Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

I played a few holes with this ball and used it a lot on the practice greens, and here are my thoughts:

Off the tee: Solid distance, pretty much like anything else in the price range. I saw maybe 2 clubs of carry over the Z-Star. But I noticed almost 5 yards of total yardage due to the lower spin. Pretty low sidespin, will just about keep your ball flight the same, maybe turn a hook/slice into a large draw/fade. Nothing really outstanding, pretty good all around, much like the NXT Tour or Bridgestone e6

Woods/Long Irons: Again, saw a moderate 2 club carry increase with the irons, but none with the woods. Instead, the woods would roll a little more. Not a lot of stopping power heading into greens, maybe a few hops then little rollout with a 7i. Nothing too excellent here either.

Short irons/Full wedges: Pretty decent spin, good get hop-and-stop (52º) or hop-hop-and-stop (9i), compared to an easy back-up (52º) or hop-and-stop with the 9i. Feel was kind of heavy; a little too solid when struck on the sweet spot, but great when you miss. I was disappointed with the lack or spin, thought that it would at least get as much as an e5. But it's more like and e6 or an NXT.

Pitches/Chips: Eh... Could rarely get hop-and-stop with the ball on 3/4 swings, even with the 56º. Was fairly good on 1/2 swings pitches, with a decent amount of pull with predictable rollout. The only place I felt this ball really excelled was chips. Even with the 52º, I could get the ball to roll out when I needed it to, as well as skid and pull when I needed it to. By changing the angle of attack and ball position, it was fairly easy to get the amount of spin you wanted (unless you want hop-and-stop)

Putting: I didn't really see anything too great, but not too bad either. Felt a little bit harder than both the e5 and an NXT Tour, more like the e6 in this respect. Easy to gauge distances though, especially after a couple of putts.

Overall: I wasn't really a fan of this ball. I went in expecting to love it, and came out disappointed. Nothing really separates it from other balls in the price point, except maybe an extra club of distance. Spin was moderate, and it was a little too solid feel-wise. Probably closely resembles the e6 or the NXT. If you were looking for a ball in this price point, I would recommend the e5 or the NXT Tour

Off the tee: Solid distance, pretty much like anything else in the price range. I saw maybe 2 clubs of carry over the Z-Star. But I noticed almost 5 yards of total yardage due to the lower spin. Pretty low sidespin, will just about keep your ball flight the same, maybe turn a hook/slice into a large draw/fade. Nothing really outstanding, pretty good all around, much like the NXT Tour or Bridgestone e6

Can you elaborate on this a little bit. You are getting a higher ball flight with this, but less spin? I would think ballooning from over compression, but getting more distance says otherwise.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit. You are getting a higher ball flight with this, but less spin?

No, not necessarily a higher ball flight. I just noticed that the ball seemed to carry for a bit longer before peaking at dropping down. And yes, I was getting a noticeably lower amount of spin, making my fade less pronounced. This lower spin helped the ball roll for longer when it hit the ground, accounting for an average of 5-6 yards total distance; actually, at one hole I gained 14 yards due to the extra carry, since it was a downhill, downwind hole.

No, not necessarily a higher ball flight. I just noticed that the ball seemed to carry for a bit longer before peaking at dropping down. And yes, I was getting a noticeably lower amount of spin, making my fade less pronounced. This lower spin helped the ball roll for longer when it hit the ground, accounting for an average of 5-6 yards total distance; actually, at one hole I gained 14 yards due to the extra carry, since it was a downhill, downwind hole.

I thought you were saying you saw two club length increase in distance, it ran longer too... but that it only gave you an extra 5 yards. I really liked this ball on well struck and not so well struck shots.

Well those are two different kinds of spin. Generally speaking, spin off of a driver in fitting is speaking of backspin. Sidespin is a different animal altogether of course. I guess this is where I am having a hard time understanding.

I saw maybe 2 clubs of carry over the Z-Star. But I noticed almost 5 yards of total yardage due to the lower spin

Is 2 clubs of carry over the Z-Star less than 5 yards? I would think that would be closer to 20 yards or so. But then only getting 5 yards more distance overall would suggest it was not rolling out, which can sometimes be attributed to having too much spin or ballooning.

I bought a dozen of the Q-Star Yellow yesterday, I am going to game them Monday. I am sure all will tune in for my review!

