League play and consistency

MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
for those that have leagues going on, are you consistent with your scores or does your score fluctuates every week? I'm wondering coz I just looked at my scores the past 10 weeks of league play and I've had: (4) in the 100 & (6) in the 90's. 1st (3) 100 scores are the first 3 events. this is my 1st year of league so I'm still establishing my handicap. my handicap at the beginning was 27.1 and it's currently 20.4 with only 2 more events. do you think my scores are pretty consistent or fluctuates?

My league scores tend to fluctuate more than casual rounds....I am in a weekly 9 hole league, and it isn't uncommon for there to be a 5 to 6 shot swing from week to week...

Sound like you're trending in the right direction, and the scores seem to dictate progress, Good job.

My are the same as regular rounds. For the most part mine only fluctuate three or four strokes one way or the other.

Our weekly 9 hole league just ended. I bounced a bit but held a 40 average I'd guess.

In one league (on my nemisis course) my scores were within 4-5 shots each week (on 2 different 9 holes). In my other league, been playing this course for about 20 years, I've shot consecutive weeks of 50 and 52, then I've shot everything from par (35) twice in 3 weeks, to the higher 40s. Inconsistancy is my middle name, both in league play and regular rounds.

very interesting. I'm glad I'm not the only one that tracks my scores. haha.

I'm sure once I get to the 80's the progress might slow down a bit. I know that shooting 100's to 90's is pretty easy and 90's to 80's takes some work and getting from 80's to 70's takes lotsa dedication, which most of us don't really have. my goal as a golfer atm is to shoot mid to high 80's consistently and occasional low 80's. that will be pretty sweet. :)

I have played in a 9 hole league at the same course for the last 6 years and the rounds can fluctuate pretty wildly. Between the format of the league and additional pressure during playoffs it causes interesting scores to be posted.

im anywhere from 92-110. i try to hard in league and it effects me. i shoot high 80s a couple times but mainly low 90s when im not playing in league.. i wish i could just not look at the competition part of it but i know thats what it is and i hit stupid shots. this is also my first year on a league

Routine Routine Routine. If you have a routine every time you hit the ball, particularly a pre-shot routine, you should gain some consistency.

I have a very solid and consistent routine, but even then, one day, I kept worrying about my score, and the need to get points. So then my nerves took over, and I fell out of my routine. Focus on the routine, and the score will come.

~Rock

Routine Routine Routine. If you have a routine every time you hit the ball, particularly a pre-shot routine, you should gain some consistency.

I have a very solid and consistent routine, but even then, one day, I kept worrying about my score, and the need to get points. So then my nerves took over, and I fell out of my routine. Focus on the routine, and the score will come.

~Rock

Completely agree with this. Routine is something I've worked on a lot and it's helped keep my swing consistent. I do the some at the range, I work my routine every session. The nicest thing about having a routine is it makes you think less about your swing and more about hitting the ball.

Normal tempo also goes out the window under pressure, your swing will get quick even if you don't realize it. Having a very solid pre-shot routine is essential. This is the hardest thing for me to do on the golf course. I can shoot 75 on a good day when it doesn't matter but I will shoot 10 shots worse than any other round I have had in the previous 2 months at a tournament. Drives me crazy, wish I knew all the answers, it is easy to say what to do but doing it is another matter.

I definitely had an erratic record in league this summer with 9 hole scores ranging from 40 all the way up to 56. I even shot a 48 with an eagle and was accused of being a sandbagger. Consistency is critical, the weeks when I played more than just league nights, were of course the same weeks I shot in the low 40s. I also have and use the excuse that I have an entirely new bag of clubs as of July and my consistently better scoring weeks were earlier in the year when I hadn't yet switched clubs.

All in all though, I definitely am consistently inconsistent and notice I'm only playing my best when I practice and play regularly. So your fluctations don't seem very big to me or anything out of the ordinary.

awesome guys. I'm still developing a routine that I'm comfortable with. I don't wanna be a slow player and at the same time, hurry up just to get a shot. what are your pre shot routine? before a driver, iron, putter? is it all the same or it varies?

Back