list. I just love the sleek back shapes and tight top lines.

First video is here. In my defense lol, I usually start at wedge and go down so I can build a rhythm. Starting with 3/4I was tough. But I think this can show you what happens with the supposed easier clubs in this set when you are off. Pushed a lot of my shots right which I'm just not sure what I was doing wrong.

White socks with black shoes? Come on man lol. Nice video none the less

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

Not only that. But cargo pants at the range?? :bad: haha jk

I am a fashion mess that is for sure:quiet:

CL: It might just be my eye but when I saw you swing and point right to the ball flight vs pointing straight, there was a big difference in the angle of your shaft and how you came down from the top. It looked like on the rights you got flat on your plane and the club didn't come around. I'm not a pro though so take it with a pound and three quarters of salt.

Cheers for the video. It's tough putting up video at all, let alone when things aren't grooved.

Could you buy 4-pw and the matching 50 for the same price as 3-pw?

Jay there is no matching 50. The Pro Combo's are a 3-PW set. You could get 4-PW and get a VR Pro wedge and I would highly recommend it. The VR Pros are fantastic

They don't do a 50 in this set Jay (51 if we're matching 4 degree gaps). 3-PW is standard and you can custom order a 2 iron. You might be able to get a store to go in on giving you a wedge with the rest of the set instead of another iron though.

Edit: Ninja'd. :turtle:

CL: It might just be my eye but when I saw you swing and point right to the ball flight vs pointing straight, there was a big difference in the angle of your shaft and how you came down from the top. It looked like on the rights you got flat on your plane and the club didn't come around. I'm not a pro though so take it with a pound and three quarters of salt.

Cheers for the video. It's tough putting up video at all, let alone when things aren't grooved.

Dude point away. I am always up for trying something to improve. I will take a look at the video again to see what you are talking about. If you think this one is bad wait to you see the one I'm uploading now. I Hanks'd one and killed a few worms also.

CL: good on you man for putting the video up!! I am going to watch the whole thing in a few but need to get some thoughts out first. My video is transferring from camera to Mac right now and then I will edit and post up.

This is my first real range session in probably 3 weeks. It has taken everything in me just to get out once a week and play with the back issues but I feel great now. I had a STELLAR range session today.

First, I started out by warming up with an 8 iron and was hitting everything clean. Ball flight started out piercing and then just started climbing. Hit about 8 shots like this before I went into the video making portion.

Video:

- Started out with a 9 iron first off the deck and then off the tee trying to capture the sounds of the irons. Similar to my 8 irons, was just hitting every shot nice and solid - zero issues here.
- Moved onto the 6 iron and this is where I can typically start to see some issues. Started on the deck and moved to the tee and not sure what it was but was just hitting everything really crisp. Picking the balls from the deck clean and seeing a similar ball flight to the 8 iron, just a bit lower trajectory and further carry.
- Ended up on the 4 iron and this is where I always tend to start having issues. Think I hit one worm burner here and then everything else was up in the air but the first few were off of the toe. When off the toe, I was seeing some pulls to the left with probably a 20% distance loss. After about 5 of those, I started to get into a groove and was finding the middle of the club face. End result was some great shots with a piercing trajectory initially but the ball still climbed some at the end which I prefer for approach shots into greens.

Post Video:

Dedicated this to the 3 iron. First shot was a worm burner that got 3 feet off the ground and went about 125 yards. Second shot was a dead chunk that resulted in a 6 inch long divot 2 inches deep and the ball going about 30 yards - I could feel the club fight back at impact and it did not feel good in my hands. After that, like the 4 iron, I started to get into a groove. I have never had a range session with the 3 iron where I picked so many balls cleanly and consecutively. Even the shots that were still off a hair to me my wife who was watching had a hard time telling the difference between the really good shots (easy for me to tell - but she is not a serious golfer). Worst shot out of all those was one I caught thin but still went dead straight about 20 feet in the air about 150 yards - not bad at all for a miss.

Ended up by trying some what I will call trick shots. I am NOT a worker of the ball. Still had the 3 iron and I choked all the way down using a very strong grip and put the ball in the back of my stance. Hit a 10-15 foot high rope hook about 140 yards and I loved it - did exactly what I wanted it to. My wife says - "that was not a good shot". I started to laugh and explained to her that I did it on purpose, etc but she WAS watching and noticed so that was cool. Hit that exact same shot again a few more times before trying to hit the opposite cut shot - weak grip with ball in front of stance and it flew just like I wanted down the right side of the range.

Very stoked about such a promising range session especially with those pocket cavities which have been my nemesis since my first review of these irons - but I am determined to get it worked out. Video will be a few hours since it is HD, etc and I need to edit but hopefully it captured what I wanted.

Back