Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

I think a lot of golfers would be better off thinking externally rather than internally. For example, the goal is to hit the ball first then make a divot. If you can do this and have the ball end up somewhere close to your target line does it matter how you did it? Let's makes things a little less complicated - have awareness of your goal and work towards it. The feedback has been great from all of you - we will certainly see where we can improve the product for the future. Thanks for all the ideas.

Have fun,
Alf Callowhill
Co-Founder

Are any of the testers seeing any dings or marks on their clubs?

No, I actually was curious if there would be some sore of residue, kind of like what you get when hitting off of mats, but I haven't seen any marks at all.

No, I actually was curious if there would be some sore of residue, kind of like what you get when hitting off of mats, but I haven't seen any marks at all.

I haven't seen any dings or marks on my clubs either.

Dings and marks on my ego, that's another story (or maybe the same). :D

Good stuff! Our grass range won't open for a month, but I can see where the CB would certainly help with sustaining lag.

I wanted to try something a little bit different this time. Turned out pretty well and now I think I will have more opportunities to test/practice with the Compression Board since I can now do some at home.

Still getting used to practicing with the board and can now really start to focus on moving down through the levels and seeing how my swing needs to adapt. Really just wanted to throw together a quick video to show another way that the board can be used without having to head to a range.

[youtube]kSYI-aJzaSY[/youtube]

Good job Mc, I was at the range today and placed a long tee about 3" behind the ball and never hit it, would you say that is even a fair way to see if I am hitting down enough on the ball? Your videos have really inspired my to get more compression on the irons this year.

Nice vid MCook. I'm hoping to be able to put together a video this weekend. One thing I have noticed while using this to hit 10 yard pitches into a recycling bin in the backyard is that it really helps with turning the body on pitches and chips. That's really key to having a consistent short game and I'm noticing improvement on the course in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job Mc, I was at the range today and placed a long tee about 3" behind the ball and never hit it, would you say that is even a fair way to see if I am hitting down enough on the ball? Your videos have really inspired my to get more compression on the irons this year.

I'm not sure how you're putting the tee down. Could you elaborate please?

Another very informative page of reading here. Have any of you who have been using the Compression board found that you are hitting the ball better when you go out for a round?

Mcook, your videos are really good, they are showing nicely the product and how it's working. I look forward to read about the medium/long term results you'll get from using the board. Great review!

I wanted to try something a little bit different this time. Turned out pretty well and now I think I will have more opportunities to test/practice with the Compression Board since I can now do some at home.

Still getting used to practicing with the board and can now really start to focus on moving down through the levels and seeing how my swing needs to adapt. Really just wanted to throw together a quick video to show another way that the board can be used without having to head to a range.

Nice video mcook77 though the sound of contacting the compression board is starting to send shivers up my spine. :smile:

I am assuming you are placing the tee on its side behind the ball. If so I think it is a pretty fair way to test your swing as long as you aren't hitting it thin and the tee is in line with your swing path.

Another very informative page of reading here. Have any of you who have been using the Compression board found that you are hitting the ball better when you go out for a round?

I haven't played since before getting the board so cannot answer that right now. I am probably going to play tomorrow and I'll let you know.

I pulled out my Hogan Apex PC 6I today and was hitting balls in the back yard (I'm liking the hitting net). I don't know if it is the thinner blade of the club or my swing is improving (I think my swing has improved quite a bit but the thinner blade may help some) but was hitting the ball much better today. I was hitting decently at 3 and even did OK at 2 and 1. I tried a couple at pro and made pretty good contact just ticking the board. The bad thing about the hitting net is that I don't know how the ball flight was turning out.

Will update tomorrow. If I get to play tomorrow, video this weekend. If I don't get to play tomorrow I'll take vids tomorrow (it may take a day or 2 to get them on the computer and site though).

Cheers,
Chris

I've definitely noticed it in my short game, but I just switched irons so I'm not sure if it's the board or switching from blades to GIs.

I am in the same situation as the others to be honest. I would play about once or twice a year for the past 4 years and about 2 months ago I decided to start taking it serious again (in the case of others it seems to be a club change). My ball striking has improved but it is hard to say if that's from just practice or using the Compression board. I could go out anytime and shoot mid 90's and now I am anywhere from 84-87 but I am seeing improvement in all aspects of my game.

