My Masters Experience....WOW!

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Well THP'ers, I made it back from the Masters tournament and wanted to give an update on my experiences. It is hard to know where to start, but I will start by saying it was the most incredible and enjoyable golf experience in my life.

I arrived at my hotel about 8pm Friday night and had some dinner. I then went over my notes of what I wanted to do while at the tournament. I was so amped up that I didnt go to bed until 1 am. Then, I was so scared I would oversleep that I set my cell phone alarm, wake up call, had my wife set to call me at 5:30 am. Well I just could not sleep and woke up at 3:30 am and was too scared that if I went back to sleep I would certainly miss getting up on time. I dozed back off and woke back up at 5:00 am and just stayed up watching TV.

I arrived at Augusta National gates early Saturday morning about 6:45am and a throng of people were gathered waiting for their 8 am opening. An electronic sign used for the Masters Tournament listed the prohibited items (cell phone, cameras, ect.. and running was prohibited on the property) I could feel the excitment in the air and when the gates opened people began entering in a orderly fashion; each going to their strategic locations on the course.

I entered and the initial gate and immediately felt I was somewhere very special. I could feel it in the air. I went to the first pro shop I saw and picked up a bunch of gifts. I then headed to the main gate. Everyone was checked for cell phones and then I entered the holy grail of golf. After passing through the turnstyles I was greeted with a paved pathway lined with Azaleas and the best manicurred lanscape I had seen. I could see the driving range, putting green and chipping area to my left. I was like a child running into the living rooms and seeing all the toys he wanted for Christmas.

I made my way to the other gift shop which was even more stocked that the first one I visited. I went into it and bought another bunch of stuff. What is really cool is you can check you purchaes so you dont have to carry it around all day. Having that out of the way, I could make my way to the course. I entered the course and immediately to my right was the famous Masters Scoreboard with all the flags on top. I could see the first hole and an expansive view of the course. I wasnt sure which hole was what, but the first view of the course left me speechless.

I was immediately captivated by the lushness of the fairways. It was as if every blade of grass was cloned; they were perfect. The pine trees were huge and expansive. Even the pine straw looked to me like each individual pine needle was placed individually.

I walked to Amen Corner and placed my chair where I wanted to view. I then went back to the concession stand for some breakfast. This place was getting crowded, but I was in and out within 5 minutes. The Pimento Cheese is a must try as are all the sandwiches which I tried throughout the day. Nothing cost over $.2.00 except beer which I believed cost $3.00.

I sat down at one of the outdoor tables and just absorbed where I was and how fortunate I was to attend. After eating, I ventured out to the course and walked the course back wards to get an uncrowded view of the place. Here is where I became so enthralled with the course and came to realize what everyone kept telling me how TV just does not give you the beauty and grandeur of this place. I was amazed at every single hole. The fairways were like carpet, the greens as smooth as butter. It was almost as if someone painted the course on the land. You can't appreciate its true essence unless you viist the course.

I walked around the Par 3 course which was just as beautiful. Visited the driving range for a couple of hours and watched the players warm up. Tiger, A. Qirous, Fowler, Paddy, Luke Donald, Schwartzel, McIlroy and many other came through. One thing I noticed is that McIlroy makes a mess of the range when he is hitting, what I mean is his divots are not in any line or sequence. Quiros on the other hand is very neat and orderly with his. When he finished he left one space that was nearly an even square large enough to place a magazine in. I jus thought that wasf funny and perhaps too much information.

I walked some more and saw Ernie Els playing with a Marker. I believe they were the first ones out. I struck up a conversation with one of the members wearing the green jacket. We discussed the Marker and who he was. I was told he was a member there and was an exceptional golfer. His lowest score at Augusta was a 63 from the Masters tees. He had shot a 66 a couple of weeks ago. The guy has some serious game. The member told me the Marker had played with Craig Stadler twice in the tournement as a Marker and actually beat the Wlarus both times. Not sure how he faired against Ernie, or perhpas I should say it the other way around.

I walked around more than I watched golf because to me this was not so much about the golfers, but more about the course itself. It is much, much more hilly than I ever thought or had seen on TV. The walk up 18 is a beast. The changes in elevation catch you off guard. Watching some players tee of on #10 is great, it is a down hill that if you hit it right, the ball seems to roll for a mile. Saw players hitting off at #5 over the bleachers onto the green, what a show.

