MarcW

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN
What is the ruling if a golf ball were to hit a cart and go out of bounds?
Thanks

It would be out of bounds. Just as if it hit a tree, cart path, etc.

Yeah the cart is a temporary moveable obstruction but if you don't ask to move it and hit your shot it counts where the ball comes to rest. So its the same as hitting a tree and going OB.

i recently read Arnold Palmer's "Playing By The Rules". It was a fast read and I feel that it helped me better understand the rules than just reading the USGA rulebook. His stories put a real golf situation on tour where the rule came into play.

i recently read Arnold Palmer's "Playing By The Rules". It was a fast read and I feel that it helped me better understand the rules than just reading the USGA rulebook. His stories put a real golf situation on tour where the rule came into play.

Thanks for the recommendation

It would be out of bounds. Just as if it hit a tree, cart path, etc.

Would it be the same if the cart was moving when the ball hit it?

Thanks, that answers it.

First, with the cart, it actually is 2 strokes. One for hitting the cart, and a second for going OB.

Second, if the cart is moving, there is no penalty as it is not part of your equipment, no penalty would be given.

Here's a link... http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/if_you_hit_a_cart_with_your_ba.html

Thanks for the link and it does make since. Now what if the cart was not in your group? IE the cart belongs to someone playing on a different hole. Then it becomes like a ball hitting anything else right? tree, cart path, ball washer, fence post etc

Here is decision 19/1;

19/1 Ball Deflected or Stopped by Golf Cart Shared by Two Players
5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Under the Definition of "Equipment," equipment includes a golf cart, whether or not motorized. If two or more players share a golf cart, the cart and everything in it are deemed to be the equipment of one of the players sharing the cart. If the cart is being moved by one of the players (or the partner of one of the players) sharing it, the cart and everything in it are deemed to be that player's equipment. Otherwise, the cart and everything in it are deemed to be the equipment of the player sharing the cart whose ball (or whose partner's ball) is involved.

Thus, for example, in a singles match, if A and B are sharing a cart and A's ball in motion is deflected or stopped by the cart, A incurs a penalty of one stroke (Rule 19-2) unless the cart is being driven or pulled by B when the incident occurs. If B is driving or pulling the cart, there is no penalty, and A would have the option of playing his ball as it lies or replaying the stroke (Rule 19-3).

I believe this is correct. However, it is not the "moving cart" that absolves the penalty, it is the fact of it not being your equipment. The penalty might still apply if it is your partner or caddie (not opponent) driving the cart.
Thanks for the link and it does make since. Now what if the cart was not in your group? IE the cart belongs to someone playing on a different hole. Then it becomes like a ball hitting anything else right? tree, cart path, ball washer, fence post etc

Remember if you were driving the cart... it's a self-imposed two stroke penalty. Happened to me recently in a tournament. We were on the clock and I was sitting down in fescue. I pulled out a hybrid (first mistake) to try to make up ground on a par 5 it was the first fairway I missed all day and it was less than a foot off... my wife (caddie) asks me if she should move the cart and I say "nah... shouldn't be a problem" (second mistake) I hit the cart and I just turn to the rules official.... I simply hold up two fingers and his response was simply "Unfortunately...yes" so i said "Okay thanks" and carried on.

I learned a few things that round... the first is screw hurrying if we're on the clock... secondly I learned that I could appeal the two strokes for being on said clock...thirdly hybrids and fescue don't mix...and last but not least don't be lazy.. move the cart if there is any chance it might be hit.

Alex

Back