Underrated Equipment

so your saying that you can hit and control the trajectory and workability of hybrid better than a long iron (if you hit equally as well)?

I'll try to be more clear. My point is that if you practice hitting a 3I instead of hitting and playing a hybrid your 4-5-6 are going to benefit from it

And even better if that 3i is forged with a thin topline and preferably a muscleback.

Anywho...thought of another underrated for me personally...

Epoch tees. Screw Zero Frictions, I'll never go back having played Epochs now!

Reactions: JR
I still do not agree. It is harder to hold greens with a long iron, hit equally well. Hybrids are better from the tee and the rough. I have no problem working my hybrid, which is supposed to be one of the more forgiving ones. It is also easier to NOT work it. I'll take the hybrid.
so your saying that you can hit and control the trajectory and workability of hybrid better than a long iron (if you hit equally as well)?

I'll try to be more clear. My point is that if you practice hitting a 3I instead of hitting and playing a hybrid your 4-5-6 are going to benefit from it

That is the point of the game but it's also to get better as a player right? Who plays golf to stay on the same level and not get better. I'm not knocking hybrids by any means, I'm saying is that some lower handicap players would benefit more by playing with long irons vs hybrids

Last thing I'll say to this so as not to derail it anymore...

You ARE knocking hybrids by basically saying you cannot be a good ballstriker if you play them. Also, not get better? I've gone from a 25+ to a 11 whilst bagging hybrids and am continuing to drop. I also know several scratch to 5 handicap guys that play them as well.

Anywho, agree to disagree so this whole topic doesnt blow up AGAIN.

And even better if that 3i is forged with a thin topline and preferably a muscleback.

Hahaha someone give this man some rep. I would but my phone doesn't have the workability to do it. It's a SGI phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion will shock you all im sure, LOL but
Everything from Wilson Staff is way underrated but most noticeably their hybrids which are right up there with adams in performance and their golf balls. The balls are unbelievably underrated in my opinion, the D:25, C:25 and FG Tour are every bit as good as ANY other ball in each price range and the zip, if you have a slower s.s. and you dont atleast try a dozen zips, shame, shame, LOL.

Another thing about W/S that is very underrated is their R&D and equipment innovation. The zip and 50 50 balls were the 1st ultra low and low compression balls to hit the market and now almost every oem makes them. The fatshaft or the widetip shaft is the butt of alotta jokes but the truth is that it simply works and it works great to keep those toe hits going straight and on target. And now they have the half+half shaft built for slower s.s.'s and i would be almost willing to bet my farm that no other shaft in golf works better for a slower s.s. They do get talked about here on thp but out in the real world no other company is more underrated, not even close.

I NEVER saw this coming. hehe.

My opinion will shock you all im sure, LOL but
Everything from Wilson Staff is way underrated but most noticeably their hybrids which are right up there with adams in performance and their golf balls. The balls are unbelievably underrated in my opinion, the D:25, C:25 and FG Tour are every bit as good as ANY other ball in each price range and the zip, if you have a slower s.s. and you dont atleast try a dozen zips, shame, shame, LOL.

Another thing about W/S that is very underrated is their R&D and equipment innovation. The zip and 50 50 balls were the 1st ultra low and low compression balls to hit the market and now almost every oem makes them. The fatshaft or the widetip shaft is the butt of alotta jokes but the truth is that it simply works and it works great to keep those toe hits going straight and on target. And now they have the half+half shaft built for slower s.s.'s and i would be almost willing to bet my farm that no other shaft in golf works better for a slower s.s. They do get talked about here on thp but out in the real world no other company is more underrated, not even close.

Next thing we know, you will reveal that you are in fact a Slovokian Transvestite Arm Wrestler with a pet gerbil named Hammond who breeds albino iguanas on the side.
Yea im full of suprises, i aint predectible AT ALL, :lying:

Next thing we know, you will reveal that you are in fact a Slovokian Transvestite Arm Wrestler with a pet gerbil named Hammond who breeds albino iguanas on the side.

How did you know that? I've hid it from everyone my G.F. doesnt even know thats supposed to go to the grave with me man, LOL.

How did you know that? I've hid it from everyone my G.F. doesnt even know thats supposed to go to the grave with me man, LOL.

I have my ways.

To me using hybrids instead of long irons hurts you ball striking ability with your mid irons. Hybrids are more forgiving and land the ball softer no argument on that one but the workability real isn't there neither is the trajectory control both of which you need to be a good iron player. I do realize that some golfers are a long way off and do need hybrids to make the game more enjoyable, In my opinion to many golfers have coped out for something easier to hit and in the long run are hurting themselves from becoming better ball strikers

If you can't work a hybrid and control the trajectory when needed, then maybe lessons are needed. I can work my hybrid either direction and knock it down as well if needed. Not all that hard to do.

To me using hybrids instead of long irons hurts you ball striking ability with your mid irons. Hybrids are more forgiving and land the ball softer no argument on that one but the workability real isn't there neither is the trajectory control both of which you need to be a good iron player. I do realize that some golfers are a long way off and do need hybrids to make the game more enjoyable, In my opinion to many golfers have coped out for something easier to hit and in the long run are hurting themselves from becoming better ball strikers

I can work straight just fine. Let's be honest here. Been golfing for almost 30 years and I can't think of a round where hitting nice straight shots doesn't do the trick. Now, if I badly mishit one and find myself in a bad spot workability is nice to have. Point is to avoid those situations. Why not use clubs that minimize your risk? Makes no sense to do otherwise. Hit what you want, but saying the use of easy to hit clubs is a cop out is off base. Golf is about the quality of your misses. Everything hits great when you catch the screws. Sorry for off topic!

