Irons over Driver

James

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else find themselves struggling with their driver? I usually hit a really, really bad slice of the tee with my driver and 3 wood, which if it is a good day will end up deep in rough, but on a bad day, out of bounds or on the other fairway.

To save myself the embarrassment I now just play my Irons off the tee, as I can consistently hit the fairway and get decent distance. Anyone else do this?

Absolutely. If you're having one of those days my 3 hybrid is my best friend off the tee.

Does anyone else find themselves struggling with their driver? I usually hit a really, really bad slice of the tee with my driver and 3 wood, which if it is a good day will end up deep in rough, but on a bad day, out of bounds or on the other fairway.

To save myself the embarrassment I now just play my Irons off the tee, as I can consistently hit the fairway and get decent distance. Anyone else do this?

Lessons Lessons Lessons

If I am having a bad day, then I will go to the 3-h. I spend a lot of time on my woods, just to make sure I can get decent results from the tee.

Lessons Lessons Lessons

As much as I agree with the necessity of lessons. It is a very boring game if all you do is range time and lessons. Take a lesson a week but be sure to get out on the course and get used to actually golfing.

Lessons Lessons Lessons

I agree. Before I spent another penny to play a round of golf that puts you in a position of being either embarrased or frustrated, I would just get a lesson to put you on the track to enjoying the game more and make you better faster. I put off lessons forever, reasoning that I wanted to wait until worked the worst of the kinks out of my swing to get the most bang for my buck. Problem is it takes someone eons to do on their own what a lesson can do in 45 minutes. Best move I ever made. The right teacher will knock 10 strokes off your handicap in a few lessons.

Now, to answer you question, heck yes. When my driver goes wild, I drop down to my 4 iron usually or my Baffler if I can (usually the driver, woods, hybrid all go south together).

This also happens to me, when it does I use the 3wood or on a bad day the hybrid.

Yes, but I think sometimes irons ARE the better play. Anytime I am playing a short par 4 that I can reach with a 5 iron off the tee and a 7 iron or less into the green I will take that route. Same thing n par 5's, if I can reach the green wit a 5 iron off the tee and two 7 irons or less, I'm all in. Most of the time when I do this I end up with a lower score on the hole than my playing partners.

Sometimes i will go to the hybrid if im having a really bad driving day, have gone to the irons a few times as well

Usually if I'm not driving it well my irons won't help either as I am swinging completely wrong, and I would rather have a shot with a bad drive then an iron shot off the tee due to forced carries we have here. On shorter holes with no forced carries I could see using an iron, but I just hit my 3w or 5w on those holes if I am not driving well.

I have done it before. Now that I have a decent 3W I can just back down to that instead of all the way down to a Hybrid.

I do have to agree with the lessons though. I finally broke down this year and am in the middle of a 5 week lesson series. This week should be the driver so hopefully we can come up with a fix for this pesky slice that sneaks in once and a while.

I will use the 4hybrid off the tee for the majority of the round, better to keep the ball in play. The driver will come out on Par 5's and when playing into a strong wind

Nothing wrong with iron iron wedge to green. First time I broke 90 the driver never left the bag.

I actually hit my 4 - iron good enough to use it off the tee on many of our holes. I recently put a 4 hybrid in the bag but I would not have a problem alternating time with my 4 iron.

I am fortunate enough that if the driver is acting up I can simply go to the 3 wood, it is almost as long and I rarely hit it anything except straight. I love my 3 wood.

As much as I agree with the necessity of lessons. It is a very boring game if all you do is range time and lessons. Take a lesson a week but be sure to get out on the course and get used to actually golfing.

From the OP "I usually hit a really, really bad slice of the tee with my driver and 3 wood" How boring will it get to just play nothing but irons? Fix the swing first.

From the OP "I usually hit a really, really bad slice of the tee with my driver and 3 wood" How boring will it get to just play nothing but irons? Fix the swing first.

Don't get me wrong. The swing needs to be fixed. But I don't think that he should avoid the course in the mean time. Take some lessons, hit the range, and play 9 holes every week. That sounds more enjoyable to me than just lessons and driving range until the slice is somewhat controlable.

I struggled badly with my driver for quite awhile. At one point, I just tee off with a 5 iron. In the end, avoiding it won't help you. It's a club that is very useful to have if you hit it decent. Definitely look at few lessons and have confidence in it.

I play this way when I'm having a bad day off the tee. I usually only do it during league play but. If I'm just out for fun I will stick with the club I'm having trouble with in order to get it figured out.

Back