I put this ball into play today and I am definitely impressed. Off the tee the ball felt great and I had some longer than usual drives too.

All my approach shots, except for one, stopped within 2-3 feet of the ball mark. I didn't think this would happen for so many of my approaches.

This ball is easily one of the best values in the ball category and I am going to do a serious side by side comparison with my usual Gamer V2 and the Q-Star. I am thinking that my everyday ball will change after my next round and I will be moving to the Q-Star. Plus I like having the Yellow option.

Do you normally see similar performance with the Gamer? Curious because I play the Gamer, which is a great ball for the price, but this thread has me wanting to try a box of the Q-Stars.

Ok finally getting around to putting some thoughts down about this ball. I played it a few weeks ago up in Orlando and then again twice since returning from the MC.

Off the tee this ball is fantastic for me. I think it's a touch longer than my regularly used balls, the penta and B330RX. I can't speak to it being straighter or not, the first time out I did notice that sometimes when I wanted to draw the ball it held a more straight line and put me in jail (same jail TC was in during the one of the videos, and I can attest it was penal) and other times it would react perfectly.

Off the irons it actually doesn't feel much different than the premium balls I play, a slight bit more firm that relates to the cover interacting with the face, but still a great ball. Iron shots into greens were fair, hit and sit for the most part, some occasional release but nothing that frustrated me.

Wedges and greenside, full and even 3/4 wedges were a treat as well with this ball. One thing though on little shots around the green I found I needed to adjust to the release a little more. A shot with some air under would sit just fine, but a lower trajectory shot would really run out on me. I've started playing a lot of bump and runs lately and I thought this ball was perfect for that, again just backing up where I tried to land the ball a tad saw great success.

Off the putter, Method Core, not really a good or bad feel, just kinda there. I don't ask for much from a ball in terms of feel when putting so I'm not the best in the world to relate this aspect.

These most certainly have a place in my rotation, I prefer the RX and Penta honestly. Yet sometimes I want to play a less expensive ball or play somewhere that has a lot of trouble in play, in those cases I'll be happy to play the Q-Star.

Ok finally getting around to putting some thoughts down about this ball. I played it a few weeks ago up in Orlando and then again twice since returning from the MC.

Off the tee this ball is fantastic for me. I think it's a touch longer than my regularly used balls, the penta and B330RX. I can't speak to it being straighter or not, the first time out I did notice that sometimes when I wanted to draw the ball it held a more straight line and put me in jail (same jail TC was in during the one of the videos, and I can attest it was penal) and other times it would react perfectly.

Off the irons it actually doesn't feel much different than the premium balls I play, a slight bit more firm that relates to the cover interacting with the face, but still a great ball. Iron shots into greens were fair, hit and sit for the most part, some occasional release but nothing that frustrated me.

Wedges and greenside, full and even 3/4 wedges were a treat as well with this ball. One thing though on little shots around the green I found I needed to adjust to the release a little more. A shot with some air under would sit just fine, but a lower trajectory shot would really run out on me. I've started playing a lot of bump and runs lately and I thought this ball was perfect for that, again just backing up where I tried to land the ball a tad saw great success.

Off the putter, Method Core, not really a good or bad feel, just kinda there. I don't ask for much from a ball in terms of feel when putting so I'm not the best in the world to relate this aspect.

These most certainly have a place in my rotation, I prefer the RX and Penta honestly. Yet sometimes I want to play a less expensive ball or play somewhere that has a lot of trouble in play, in those cases I'll be happy to play the Q-Star.

Did you find it longer off the irons too?

Did you find it longer off the irons too?

Maybe fractionally longer, never felt the need to club down.

Edit: I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll grab some monitor numbers if you want?

Edit: I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll grab some monitor numbers if you want?

SW that would be great man. Will give us some hard data. If you have some HX Diablo Tours handy I'd love to see those in the mix too.

I would agree with this. It certainly wasn't shorter.

SW that would be great man. Will give us some hard data. If you have some HX Diablo Tours handy I'd love to see those in the mix too.

Will do dude. I don't have any HX's but I will hunt around for a sleeve, I've been wanting to try them since the homepage review went up.

Will do dude. I don't have any HX's but I will hunt around for a sleeve, I've been wanting to try them since the homepage review went up.

