What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I'm thinking of making a Cassoulet because I haven't had it for about 2 weeks and CG's post above has me hungry for it. No rabbit though, so it will be a sausage and turkey I think.

I am so bad with meats, what is that? I want to say its a steak.

looks like a ribeye, my fav cut of steak too. great flavor.

looks like a ribeye, my fav cut of steak too. great flavor.

The package said Prime Rib.. but I honestly don't know the difference between a Rib Eye, and a Prime Rib. I thought they were synonymous at one time.

bacon wrapped filet minon
home made potato salad
steamed rice

Pizza Hut!

Mac n cheese n chicken yummm

Kung Pao Shrimp with a side of fried rice and Crab Rangoons.

Grilled out this evening......New York Strip's and Veggies

Salad from work and leftover cassoulet

The package said Prime Rib.. but I honestly don't know the difference between a Rib Eye, and a Prime Rib. I thought they were synonymous at one time.

Meats are graded by their level of marbling. The fat content interwoven between the muscle fibers.

Their is select, choice, and prime grades of meat. Prime is normally reserved for steak houses and usually only sold there. It's like only 5% of all meat sold in the us.

I have only seen prime grade steaks on rare occasions at my butchers and it's usually $15-$20 a lb.

Most steaks in a typical grocery store are choice-which isn't a bad cut it just doesn't have the level of marbling.

Ribeyes are cut from the same piece of meat as prime rib tho- so it is the same piece just prepared differently.

Prime rib is the quintessential buffet/holiday roast too- so the name implies a cut of meat, a grade of meat, as well as a method of preparation.

It is VERY confusing.

FWIW I've prepared every kind of meat possible- from $5 choice steaks and $100 wagyu dry aged steaks. The difference is there but is it worth it? For special occasion maybe- but it's hard to discern for the layman.

Hope it explained it- it's late and I know probably 4 paragraphs too long

Meats are graded by their level of marbling. The fat content interwoven between the muscle fibers.

Their is select, choice, and prime grades of meat. Prime is normally reserved for steak houses and usually only sold there. It's like only 5% of all meat sold in the us.

I have only seen prime grade steaks on rare occasions at my butchers and it's usually $15-$20 a lb.

Most steaks in a typical grocery store are choice-which isn't a bad cut it just doesn't have the level of marbling.

Ribeyes are cut from the same piece of meat as prime rib tho- so it is the same piece just prepared differently.

Prime rib is the quintessential buffet/holiday roast too- so the name implies a cut of meat, a grade of meat, as well as a method of preparation.

It is VERY confusing.

FWIW I've prepared every kind of meat possible- from $5 choice steaks and $100 wagyu dry aged steaks. The difference is there but is it worth it? For special occasion maybe- but it's hard to discern for the layman.

man you need to take a class just to figure out what meat is hahaha... crazy

tonight im having shrimp scampi

It is VERY confusing.

Hmm interesting, up here our meats are A-AAA grade. These were AA since they were just out in regular trays instead of behind the counter.
What is the preparation difference between a "Prime Rib" steak and a "Rib Eye" steak?

Also, do you know why most places do not include the cap on these?

bar food....going to get my Masters on then the Phillies

Perogies and a milkshake.

That sounds like a stomach ache Dent.

I had homemade pizza on wheat with chicken sausage, shiitake and portobello mushrooms and fresh spinach. YUM!

Just a toasted whole wheat bagel for me. Still full from lunch at Rumbi's... chicken teriyaki with veggies and brown rice.

It is VERY confusing.

Marbling = delicious juicy goodness

Korean BBQ tonight. KIS, Kalbi + White Rice. Nothing else needed.

Hmm interesting, up here our meats are A-AAA grade. These were AA since they were just out in regular trays instead of behind the counter.
What is the preparation difference between a "Prime Rib" steak and a "Rib Eye" steak?

Also, do you know why most places do not include the cap on these?

To be honest I do not know anything of a grading. I've only ever been schooled on the USDA grading choice select and prime.

No idea why they cut the fat cap off- u could ask them to leave one on for ya if you order one early.

Prime rib steak comes from the same exact piece of meat as a ribeye. It's just a naming standard or lack thereof. While "prime" usually refers to the grade of meat; it also refers to the holiday roast "prime rib". Which usually isn't "prime" graded bc of cost.

So when they cut it up and sell- it's a marketing strategy to put prime rib steak ( meaning it's cut from that area). Even though it is a "choice" graded USDA steak.

It can also be called a "delmonico" steak. Hehe

To be honest I do not know anything of a grading. I've only ever been schooled on the USDA grading choice select and prime.

No idea why they cut the fat cap off- u could ask them to leave one on for ya if you order one early.

Prime rib steak comes from the same exact piece of meat as a ribeye. It's just a naming standard or lack thereof. While "prime" usually refers to the grade of meat; it also refers to the holiday roast "prime rib". Which usually isn't "prime" graded bc of cost.

So when they cut it up and sell- it's a marketing strategy to put prime rib steak ( meaning it's cut from that area). Even though it is a "choice" graded USDA steak.

It can also be called a "delmonico" steak. Hehe

I thought it was more of a way of cooking it rather than the grade of the meat. Most of the time if I wanted to eat "prime rib" it's normally done as a roast with a ribeye roast cut of meat and sliced on order au jus (kinda like those ads in Vegas for "prime rib" dinner). Just standard cut ribeye I can grill or pan sear and oven finish, etc., etc.

We're having Ribeyes on the grill with baked potatoes and asparagus. Well, I'M having a baked potato. Jacqui said, with the asparagus, she doesn't think she could eat a potato. (They are HUGE steaks, but still, no potatoes with steak is like saying there is too much cheese on a pizza!)

Ribeye and steamed veggies

Grilled chicken with bacon and sauteed mushrooms covered with swiss cheese and some cauliflower.

YuM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back