TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Nice work RW! Definitely keep us informed about the shaft swap. I am having some issues with the Blur in my T3 not that my swing has gotten out of its funky state. I have been looking for some R11 TP FW wood shafts on ebay to try and pick one up and do a comparison.

I am really looking forward to trying out this head with a different shaft. I am thinking that it will really make a difference in how this clubs performs for me. I am going to the course on tuesday to play in mens league and talk to the pro and have him order the R11 tip for me.

Hi
So today I was swinging my driver poorly. I could not get any ss at all. Frustrated, I went and had a look at the vr pro. Something must have been wrong with me as I was ringing the vr really well. I hate off days! My mind is playing tricks with me as the Nike felt lighter for some reason, they are the same swing weight. I also had issues with the FW. Needless to say, I can't go back to black. It just does not look right anymore. I am sure when the blisters heal, if I give em a chance, I will be well served again.

I finally got my first nine in with the R11 driver. It was a links style course I hadn't played before and quite windy. On the holes where my swing was under control, I got great results averaging about 270 with a long drive of 295. On the two swings my right elbow flew out, I sliced OB, the second of which was only by a foot and a half.

I can't say enough about how easy this driver is to align and as long as I don't swing out of my shoes, the results are fantastic! Can't wait for these April showers and tornadoes to make way for warm weather and sunshine.

Ok so today I am going to put the R11 7 - wood into play on several holes. I will report back this p.m. about the results. I already have several rounds under my belt with this club. It's a great little club and for you folks that are fairway wood lovers, I think you should seriously consider the R11. it has options that the other brands don't have so why not. Treat yourself to a seven wood that you can bag for years. I know of several senior golfers who love their 7 - wood. For those of you who don't have one, seriously consider R11. I have said in this thread and other threads that I am a hybrid man, but if I was a fairway wood man, this would be the one I would bag.

I had a really good day today was the R11. Other than a well needed breakfast ball on the first tee my driving day was excellent. Each drive kept getting better and better. This club has forced me to set up differently, and I'm still getting used to that, but my balls are flying further and straighter. Even on mishits and poor swings I do not have a massive sky slice, rather it's just a baby fade. Since I've put about 7 rounds into this club and I haven't picked up my old driver since, I'm going to take my old driver and R11 to the range for a head to head.

I had a really good day today was the R11. Other than a well needed breakfast ball on the first tee my driving day was excellent. Each drive kept getting better and better. This club has forced me to set up differently, and I'm still getting used to that, but my balls are flying further and straighter. Even on mishits and poor swings I do not have a massive sky slice, rather it's just a baby fade. Since I've put about 7 rounds into this club and I haven't picked up my old driver since, I'm going to take my old driver and R11 to the range for a head to head.

Glad its working well for you Mardin, i hit some of the longest drives i ever have with the R11/RIP BETA combo, when its hit on the screws it flat out goes but when i missed i was punished horribly. Guess it just didnt fit my swing as well as i thought/wanted it to.

Well I took the R11 out on it's first excursion on Friday. It was the first time it was alone in the bag without the 910 so I had to hit it even if I was struggling. And yes I was struggling. It was pouring out and cold so I am sure distances were greatly affected but I am just not loving this driver. Didn't feel like I hit it well all day. Rain finally forced us to quit after 12 holes but I think I only hit 3 fairways on the day and my avg. distance was probably around 230-240 which is short for me. I want to get out there on a day that I don't have 3 layers of clothing so I can give it an honest test to beat out the 910 but so far not so good. Sorry for the lack of specificity but I couldn't take any notes due to the heavy rain.

Well I took the R11 out on it's first excursion on Friday. It was the first time it was alone in the bag without the 910 so I had to hit it even if I was struggling. And yes I was struggling. It was pouring out and cold so I am sure distances were greatly affected but I am just not loving this driver. Didn't feel like I hit it well all day. Rain finally forced us to quit after 12 holes but I think I only hit 3 fairways on the day and my avg. distance was probably around 230-240 which is short for me. I want to get out there on a day that I don't have 3 layers of clothing so I can give it an honest test to beat out the 910 but so far not so good. Sorry for the lack of specificity but I couldn't take any notes due to the heavy rain.

I think some consistent play with this club might be needed just like it takes time compared to any other new club. Is it stock?

I think some consistent play with this club might be needed just like it takes time compared to any other new club. Is it stock?

It's with the Fubuki Alpha 70S. It's in the neutral setting with the ASP set in closed. Possible that the shaft is not for me and I have to admit that this is the first time I struggled with the accuracy of this driver. Definitely going to give it a fair shake.

Took my R11 driver out to the course for the first time yesterday. First tee I hit a beautiful fade perfectly slicing the middle of a 8 yard wide piece of fairway. I definitely had my fade going on yesterday, but for the most part the R11 responded with the swing I put into it. I would love a bit more forgiveness (say a 460cc model), and I don't need all the workability that this club brings to the table, but I did hit 10/13 fairways and only hit two really bad ones (one unfindable slice, and one double-cross on an intended fade). I need to spend a bit more time to see what I can adjust both clubwise and swingwise to help straighten the fade some, but the distance was very nice on those I did catch clean (fade or not).

Took my R11 driver out to the course for the first time yesterday. First tee I hit a beautiful fade perfectly slicing the middle of a 8 yard wide piece of fairway. I definitely had my fade going on yesterday, but for the most part the R11 responded with the swing I put into it. I would love a bit more forgiveness (say a 460cc model), and I don't need all the workability that this club brings to the table, but I did hit 10/13 fairways and only hit two really bad ones (one unfindable slice, and one double-cross on an intended fade). I need to spend a bit more time to see what I can adjust both clubwise and swingwise to help straighten the fade some, but the distance was very nice on those I did catch clean (fade or not).