Thanks man!

this ball is still performing well for me, esp hitting the FWY. last Monday 9 hole round: 4 for 7 FWY hit and yesterday's 18 hole round 11 for 13 FWY hit. first course I've played at that had (5) Par 3 & (5) Par 5.

Last edited:
I finally picked up a sleeve of these, I'm really anxious to give them a try.

btw, I just traded a box of 10 ZStar I got on sale for a box of QStar. that's how much I like the Yellow on them and straight flight. hehe. :act-up:

For the rest of the season
Premium ball- Nike 20XI s
Non premium - Q star yellow.

Just can't beat the price per performance of the q star

MattyCaulk Approved!

I'm wondering how the QStar performs for those of you with higher swing-speeds? Any negatives?

I typically swing 110-115 mph but have had a problem with direction this season. Equal parts hooks, slices, pushes and pulls. Maddening. Way more good than bad but I'd like to minimize the bad. I know the ball's not the culprit but anything that may dull the effects of a not-so-good swing would be fantastic.

For reference, I presently play the B330. The Penta ballooned on me a bit off the tee but where I guess I'm a weird fit, the Wilson Zip and it's extremely low compression was a bomber with no ill effects (considering going back to it, actually).

Do you normally see similar performance with the Gamer? Curious because I play the Gamer, which is a great ball for the price, but this thread has me wanting to try a box of the Q-Stars.

I feel like the gamer rolls out a bit more than the Q-Stars, probably 3-4 feet more roll out with the Gamer.I played today and used the Q-Star but I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison because I was shooting one of the best rounds ever for me.

I also feel that the QStar is longer off the tee than the Gamer. My drives were longer than my typical drives and I also saw an increase with the irons too. I still intend to do a comparison, but if I had to chose one right now between the two, I would pick the Q-Star. I suggest you get a sleeve or a dozen of the Q-Stars and give them a try, I am confident that you will enjoy them and will more than likely use them going forward instead of the Gamer.

I feel like the gamer rolls out a bit more than the Q-Stars, probably 3-4 feet more roll out with the Gamer.I played today and used the Q-Star but I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison because I was shooting one of the best rounds ever for me.

I also feel that the QStar is longer off the tee than the Gamer. My drives were longer than my typical drives and I also saw an increase with the irons too. I still intend to do a comparison, but if I had to chose one right now between the two, I would pick the Q-Star. I suggest you get a sleeve or a dozen of the Q-Stars and give them a try, I am confident that you will enjoy them and will more than likely use them going forward instead of the Gamer.

Definitely. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a box before my round this Saturday.

tap tap tap...

I've been paying the QStar almost exclusively the past 5 rounds and it performs very well for me. My driver SS is just low 90s and 6i in the low 80s. In today's round I had 3 drives net 250+ and I don't hit low drives. I hit several greens on approach shots and tee shots from 140 to 170. This included a 148 yard carry 8i that hit and one hopped about 18 inches and a 167 carry 6i that released about 3-4 feet. Previous to the QStar, I would have hit 7i & 5i on those 2 shots with the E5. I think this ball is comparable to the E5 and even ZStar when putting -- soft yet solid. It does run out more on wedges and chips and that requires compensation if you've been using a higher spin ball. For me this has only been a problem on select greenside shots -- like being short-sided wth a downhill chip/pitch or trying to check up a low runner to keep below branches within 25 yards or so of the pin. I finfpd it longer than the gamer and similar to better stopping power in the short game.

Had my 2nd round with the Q-Stars yesterday and with every shot I loved them even more. Soft feel, great distance, very straight ballflight and plenty of spin for the ball to take 1 or 2 hops and stop dead in it's tracks on the green.
Im still working on getting a better feel for putting with them though. Im getting closer but my speed isnt quite there yet. I guess thats what happens when you switch to a new ball and switch from a blade putter to a mallet at the same time.

I finally get to put these in play sunday and monday, these def launch higher than my tour iZ, I have been hitting some wedge shots around the house and its unreal how much easier the qstar is to get in the air

I tried these today along side Nike 20xi (s) which is my usual ball more or less to find a cheaper option. I did notice these balls felt like a rock off the driver face which I didn't care for at all. Iron feel was a little softer but not what I prefer. Approach shot and wedges did check and stop after a short bounce and around the greens I didn't see much more roll than my Nikes. Bottom line, not a bad ball but I can't get over the feel off the tee. If that doesn't bug you maybe these are for you, IMO.

Back