Changing the Way Golfers Take Lessons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty good point, It seems like we often think one lesson is all we need. For some, it may be enough to get them back on track, but I think that's the exception more than the rule.

great points, lord knows I need more than 1 lesson. Was just thinking yesterday that maybe this would be a good investment over the winter months here

I actually take a series of 4 weekly lessons at a time. I share each hour with a friend or two, so I only get about 20-30 mins of instruction each time. I actually like it that way. It's enough time for the coach to identify an issue and give me 1 or 2 things to work on for the week, which is just about the most I can digest at a time. I also try to have a two or three range sessions before the next lesson to solidify what I learned.

I like GolfTEC's philosophy. It makes sense. With 95% of their clients seeing improvements and an average of 6 strokes dropped, that is results!

Great article. I am glad GolfTEC is a part of the forum.

I like GolfTEC's philosophy. It makes sense. With 95% of their clients seeing improvements and an average of 6 strokes dropped, that is results!

Great article. I am glad GolfTEC is a part of the forum.

no kidding, 6 strokes is crazy. Would be curious to see a breakdown of before and after of handicap ranges. With 6 being the average, its obviously easier to drop 6 strokes when you are a 30 handicap compared to say a 12.

I have read on here how multiple forum members have utilized their local GolfTec to help them in addressing swing flaws. They definitely appear to have a solid game improvement program.

Thanks to GolfTec for being apart of the THP forum!

Tappin' from my iPad!

This is in line with the book I just read. So many people want a bandaid fix and when it works for a week or two they are happy but when their swing goes back to slicing or whatever they start looking for a new instructor cause this one obviously didn't work. When in fact it takes weeks and months to fix even one part of your swing. The whole teaching part of golf is somewhat flawed. I think GolfTec def is on the right direction of changing it and not giving the bandaid fixes that all golfers are looking for. Instructors and students alike need to be educated more on what it involves. I know I learned a ton from this book. Which in fact my coach from GolfTec recomended because he said it would help me through my swing change and understand why things are happening. Anyway the book was easier said than done by dr Rick Jensen.

I wish more people would take lessons. I waited way too long (20+ years) and developed so many bad habits. I have committed to lessons for the last year and they have made a big difference. I say start lessons early so you won't develop all those awful habits like I did.

Good read. I took my first lesson in 1970 and my last about a month ago, all with the same PGA Teaching Professional. I know for me lessons have been a life long thing.

If the world class professional players need a swing coach, I know I need one. I have often thought about the fact that 99% of the professional golfers in the world work with a coach, yet it is not unusual to hear many people here in the forum say they have never had a lesson. I've often wondered why this is?

This is in line with the book I just read. So many people want a bandaid fix and when it works for a week or two they are happy but when their swing goes back to slicing or whatever they start looking for a new instructor cause this one obviously didn't work. When in fact it takes weeks and months to fix even one part of your swing. The whole teaching part of golf is somewhat flawed. I think GolfTec def is on the right direction of changing it and not giving the bandaid fixes that all golfers are looking for. Instructors and students alike need to be educated more on what it involves. I know I learned a ton from this book. Which in fact my coach from GolfTec recomended because he said it would help me through my swing change and understand why things are happening. Anyway the book was easier said than done by dr Rick Jensen.

This is a really good post. It reminds me of some training aids that fix something briefly, but always seem to fall flat. Or the idea that when we pick up a new driver how it works for 3-4 rounds and then we are back doing the same thing with it that we were with the previous one.

I have often thought about the fact that 99% of the professional golfers in the world work with a coach, yet it is not unusual to hear many people here in the forum say they have never had a lesson. I've often wondered why this is?

I guess most people play the game as what it is - a game. Getting away from daily chores, must-do's etc and then maybe you don't want a guy/girl telling you "yer doin' it wrong and need to spend time and effort on practice". I mean, I like to fish but I don't want to take a course in fishing, even though I'd like to catch more and bigger fish.

I love my golf and definately want to get better and for me im at level where I won't improve without help and effort. I'm planning on taking a series of one to one lessons through the winter with my local pro and im 100% certain it will be worth it provided I put the effort in to practice what Im taught.

Not sure how anyone would think that one lesson will be a cure all. I dont exactly take lessons all the time but I have a swing coach available anytime I need him.

I wish I could afford lessons. I think with a few tweaks my game could really round into shape. I really like how Golftec uses video in their lessons. I just wish they could put the video together with an outdoor facility near me. I can't hit balls inside

Interesting info from GolfTec, and really glad to hear they are expanding their locations. I know I am guilty of doing a quick search for a tip on my grip or stance to prevent a slice. But like buckjob said, it's a quick fix, and ultimately I get back to what was causing my issues in the first place.

Taking lessons on a long term basis is important for maintaining a healthy repetitive swing. I plan on continuing my lessons broken down in 4 pack lessons spread over four three month sections. It is amazing what a good pro can do for your confidence, and teach you the correct things to practice which builds muscle memory. If you don't stay with it, the memory part can go away so it's important to maintain the confidence and skills. Just like a car you have to schedule maintenance to keep it running smooth. I am fortunate to have a good young pro who works great with my game and has a great economical type package to enjoy.

I guess most people play the game as what it is - a game. Getting away from daily chores, must-do's etc and then maybe you don't want a guy/girl telling you "yer doin' it wrong and need to spend time and effort on practice". I mean, I like to fish but I don't want to take a course in fishing, even though I'd like to catch more and bigger fish.

It is for sure a game for me, but I want to be good at it, or at least as good as I can be. My time with my teacher now, and really for the past several years, is more or less to just nip any little issue's that crop up. I have not changed much swing wise for years, so I just like having another set of eyes when I don't score well over a period of time. We also do more of my pro going out on the course with me while I play a round, just to see if my course management needs to be improved. A stroke here and a stroke there makes a lot of difference in the final tally.

I completely agree with the article, there are way too many aspects of a golf swing to just fix one thing be done. I like their approach and use of technology to help teach. I just wish there was one closer to where I lived... maybe one of those new locations they mentioned?!?

Excellent points. It's very rare that one lesson will "fix the game". There are usually multiple items needing correcting. And, the average brain can/should only work on one of them at a time. Once issue one is addressed/fix, go on to issue #2, etc. It's definitely a long-term process.
Great article.

Very good read, I've been looking at taking some GolfTec lessons over the winter months

A great article and very true. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are our swings.

It was a great article, thanks for posting it. As most others have said, there really is no quick fix or bandaid for the golf
Swing, and if you want to become better I think it's imperative to take lessons. I took a golftec lesson and the video
instantly showed us a major flaw that was causing the occasional pull, and through practice and video, he was able to
Show me a couple drills to get it sorted out. Their concept is refreshing, organized, and fun.

It's amazing how many lessons are given by GolfTec pros. THP members are very fortunate to have access to their knowledge in the Ask the Pro section.

Back