Thats great AD, i agree about a 460cc version would be awesome, just give that little more forgiveness that allot of us need.

My driver search for 2011 is over. I have settled for a R11. Bone stock, 10.5 regular with the Blur shaft. I confess this is the first driver that I did not like this year, but that was before adjusting the settings to suit my swing. Now it's dialed and this is the best driver for me so far. I have consistently been able to hit the center of the club and it has given me great distance and consistence. Even my bad swings are playable slices which I will take any day. People have commented that missing the center of the face punishes them in terms of distance and I agree but it still flies straight for me so I am happy with the shorter distance since they will be playable.
I really wanted to love the Z-Star, which felt so nice and smooth, but R11 performs better for me and I am very happy with my choice.
My settings are 0.5 degree up at 11 degrees, ASP open. I was fitted on a TM demo day with 11.5 degrees, but my ball flight seems to be good with just 0.5 degree higher today.

My driver search for 2011 is over. I have settled for a R11. Bone stock, 10.5 regular with the Blur shaft. I confess this is the first driver that I did not like this year, but that was before adjusting the settings to suit my swing. Now it's dialed and this is the best driver for me so far. I have consistently been able to hit the center of the club and it has given me great distance and consistence. Even my bad swings are playable slices which I will take any day. People have commented that missing the center of the face punishes them in terms of distance and I agree but it still flies straight for me so I am happy with the shorter distance since they will be playable.
I really wanted to love the Z-Star, which felt so nice and smooth, but R11 performs better for me and I am very happy with my choice.
My settings are 0.5 degree up at 11 degrees, ASP open. I was fitted on a TM demo day with 11.5 degrees, but my ball flight seems to be good with just 0.5 degree higher today.

glad to hear its going well for you, Im going to Demo it for teh 2nd time tomorrow and see how I do, thus far its between it and the superfast 2.0 but I have a few others to hit still too

glad to hear its going well for you, Im going to Demo it for teh 2nd time tomorrow and see how I do, thus far its between it and the superfast 2.0 but I have a few others to hit still too

Hope it treats you well, i know mine was whispering mike needs to buy me lol. Which ever you choose i hope it fits your game well and you find allot of fairways

I put in another session with mine today, have it set at 9.5 with a 16 heel and 1 toe with the Blur shaft today. Misses were complete hooks. Tomorrow I am going to put my old rombax 85g shaft in and see how it feels. I was going back and forth yesterday with the Blur, RIP and the rombax, but didn't mess with the settings to just get a general feel for it. From yesterday and today I feel I like the heavier shaft suits me better. The flight was good with it today and was getting it out there pretty far. The range is setup up currently where the is a slight hill at the back that rolls up to an area they use for teaching back there at 285yds. I was sticking them into the side of the hill so I couldn't see how much roll out I was getting. Tomorrow I might go to the end of the range and move back some to get a better idea of how much roll I will get with this setup. So far as everyone else has written, miss hits for me seem to only go 150-200ish and look like they would still be playable most times and the sweet spot is center, or slightly lower, everything left, right or high does nothing.

It was funny as I have been switching shafts back and forth, I picked up the R9 with the RIP in it and had to really slow my swing down as it was so light compared to the other shaft in it.

Hope it treats you well, i know mine was whispering mike needs to buy me lol. Which ever you choose i hope it fits your game well and you find allot of fairways

yeah when its all said it done, I will probabl regret not taking you up on your offer!

R11 T3

I played some golf this weekend and used the T3 from the tee box a few times. I was hitting some great shots that were going fairly high and straight or with a very small draw. If I need to find the fairway I know I can pull the T3 out and swing away. I still need to work on my fairway wood shots from the turf. I either hit it really well or chunk it pretty bad. I hit the T3 pretty good on the range from the grass, but something just isn't always clicking on the course. I think I may be over swinging and will work on it some more this week.

I had my wife with me and she took a video of my tee shot on the par 4 17th. I love the sound the T3 makes on a well struck shot.

yeah when its all said it done, I will probabl regret not taking you up on your offer!

His may end up back on the market again if I don't like it by the end of the week. :)

gotta love the automatic club

I hope you find your driver soon. I am sure you will find something that works for you with so many great choices out there, but make sure you try different settings for the R11, it does make a huge difference.

R11 T3

I played some golf this weekend and used the T3 from the tee box a few times. I was hitting some great shots that were going fairly high and straight or with a very small draw. If I need to find the fairway I know I can pull the T3 out and swing away. I still need to work on my fairway wood shots from the turf. I either hit it really well or chunk it pretty bad. I hit the T3 pretty good on the range from the grass, but something just isn't always clicking on the course. I think I may be over swinging and will work on it some more this week.

I had my wife with me and she took a video of my tee shot on the par 4 17th. I love the sound the T3 makes on a well struck shot.

Sounds like a cannon! I like it!!

His may end up back on the market again if I don't like it by the end of the week. :)

see mike if it doesnt work out for him youll have another chance lol

The R11 7 - wood was put back to work yesterday with mixed results. I hit some awesome shots with the setting at ASP open and the FCT set at neutral. Anytime I use it on the course with the ASP closed and the FCT on the higher setting more hooks come into play. If you tend to fade or slice the ball too much, this setting should work well for your game. My misses with the fairway woods are usually topped shots as I tend to try and sweep the fairways and pull out of the shot too much. When I hit down and through it, the R11 7 - wood is a hot little club and one that I believe many senior golfers would enjoy in their bag. I have said many times my cup of tea is in the hybrids however the R11 is one sweet workable FW!

Glad to hear it. I've been real happy with mine as well. Would love to hear how the progression works out for you as play with it more.

Back