Obviously, the board is going to show you where you are hitting (when used on grass) and on turf you still get an idea because you may hit the board if you hit far enough behind the ball. The question is then do you want to go through some sort of swing change or do you just try to change ball position, etc. I would like to be a single digit handicap but I do not think I want to go through a swing overhaul.

So far my impressions are that the board itself is a good training aid but it could be a great training aid if it could really help to improve ball striking by incorporating simple changes that will have you attacking the ball at the optimal angle (if that is possible). I will admit that I can tell I am hitting behind the ball but I am not really sure what to try to fix that.

I rambled enough....hope that makes sense. Perhaps my expectations of the Compression Board are too high? Maybe it is just one piece of the puzzle and I need to look elsewhere for the other pieces?

I just got mine the other day and the ground is still really wet and there is still snow in spots here. I went out with it today and put it on my mat with some practice balls just to get a feel for it. I am really bad about these things that you have around your ball as training devices. I am really really bad if you are supposed to hit off of them because i am too focused on the device itself. At least this is something that you are trying to avoid. In my case I will tend to take a few shots and warm up before even trying to mess the thing.

Once I got warm I started at the 2 setting and even got to the 1 setting sometimes ticking the board, sometimes not. It does get you to recognize how steep your angle of attack has to be to avoid the board and that really gets you thinking about it when you take the board away. Over the winter I would get complacent about trajectory with my long irons and if I got the ball up about where you would want to see it to play in West Texas wind I would be OK with that. However I was not happy with my 5I trajectory for sure.

So once I had taken some shots with the board I took it away having established the feeling that I need to miss the board. I was definitely hitting better 5I shots. My trajectory was much better as I really felt what I needed in my wrists especially to make a proper shot. You have to watch your spine angle, make a good turn and you have to really establish and maintain a good position with your wrists to get the club head to whip through the hitting zone and the board makes you deal with those issues. Can't wait for the ground conditions to improve so I can use it as it is intended.

Great feedback jnug! I spent another half hour at the home tonight with the board and birdie balls getting some practice in. Like you, I focused on my takeaway and maintaining a steep angle. I feel like things are improving as I am missing the board more from the 2 level but will confirm that Friday at the range.

O wow - great job testers! I just was catching up with the thread. I love the videos mcook77. Really gives a feel of the board.

I would be interested in also know about whether you get more distance by attempting to catch the ball at a different part of your swing. It seems like a great idea, but it seems like there hasn't been an increase in distance so far with most testers. Will any of you be taking lessons in an attempt to fix where you catch the ball? Do you feel that the self correcting in an attempt to miss the board has been counter-productive in your swing or in attempting to gain distance? I could totally imagine myself wrecking my swing (please note that I am a high-handicapper) in trying this thing out.

Also, please do let me know if any of you clean the board (or maybe BCScott can weigh in on this). I wonder if you could have multiple people easily use it and still discern who made what markings (thinking that if we got this, both my husband and I would use it).

Thanks again testers!

MC, great job on the videos very good quality and I love the slow mo section. ill be interested to see how your round goes and how this has helped you score. I'm probably going to order one of these based on what I have seen here. Great stuff. I cant wait to give it a try using my TourStriker.

Scott: Thanks for the THP discount.

Once again THP will cost more $$$. :D

I just got mine the other day and the ground is still really wet and there is still snow in spots here. I went out with it today and put it on my mat with some practice balls just to get a feel for it. I am really bad about these things that you have around your ball as training devices. I am really really bad if you are supposed to hit off of them because i am too focused on the device itself. At least this is something that you are trying to avoid. In my case I will tend to take a few shots and warm up before even trying to mess the thing.

Once I got warm I started at the 2 setting and even got to the 1 setting sometimes ticking the board, sometimes not. It does get you to recognize how steep your angle of attack has to be to avoid the board and that really gets you thinking about it when you take the board away. Over the winter I would get complacent about trajectory with my long irons and if I got the ball up about where you would want to see it to play in West Texas wind I would be OK with that. However I was not happy with my 5I trajectory for sure.

So once I had taken some shots with the board I took it away having established the feeling that I need to miss the board. I was definitely hitting better 5I shots. My trajectory was much better as I really felt what I needed in my wrists especially to make a proper shot. You have to watch your spine angle, make a good turn and you have to really establish and maintain a good position with your wrists to get the club head to whip through the hitting zone and the board makes you deal with those issues. Can't wait for the ground conditions to improve so I can use it as it is intended.