In the spirit of my post, I agree Niblicks are a handy tool and most golfers would benefit from using them.

Good post and I agree completely. The VAST majority of amateur golfers would be better served hit the ball straight or use their natural ball flight instead of trying to work the ball around. Also, I see absolutely no correlation between 'getting better' and playing a 3 iron. You get better by shooting lower scores, not by playing a club that many pro golfers don't even carry. I know lots of very good golfers, some that are incredible with irons, and they play hybrids.

Workability = not underrated.

I can work straight just fine. Let's be honest here. Been golfing for almost 30 years and I can't think of a round where hitting nice straight shots doesn't do the trick. Now, if I badly mishit one and find myself in a bad spot workability is nice to have. Point is to avoid those situations. Why not use clubs that minimize your risk? Makes no sense to do otherwise. Hit what you want, but saying the use of easy to hit clubs is a cop out is off base. Golf is about the quality of your misses. Everything hits great when you catch the screws. Sorry for off topic!

In the spirit of my post, I agree Niblicks are a handy tool and most golfers would benefit from using them.

A lot of great examples so far; I'm going to go with boutique putters on this one.

When I say "boutique", I mean legit boutique. Don't get me wrong, Bettinardi and Cameron can make a MEAN stick, but I find there can be something really special in those Piretti, Byron Morgan, Machine etc. putters that you just won't find with the big putter brands. You can also get special options that other companies won't do for anyone except tour players.

Case in point, Scotty makes a long-neck, face-balanced Newport, and Ping also has a similar Redwood Anser. However, shy of A) being a tour player or B) knowing the right people and STILL forking out a grand, they won't do make these for you.

After a number of emails with Mike from Piretti, I was able to get exactly what I wanted, with a ton of custom options, for the price of an OTR Scotty.

I honestly have absolutely no affiliation with this company, but I really like the idea behind supporting these small boutique companies, especially when their attention to detail often surpasses that of the big names.

Come to think of it, I think pretty much any piece of solid equipment NOT played by a pro staffer is generally underrated.

Good post and I agree completely. The VAST majority of amateur golfers would be better served hit the ball straight or use their natural ball flight instead of trying to work the ball around. Also, I see absolutely no correlation between 'getting better' and playing a 3 iron. You get better by shooting lower scores, not by playing a club that many pro golfers don't even carry. I know lots of very good golfers, some that are incredible with irons, and they play hybrids.

Spot on!

I agree Hawk. I consider myself a pretty good iron player (other areas kill me of course), but to me there is absolutely no correlation to play a low iron and being a better golfer. At the Masters this weekend 74% of the golfers out there had at least 1 hybrid in their bag. Are they not able to work the ball? Im very confused with how one relates to the other. I also always thought that to be a good golfer meant to shoot the lower score.

I strongly suggest anybody that feels as though a hybrid is a crutch in some sorts to the game of golf needs to read the interview with one of the greatest club makers of all time on the home page. After all, the guy was part of creating the first ever hybrid.

If you can't work a hybrid and control the trajectory when needed, then maybe lessons are needed. I can work my hybrid either direction and knock it down as well if needed. Not all that hard to do.

Agreed.

I had never even hit a hybrid before I bought my set of Diablo Edge's. Now I don't know what I ever did without them.
I hope to never have to hit a 3 iron again, much less a 2. I have confidence in my hybrids and find them so much easier to draw, fade or keep straight than i do with long irons. Plus, I can use them for finesse shots around the green as well as bailing me out of the rough when I get errant on a tee shot.
3 iron out of heavy rough?? No thanks....

I heard baby jeebus himself works in the Mizuno factory. They are SO buttery.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Now that made me LOL. thats great.

My thoughts exactly hoosier, last week I cut a 4 hybrid 30 yards over and around some trees. I cant cut the Mashie as well as the Diablo's but they cut and draw.

Ok guys I got me some new balls to play with tomorrow. Just a test mind ya as I am a confirmed Bridgestone homey. There was quite a few posts on here about how underrated the Topflight Gamer V2 ball is. I am playing with SW Fla & DawgDaddy tomorrow and will be putting these puppies in action. I will let ya know my thoughts after the round.

Ok guys I got me some new balls to play with tomorrow. Just a test mind ya as I am a confirmed Bridgestone homey. There was quite a few posts on here about how underrated the Topflight Gamer V2 ball is. I am playing with SW Fla & DawgDaddy tomorrow and will be putting these puppies in action. I will let ya know my thoughts after the round.

I have been thinking about these, but they are hard to find used.

I have been thinking about these, but they are hard to find used.

Jacob -- Dick's had them on sale for $15.00 bucks in Macon today and with the rave reviews posted in this thread, I said why not try em.

Jacob -- Dick's had them on sale for $15.00 bucks in Macon today and with the rave reviews posted in this thread, I said why not try em.

Because the closest Dicks is in Tupelo, MS. Lol. I am gonna hack these e%'s for a bit longer and the V2's will be next.

Because the closest Dicks is in Tupelo, MS. Lol. I am gonna hack these e%'s for a bit longer and the V2's will be next.

Srixon AD 333 baby. Will treat you right. Shop around the corner has 6 packs for 7.50.

Wilson staff, ray cook putters, and cobra!

Back