Amen Corner was unbelievable. At one point I was sitting near the tree Phil made the spectacular shot last year. Another time, I was about 3 feet away from Schwartzel's ball when he hit into the crown on #13. The sound of impact when he hit again is amazing. I heard what a golf shot is supposed to sound like.

Throughout the day I met some wonderful people from all over the world. I especially remember breaking bread wtih two older gentlemen who recounted how they skipped high school one day to watch Gary Player win a playoff in 1962They have been coming ever since

This is a funny part of the story: I got the smart idea to buy a Masters chair and place it at the 18th hole so I could watch from both Amen Corner and the 18th green. I got my new chair and an dwrote my name on the ID card and put it in a great spot on 18 and went about my merry way. The great thing about Augusta is that no one ever sits in your chair after you place it. I came back hours later and because so many other people had now placed their chairs there I could not find mine because all the chairs looked alike. No one was sitting in them so all you could see were chairs. I was walking around trying to look for my chair without people thinking I had lost my chair. To solve that problem, I went and bought another chair and put it in another spot and marked it better. I was able to float between Amen Corner and 18 pretty easily. At the end of the day, I was at 18 and when the tournament was over, people were leaving and within 2 minutes I found my first chair. So now I had to walk out carrying three chairs.

I then went to the putting green where Tiger was putting after a horrendous day of putting to work on a few things. He was holing everything on the practice green.

By now, the sun was setting and it was time to leave. As I was leaving I again stopped to take in a final view and noticed the sun setting through the tall Georgia pines as a background to the fairways and it made me stop in tracks and I just sat down for a few more minutes and said to myself, this truly is a special place and the best golfing venue on earth. I was so fortunate that my loving wife appreciated my love for golf that she made this wonderful day possible for me.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get a few (and I mean a few of my experiences) on paper for you folks. But, if you ever get the opportunity to visit the Masters Tournament please do so, I hope you can experience this most prestigious venue in our wonderful sport. Bobby Jones' vision lives on and all I can say is that everything about Augusta National is in one word...PERFECT.

SeeMoreGuy

Last edited:
wow, what an awesome experience, im truely jealous

All I can say is WOW, you are so lucky to have gone and that was a great read, dont apologize for the long read, it could have been longer.

I agree WOW, an awesome experience, glad you got to experience it SMG and thanks for sharing it with us.

That was great, SMG. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. So glad you got to experience it. The chairs thing is a hoot.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I am very happy(read envious) for you!

Thanks for the story. I'm sure I'd be blown away by the whole experience.

Nice write up, I'm in bed sick with the flu this has made me feel better.

Wow, I am very jealous of you, I sat infront of my TV watching the tournament all week.

Great read! It was a pleasure to 'walk' around the course with you.

That sounds awesome, man. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for the writeup. Great read and story and I am longing for the opportunity to go to the Masters. I hope to make it in the next couple of years.

Nice writeup SMG. I learned some new stuff for sure. Sounds like an awesome experience, one I hope to have some day too.

Fantastic write up SMG. I hope one day to get to Augusta. Maybe even next year if I'm lucky.

Great read SMG! Thank you very much for the story and I know I'm not alone in my envy! Big ups to your wife! So freakin cool!

Really cool. You have a great wife!

Cool read, thanks SMG

Great read. God, I wish I could play there just once.

Excellent write up Keith! Memories that will last you a lifetime from such a kind gift from your sweet wife :clapp:

Thanks for sharing your experience, SMG. I really enjoyed reading that.

Thanks for the writeup, I love reading it first hand like that, sounds like someday I could make it there and not just see it on TV!

Thanks for sharing. I love the long post. When you get a chance to experience The Masters you had better have a lot to say.

Great job.

Nice write up SMG! Glad to see we shared some of the same emotions during our visits. Truely incredible experience!!

Wow! That's a priceless experience SMG! Thank you for sharing with us all!

I hope to go to Augusta one day myself before I leave this earth. I'm glad you had a wonderful time!

Great write-up. Thanks, now I actually have to go and experience this for myself one day... :)

Back