PGA Tour Yardage Books

BeanieTX

Reaction score
Handicap
These are no longer done by the caddies prior to the tournaments, they're done by the Tour and each player is handed the same book. Caddies do spot check the yardages I'm sure during the practice rounds though.

My question to you is...are they available online somewhere? There's a tournament at Dove Mountain in Marana next month and I was wondering if the yardage book for the WGC Accenture Matchplay would be stashed online? Or are these heavily guarded secrets that you must know the handshake to get? :)

Thanks!
-Beanie

And no not THAT George Lucas :starwars:

This George Lucas was Arnold Palmers former caddie

I want to know whe nthey paln to do away with the old scholl yardage books and start doing them digitally on a smart device....

And no not THAT George Lucas :starwars:

This George Lucas was Arnold Palmers former caddie

When I first read your post, I immediately thought you were going to link to a joke. Anyway, thanks for that link!

I totally thought you were being an A$$ and posting crap. lol

Thanks!

Yeah you would think with a name like that the yardage books would be in 3D with THX Dolby sound...lol

Hope that is what you were looking for Beanie.

I want to know whe nthey paln to do away with the old scholl yardage books and start doing them digitally on a smart device....

Since even using a GPS on a cell phone is illegal, it would take an amendment to the rules I would imagine.

It's almost exactly what I was looking for. I was looking more for the "free" copy, but for $7 I think I'll be able to eat tonight. Thanks again TBT!

No problem, glad to help

Not sure about the availability of them, but have you ever seen a PGA Tour yardage book? They are absurd- have distances from literally everywhere. I'd love to use one. Here's a pic of the one for 18 at Royal St. George's:

aeff222e-560f-7abf.jpg

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Not sure about the availability of them, but have you ever seen a PGA Tour yardage book? They are absurd- have distances from literally everywhere. I'd love to use one. Here's a pic of the one for 18 at Royal St. George's:

aeff222e-560f-7abf.jpg

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.
That is really cool. I wish the courses around here had them. Since GPS is banned in High school, I pretty much have to guess every time.

I agree 100% but it could be such a money maker and the tour could so monitor each device that was in play.

Since even using a GPS on a cell phone is illegal, it would take an amendment to the rules I would imagine.

I agree 100% but it could be such a money maker and the tour could so monitor each device that was in play.

I don't disagree at all, just have to change the rule first

That is really cool. I wish the courses around here had them. Since GPS is banned in High school, I pretty much have to guess every time.

Oh poor baby. You kids have it so easy these days, with computers and stuff. Back in my day, we didn't even have the luxury of calculators. We actually had to do math with a pencil and paper.

[/B]

Oh poor baby. You kids have it so easy these days, with computers and stuff. Back in my day, we didn't even have the luxury of calculators. We actually had to do math with a pencil and paper.
Was it difficult carrying an Abacus around on the golf course? :D

I was in Myrtle Beach for vacation and played Myrtle Beach National and they were selling yardage books for $3. (I passed since I have a GPS.) But it was pretty nice. All in color and well made. I wouldn't mind having one for courses I frequent.

[/B]

What does him wanting to use gps have to do with your math classes when you walked uphill each way to school? I understand that when you get a job working with numbers they do not allow calculators in the office. Scientists really have gotten dumber since the invention of the computer. We would've done better going to the moon with a compass! Gps does help u hit the ball, know your club distances and improve your scores. Shame on him for not walking off distances from the sprinkler heads and making sure his step length is one yard. If it was a digital book identical to the yardage books that courses sold back in your day would that be any less of an accomplishment because you didn't have to flip the pages?

[/B]

Was that before or after electricity was discovered?

Many courses will have yardage books available at the course. You just have to ask for them.

I use google earth to make my own yardage books, there is a ruler function that will measure out yardage pretty accurately and you can either just rough draw the hole and make notes or I have also printed screen shots and draw in green outlines, fairway outlines, mark dead areas, hazards, what side of the fairway to avoid, etc. As you hover the cursor over an area if you look down at the bottom center of the screen it will indicate elevation changes. This gives you a rough idea of whether the terrain is sloping up or down or if the green is 20 feet above the fairway or vice versa, it won't give you precise elevation changes but you will be able to tell if the hole runs up or down hill. You can plot out distances to the corners of doglegs, etc., the only thing you won't know is exactly where the tees are going to be which can make a difference but it is not really hard to adjust that on the fly. The only thing better is to go to the golf course and walk it with a gps and/or laser ahead of time and make notes but that is not always possible.

That's an awesome link, thanks! I remember at the Masters Ian Poulter was tweeting pictures of his yardage books. They were awesome. Gonna have to bookmark the Yoda Books in case I ever get to play a nice course.

I use google earth to make my own yardage books, there is a ruler function that will measure out yardage pretty accurately and you can either just rough draw the hole and make notes or I have also printed screen shots and draw in green outlines, fairway outlines, mark dead areas, hazards, what side of the fairway to avoid, etc. As you hover the cursor over an area if you look down at the bottom center of the screen it will indicate elevation changes. This gives you a rough idea of whether the terrain is sloping up or down or if the green is 20 feet above the fairway or vice versa, it won't give you precise elevation changes but you will be able to tell if the hole runs up or down hill. You can plot out distances to the corners of doglegs, etc., the only thing you won't know is exactly where the tees are going to be which can make a difference but it is not really hard to adjust that on the fly. The only thing better is to go to the golf course and walk it with a gps and/or laser ahead of time and make notes but that is not always possible.

Great info, thanks!! The course is a two hour drive from my house, so feasibly, I can't go walk it with a 1yr old at home. Yardage books are available at the course, but who knows how long ago theses were created and there may have been changes done to the course that arent shown (bunkers extended, greens shrunk, etc). I'll def work on the google route while my son's napping. In reference to the tee locations, i'll do the distances from the back if each teebox and can walk it off during the rounds. I'm not sure if I'll be caddying for my buddy or not yet, but this info will be valuable for him regardless! Thanks to all who posted.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Many courses will have yardage books available at the course. You just have to ask for them.

Yeah, there are a couple of courses in the Houston area that will sell you a yardage book for $3-$5, but they are very basic, nothing like a tour yardage book. If I was playing a course that was used on tour in a tournament, I think I would spend the $10 for the PGA yardage book.

Back