Bad... bad... Shame on you Poults and Gmac !!!

That's a valid point. Bet its hard to tell I've fallen off the Poulter band wagon, lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

He seems to stir up controversy just to be causing a scene and get attention. Reminds me of one of my ex-wives

Here's another pertinent comment. All of you guys who say that The Masters is too stuck in the past, too steeped in tradition - how do you all feel about blue jeans on the course? Or are you also too stuck in the past dress codes to accept such a change. I see the glimmer of a double standard. Cell phones are ok but denim isn't? Which is really more intrusive? Think about it.....:confused2:

Here's another pertinent comment. All of you guys who say that The Masters is too stuck in the past, too steeped in tradition - how do you all feel about blue jeans on the course? Or are you also too stuck in the past dress codes to accept such a change. I see the glimmer of a double standard. Cell phones are ok but denim isn't? Which is really more intrusive? Think about it.....:confused2:

I'm consistent. I'm not big on jeans or cell phones on the course. I carry my phone, but it is turned off when I'm on the course. If they banned them completely from where I play I'd be fine. I don't even know how to take a picture or send a text with the stupid freakin' thing, so that would never be an issue.

I think phones are a necessary evil. I couldn't run my business without one, but I have a very basic phone. I'll never look at one as a toy. If it ever says Tapatalk or something similar under one of my posts, please shoot me.

Kevin

I like it. It's like when your at the movies or having dinner with someone. Common etiquette suggests that you don't use phone during either occasion. Augusta considers it proper etiquette to not use them while on the grounds. If you don't have time to be without your phone for 5 hours, you don't have time for Augusta.

How I feel exactly. I like that they keep the sanctity of the club, course, grounds in place. I agree with the rule and it's enforcement.

I'm not a fan of demin on the course, but at the same time one of the main places I play, the only requirements are sleeves on your shirt. There are plenty of guys out there with demin on. It doesn't bother me at all, just like what happened here doesn't bother me at all either. Its just a couple of pics, no harm to anyone.

That said, if a club has certain rules then follow the rules if you want to play there. The same standard goes, if you play a course with lesser rules don't complain about the guys in demin or taking pics. You accept that when you pick the place to play.

The Masters is my least favorite major. I find those folks who run the Masters arrogant and elitist. Listening to Jim Nantz you'd think he was talking about the Sistine Chapel. It's a golf course.

I thought Augusta didn't allow videos or pictures of the clubhouse or course for public presentation. I read here they also don't allow cell phones. What is the problem with that? IP is just a pita but I am suprised to see this from GM. Some private clubs respect their privacy, one near me won't even share membership info at all. Invite only, and money won't even get you in the door without the invite.
I think the only question here ought to be are they going to be allowed to play the tourney? I'd just show them the door since they both have been there before and are simply breaking rules they are both well aware of.

I'm consistent. I'm not big on jeans or cell phones on the course. I carry my phone, but it is turned off when I'm on the course. If they banned them completely from where I play I'd be fine. I don't even know how to take a picture or send a text with the stupid freakin' thing, so that would never be an issue.

I think phones are a necessary evil. I couldn't run my business without one, but I have a very basic phone. I'll never look at one as a toy. If it ever says Tapatalk or something similar under one of my posts, please shoot me.

Kevin

Well said Kevin. While my phone is capable of it, I've never sent a text message in my life. My phone doesnt take pictures, doesn't send or receive email. It costs me $100 per year for more minutes than I can use. I love being out of touch. The thought of having to be available 24-7 would be terrifying to me.

