Graphite VS Steel

jwalker497

Reaction score
Handicap
I am thinking about replacing my Adams A3 with steel shafts with JPX 800s so I demoed them today some more. My 6 iron swing speed is around 75. FYI - My driver SS is aroun 90mph = 220ish. The monitor said I was hitting the 6iron about 156-165. I normally play my Adams steel 6iron off 150yds. I tried both steel and graphite today and It looked like I hit the graphite a little further and higher I was more in the 163 range. Are there any concerns by switching over to Graphite?? accuracy, strength, etc?? Aside from looking like a senior, if they're goona work better for me, I dont care I will game them? Any thoughts about steel vs graphite with my numbers?

I am thinking about replacing my Adams A3 with steel shafts with JPX 800s so I demoed them today some more. My 6 iron swing speed is around 75. FYI - My driver SS is aroun 90mph = 220ish. The monitor said I was hitting the 6iron about 156-165. I normally play my Adams steel 6iron off 150yds. I tried both steel and graphite today and It looked like I hit the graphite a little further and higher I was more in the 163 range. Are there any concerns by switching over to Graphite?? accuracy, strength, etc?? Aside from looking like a senior, if they're goona work better for me, I dont care I will game them? Any thoughts about steel vs graphite with my numbers?

with your SS I would go to graphite in a heart beat. It will do nothing but help your game. And there is no shame in graphite buddy

This....

In theory you will give up a bit of accuracy for distance...I wouldn't worry about looking like a Senior. My friend plays R7's with graphite and they actually look sick! We're both in our early 30's.

Also, maybe go get fit for your shafts to make sure you get what will work best for you.

This....

In theory you will give up a bit of accuracy for distance
...I wouldn't worry about looking like a Senior. My friend plays R7's with graphite and they actually look sick! We're both in our early 30's.

That would depend on the shaft of course. Do you think that Matt Kuchar is giving up accuracy to play graphite shafts on the PGA Tour? I think it all comes down to quality and what fits a person.

When Miyazaki comes out with an iron shaft I will be one of the first in line to give it a try!

That would depend on the shaft of course. Do you think that Matt Kuchar is giving up accuracy to play graphite shafts on the PGA Tour? I think it all comes down to quality and what fits a person.

Just regurgitating what I have been told sir...I didn't know any of the tour players even used graphite shafts...Though their accuracy level is very much higher...for the avg 15 hcp player I would think that the dispersion rate is much higher than any tour or even scratch player.

Just regurgitating what I have been told sir...I didn't know any of the tour players even used graphite shafts...Though their accuracy level is very much higher...for the avg 15 hcp player I would think that the dispersion rate is much higher than any tour or even scratch player.

That is true of course, but I am not sure that can be because of equipment. I think graphite has come a long way and our own TC reviewed an incredible set of graphite iron shafts recently on the home page that blew him away. I think this is one of those things that gets hit into all of our brains that graphite is for slower swing speeds.

It was that way when it first came out even for drivers.
Now its pretty common to see them on every set sold. (offered, not sold)
And there are a few at the highest level playing them on the PGA Tour. And certainly the LPGA Tour.

Nothing wrong with graphite, if it works for you go for it. There is no conformity that outweighs your score, no one will ask you when your handicap is 5 if you are hitting graphite or steel.

That is true of course, but I am not sure that can be because of equipment. I think graphite has come a long way and our own TC reviewed an incredible set of graphite iron shafts recently on the home page that blew him away. I think this is one of those things that gets hit into all of our brains that graphite is for slower swing speeds.

Agreed.

I'm a huge fan of the Project X, Fubuki and Program graphites and I bet Miyazaki's offering will be plenty sweet too. Graphite is just like steel though, make sure you're fit into the right shaft. All graphite isn't equal to your swing just like steel shafts. TC isn't a light swinger and his review was great. CL isn't what I would call a light swinger either and he's doing excellent with the PX's in his Nike set.

cut [COLOR=#222222 said:
Anyway, I made the senior joke but I really don't care what I look like. So if I get 4-GW, do I get all clubs in Graphite including the Gap Wedge?[/COLOR]

You wouldn't look like this senior unless you had lob wedge second shots into 400 yard par 4s from time to time...

While I was there (Golfsmith) they had me do a Mizuno shaft fitting and it reccomended the Project X shaft. If I get Graphite in these irons, do I also get graphite in my SW and LW? I should stick with steel right??

Snedeker just switched to the same irons as Kuchar. Did he switch to graphite, too?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Anyone else with my swing speed play Graphite in their irons? My 6iron speed is about 75-7792mph and driver is abouy 90-92mph

Anyone else with my swing speed play Graphite in their irons? My 6iron speed is about 75-7792mph and driver is abouy 90-92mph

My swingspeed is a little higher than yours. 82 with 6I and I love the graphite iron shafts that I've tried. Graphite has come a long way since the old days of noodles. Modern day graphite can keep up with any swing and are just as stout as steel. I would definitely give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know your body will love it.

Back