Mizuno JPX-800 vs. Callaway Razr X

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
So I was at Golf Town yesterday trying to convince myself that my current 15 year old 5 wood is just fine and that I didn't need a new one. I failed miserably as I hit the Titleist 910 15-25 yards further with no loss of dispersion so I am about $280 CAD poorer.

Anyway, while I was there I thought what the heck why not try out some irons. So I hit some balls with my current Callaway X-20 5 iron along with the JPX-800 and Razr X. I thought you guys might be interested in what I thought as these are pretty popular irons on this site.

The first thing I noticed was the obvious offset on the Callaway's, while the Mizuno's had none. The offset on the Razr was identical to the offset on my current X-20. I didn't notice any increased dispersion which surprised me as I figured the lack of offset on the Mizuno's would cause more shots to the right.

The second thing I noticed was a big surprise to me. The Mizuno's felt MUCH heavier than the Razr x, which was comparable to the X-20. This really threw me off and I could not get into a comfortable groove with the Mizuno's because of this. I have a slower swing speed with a very smooth tempo. My comfortable 5 iron goes about 150 so I'm not long. Interestingly, when I looked at the numbers, I hit the Mizuno the same distance as the Razr x, so the increase in weight did not translate into less distance. Perhaps the face is 'hotter', but I'm not sure.

As far as feel goes, the Razr x felt quite muted, very similar to the X-20. Off center hits were hidden quite well. I felt off center hits much more clearly with the Mizuno, but I was quite surprised how well the shot ended up when I felt it was terrible contact. On well struck shots I didn't feel that the Mizuno's felt much better than the Callaway's, which surprised me somewhat.

The conclusion was that both new irons were 5 yards longer than my current one with little to no improvement in dispersion. I wanted to like the Mizuno's more but my swing felt much more comfortable with the Callaway's, even though the data showed them to be pretty much identical.

Just thought it might be an interesting post...

PR

I personally feel that you shouldve posted this information into the threads designated to the specific equipment, but to each his own.

Interesting thoughts either way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I have the razr x high on my lists.

Interesting.... which shafts were in all 3 irons?

The x20's and Razr had the True Temper Uniflex and the Mizuno's had True Temper Gold R300.

Being that I play the JPXs it is interesting for me to hear they are that much heavier. I never really compared these to or against other clubs directly/specifically as I won them in a contest here on THP. I also have the Project X 6.0s which are kinda heavy as well. All in all though they don't feel "heavy" but I haven't compared them much in that regard... I might have to resurrect my JPX-800 thread just to confirm? I think I only noted or noticed the weight as much more of a shaft thing.

Hey Spaceman. I'd be very interested in hearing other people compare weight of the the JPX-800 to some other popular clubs, if only to confirm that it wasn't all in my head!

I have JPX 800s as well and the weight has never seemed any different than any other iron.

I love them!!

Good post. I like callaways. Seems like it comes down to feel for you. I'd likely make the same choice.

I hit both today and had better results with JPX and they felt better too.

I went back to my initial review of these clubs and noticed I wrote this in an early post:

I noticed the weight differential, but playing with rentals in the 2.0s last time with stock shafts I think this was why there was such a noted difference. The PX shafts are considerably heavier (120g in PX and 85g in Stock Stiff flex TMs). So I don't think I can really differentiate the headweight and my tempo I think is pretty fast (not in a good way!).

Someone in the thread asked if I noticed the difference in headweight was considerable to which this (above) was my reply. Thinking back to the Slingshots and the Burner 2.0s (that I would DEFINTELY had bought had I not won these JPXs) the JPXs are heavier but not overly noticeable. Especially when you consider the shaft weight is what really gives the heavier feel at least to my setup and set.

You can check out more of my review here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?22716-Mizuno-JPX-800-My-Review

I stopped posting in that thread because I was the last one to post in there and I didn't want to keep bumping my own thread. But its all good.

I went back to my initial review of these clubs and noticed I wrote this in an early post:

Someone in the thread asked if I noticed the difference in headweight was considerable to which this (above) was my reply. Thinking back to the Slingshots and the Burner 2.0s (that I would DEFINTELY had bought had I not won these JPXs) the JPXs are heavier but not overly noticeable. Especially when you consider the shaft weight is what really gives the heavier feel at least to my setup and set.

You can check out more of my review here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?22716-Mizuno-JPX-800-My-Review

I stopped posting in that thread because I was the last one to post in there and I didn't want to keep bumping my own thread. But its all good.

Keep posting! I've been wondering how you're liking them now that some time has passed.

I hit both today and had better results with JPX and they felt better too.

Did you notice any weight difference? I guess I'm going to have to go for a second look cause this is bugging me now! :)

YEs but in all fairness the JPX were graphite and the callaways were steel. They were just sitting there to demo and so I both gave them a swing. I normally ply steel shafts but I did notice I was longer with the JPX - ,aybe my next irons should be graphite?

The biggest thing was the feel, the Razr did feel muted or dull compared tot he JPX whether not that had to do witht he shaft - I dont know.

Back