I think its a bit over the top but as said, it's a private club and them's the rules. There's no doubt Augusta is stuck firmly in the past, but as an Englishman, it'll take a helluva lot more to dampen my enthusiasm for the sport. Obviously The Open would rank as the most important major to me, but the Masters is by far the best televised event. Not only does the course look amazing, but it also signals the unofficial start of the new golf season here. When the Masters hits the TV, you know that worst weather is behind and that its time to (hopefully anyway) pack away the base layers, and that the European tour actually arrives in Europe. Couple that with the memories of staying up till 1 in the morning with school the next morning to see the likes of Sandy Lyle and Nick Faldo winning their green jackets means that the Masters will always be a special tournament to fans over here. It was watching Lyle dribble that putt in on the 18th that turned me from someone that had found a set of clubs and had a speculative whack to becoming a golfing nut!

RE: Poulter and comments that he has no respect for the fans for the rules etc etc...

I've a ton of respect for Poulter. I think he borders on ridiculous for his clothing and his tweeting. However were it life or death there is no other player that I would want standing over a 12 foot putt (except possibly GMAC...). I love the fact that he was confident enough to guarantee he would win his singles match in Ryder Cup. I admire beyond words how he can step onto a course, look around and firmly believe that if he brings his A game - he will win.

I'd draw your attention to him calling foul on himself at the tail end of last season when he dropped his ball on his marker and moved it. Yes - possibly - an armchair fan might have spotted this and called in. But not for a split second did he even consider doing so.

He's keen on tweeting and perhaps goes OTT with posting photos of things - he stoked up a bit of controversy by tweeting pics of Ryder Cup full of cereal, in his golf cart, on the putting green etc. Posted a photo of his toast a few days ago!!!

But a lot of what he says online - fans love. Fans want to see the real, everyday lives of a guy who plays the same game that they do, only a lot better.

Augusta National - living in the past. Rules are rules and shouldn't be violated - you respect the place that you're in.

However Augusta National is a bit of a riddle to me. Ask me if I had a chance to play one round on one course anywhere - and I'd choose there. The 1st major of the year, and my favourite bar the Open (British Open, naturally...). Always keenly anticipated, etc etc etc. Perfect conditions, supremely manicured course, lush shades of green, the drama of balls rolling off greens....

But then there's the 'No Female Members' issue that Bubba Watson has spoken out against (rightly so); the amount it costs to watch the tournament in the flesh, the no visitors, the fact that probably the one course that most golf fans would want to play will never be accessible to them...

Cell phones etc rules I can live with. It's their place. It's the elitist attitude that bothers me. It's the fact that this place stands for an uber-elite, deep south, white gentleman's haven where women, non-rich, and until recently coloured folk weren't welcome.

i wonder if the membership initiation ceremony at augusta involves pricking your finger and burning a saints card?

personally, i think their place their rules, respect them. It's private property, if they say no phones then no phones.

I can't stand jeans, never wear them at the club and never let my kids wear them either. We are, however the exception as our club allows them and some of our more western oriented members think wearing a sports coat with jeans is formal attire.

As to cell phones, Augusta can do what it likes but I use mine as a rangefinder, scorekeeper, to document great shots (camera) and to keep an eye on the weather. durring a round.

Bubba Watson tweeted some pics...uh-oh!

As someone has already said it is all about the $$. Augusta National thinks this aura thing works for them and to some extent they are right. It does work for them. Just the fact that they can get us all riled up works for them. They like it this way and until they see a financial interest in changing they will not.

Sure where it costs them is in the number of times someone might see something like Magnolia Lane and decide that they just have to find a way to get there one year. Where they believe they win I think is the number of instances when they are able to prevent casual access to media and the opportunity to catch something embarrassing or even less than austere in their case as they want as close to complete control as they can get. It is the quick and casual access that a cell phone with camera gives just about anybody anywhere on the property, as you can take the shot and have it gone just like that. Not something Augusta is interested in seeing happen. They have no interest in this social media thing whatsoever and don't care about our view of it one way or the other. Heck I don't even think they want people to be able to stand anywhere on the property and communicate something via cell phone never mind taking and sending a photo. So no they don't want to overhear something like "you will never guess what I am looking at" either.

Augusta doesn't make any money off casual tweeters or some dude with a camera phone. Its a business first and foremost.

Back