Great info.

O wow - great job testers! I just was catching up with the thread. I love the videos mcook77. Really gives a feel of the board.

I would be interested in also know about whether you get more distance by attempting to catch the ball at a different part of your swing. It seems like a great idea, but it seems like there hasn't been an increase in distance so far with most testers. Will any of you be taking lessons in an attempt to fix where you catch the ball? Do you feel that the self correcting in an attempt to miss the board has been counter-productive in your swing or in attempting to gain distance? I could totally imagine myself wrecking my swing (please note that I am a high-handicapper) in trying this thing out.

Also, please do let me know if any of you clean the board (or maybe BCScott can weigh in on this). I wonder if you could have multiple people easily use it and still discern who made what markings (thinking that if we got this, both my husband and I would use it).

Thanks again testers!

Looking at the board I don't think that the marks will clean off (for the most part). I would think that you could put some tape over one set of marks to see where the other person is hitting.
I know that when I hit the ball right I get a big distance gain, at least with a full swing with a SW (20 yds.). At the range I believe I gained about 10-15 yds with my PW and 9I. I am still contemplating taking lessons to help but yesterday when I was hitting the 6I in the back yard I was doing pretty good so my self corrections so far have been a major help. Before, when I self corrected, I didn't really have too much help in seeing how those corrections really impacted my swing. With the Compression Board it gives you good feedback.

I went out today and played 18. In the early holes I could definitely see an improvement in my game after working with the board. Also saw it off and on in the later holes but I was just tired and out of gas towards the end and my old swing started creeping in (with both the irons and driver) so I think it is going to take awhile and many more reps with the board to get the good corrections ingrained into my swing. Mostly my flying right elbow and ball position.
Played today so no video. Ordered a new camera yesterday (an early BD present from the GF) and it is supposed to be here Friday or Saturday. All digital so it will help me get videos up faster (and even records in HD, I may need to go invest in some larger memory memory cards since I don't know how far 8GB will go).

I'm not sure how you're putting the tee down. Could you elaborate please?

Laying the long tee down just as the back edge of the compression board would lie, I have nothing on the sides like the 2 parallel sides on the cb, and would be striking down and toward what would be the open end of the cb. I hope that makes sense.

I know that when I hit the ball right I get a big distance gain, at least with a full swing with a SW (20 yds.). At the range I believe I gained about 10-15 yds with my PW and 9I. I am still contemplating taking lessons to help but yesterday when I was hitting the 6I in the back yard I was doing pretty good so my self corrections so far have been a major help. Before, when I self corrected, I didn't really have too much help in seeing how those corrections really impacted my swing. With the Compression Board it gives you good feedback.

That's very helpful. I skimmed a little bit and wasn't sure if the board was really giving good feedback on distance gain, particularly in terms of self corrections. I just told the Mister about this and he is very interested. LOL. I think he's pretty interested in checking out where he takes his divots and if this will also increase some distance. Keep up the good work!

That's very helpful. I skimmed a little bit and wasn't sure if the board was really giving good feedback on distance gain, particularly in terms of self corrections. I just told the Mister about this and he is very interested. LOL. I think he's pretty interested in checking out where he takes his divots and if this will also increase some distance. Keep up the good work!

If you never actually compress the ball cleanly when you play you'll definitely see distance gains. It really let's you know when you put a good strike on the ball. If you practice with this on the range you will see improvements in your ball striking on the course that's for sure. I have really noticed it helping my pitching/chipping game as well. I'll try to clean the marks off tomorrow and see if they come off for you.

DawgDaddy- I get what you're saying now. If it works that's definitely cheaper than the board, but I really like it.

Agree with the other testers above. I am not looking into any lessons; doing more self correcting than anything. I have also noticed distance gains with proper contact; definitely not any distance loss.

Just getting caught up on this thread and the videos and I must say that I'm very impressed with the amount of time and effort the testers are putting in on this one. I will also say that b/c of what you guys are doing, I'm seriously pondering ordering one of these things.

mcook, your videos are killer and it's amazing to watch your shots continue to get better and better. I just wanted to let you know that you're doing an exceptional job with your testing.

Back