That necessary evil

They've already seeded our greens around here, but it seems like they're doing it again :confused2: They should offer discounts on such days :D

at my course they actually only chrged you for 9 holes while this was going on and this happened in early february

our course just started aerating too and while it does suck, its funny watching the other members b*tch, moan and complain. i was there yesterday and 2 members were all huffy and puffy and demanding their bags be brought to them so they could go play somewhere else, lol. i mean, yes, it sucks, but its gotta be done

Today out of general interest I parked near the 2nd green of our Pine View course, which is near the entrance road to the course. No one was playing the hole at the time, so I walked over and looked at the green - I was pleasantly surprised - the green is healing very nicely and was mowed today. It wouldn't be super smooth or fast, but worlds better than just last Saturday. With the heat of today and tomorrow, and a couple of more mowings, I think that by this Saturday the greens will be pretty decent. Hurrah! I had really thought they did this aerification a bit early in the season and the healing would be slower, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, our super knows his stuff and I should've trusted that.

its that time of year again... I'm trying to plan a guys outing Sep 23 - 25, seems like every course is aerating on 9/19. Dont want to assume they will be relatively healed either...

Played in league on Monday (the back 9). Number 10 was aerated, 11-15 were not, 16-18 were. It's bad enough when they all are, but to have some done and others not was crazy.

I mean the holes werent huge, and they tipsters afterwards. A solid root system will bounce back very fast.

I have seen two types of aerification:

1) Core aeration - they pull plugs out of the green about the width of a man's finger and the plugs are about 2-3 inches apart. Then they "sweep" the plugs off the greens and top dress with sand or a mulch/soil mix. Healing time on this can vary, but in hot weather with good watering/rain and with a really good top-dress job, in 10-14 days the greens will perform pretty well.

2) Deep-tine aeration - they punch the greens with spikes about 9-10 inches long thinner than a pencil. A light top dressing may or may not follow, but actually the greens roll pretty normally after just one or two mowings.

This year I have to give huge kudoes to our greens staff - they did the core aeration once, at the end of May and early June, 9 holes per week for 3 weeks (we have 27), and they did a meticulous top-dressing job. I was on vacation during the first part of the process, but when I played there again the last 9 had just been completed, and it rolled pretty well - the other 9's were already healed.

We have a real bad green on one of our par threes on my home course. It has been horrible all year and all they do is keep adding sand on it. I wish they qould really try to fix it right. It is on base here and i think the budget for the course got cut back and now it is really starting to show through.

they did"my" course on Wed.-will see tomorrow morning how the greens are---a buddy was in Hawaii once and paid big bucks to play one of 'the courses' only to find out that he was almost following the sander from hole to hole--not a happy camper that day!

1) Core aeration - they pull plugs out of the green about the width of a man's finger and the plugs are about 2-3 inches apart. Then they "sweep" the plugs off the greens and top dress with sand or a mulch/soil mix. Healing time on this can vary, but in hot weather with good watering/rain and with a really good top-dress job, in 10-14 days the greens will perform pretty well.

2) Deep-tine aeration - they punch the greens with spikes about 9-10 inches long thinner than a pencil. A light top dressing may or may not follow, but actually the greens roll pretty normally after just one or two mowings.

This year I have to give huge kudoes to our greens staff - they did the core aeration once, at the end of May and early June, 9 holes per week for 3 weeks (we have 27), and they did a meticulous top-dressing job. I was on vacation during the first part of the process, but when I played there again the last 9 had just been completed, and it rolled pretty well - the other 9's were already healed.

We pulled plugs. Sweepem up and lay sand behind it. Then drag.

And good root system with a good blade system should never take 10-14 days.

we're doing the deep tine deal and after a few days you cant even tell it was done... well except they roll slower

Good info here, thanks for the insight. These courses are will be aerating 5-6 days prior to our arrival. Since we're out of towners, its tough to say how good the root/blade, watering structure normally is. I'm going to poll the fellas and just hope for the best I guess.

The course I play most of the time has two sets of greens except on two holes. They are summer and winter greens so other than the two holes we never have to worry about it. And half the year its a different course.

Maintenance did a small core aeration monday and tuesday this past week. The staff uses two sizes of corers and also use the tines. The large cores are done in spring and take a long time to smooth out. The small holes will be smooth in another week (if we get all that rain that's being forecast this week.) They use the tines every two or three weeks all summer long and those heal in a couple of days. Aeration is a necessary evil, the greens were getting really stressed from heat and humidity.

A couple of years ago, I read about some new greens somewhere that do not require aeration? I don't remember any of the details but would really be interested in knowing how those greens are holding up.

they punched giant holes today
sanded and top dressed it... whatever that means lol

Back