Disabled British Open 2011

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
Not Tour golf as such I guess, but I had to mention. Just watched the highlights of this year's tournament from East Sussex National course.

Some of these guys are absolutely inspiring. There's a 19 year old boy who went round in 77, 78. Not bad you think, I could maybe do that. Could you do it with NO HANDS?? Mnd blowing! The winner of the tournament was just under par, but there were plenty of winners before they even stepped on the course. Guys with multiple prosthetic limbs bombing drives out there, really amazing stuff.

I'll definitely think twice the next time I try to vent my frustration by blaming anything but my technique for a bad shot!

Anyone got any experience with disabled golf?

I can tell you that this stuff truly moves me. THP donates equipment every year to causes such as this and its something we strongly believe in.

It truly is an amazing thing. Glad to see people getting out and enjoying the game they love.

thats amazing and inspiring to say the least

Our club hosts a Blind Golfers day each year. Some of those guys n gals are stunning players.

Watched some on the putting green this year. One guy never missed from inside 6 foot. OK, they have someone helping with lining up, but he must have had a rock solid technique to keep banging them in, and total trust in his guide.

A month ago I got to a course at about 6 am and there was one other truck beside me. We got out and were bs'ing while we got our stuff together. I looked over after a few minutes and noticed he only had one arm.

I ran into the shop and came out in time to see him tee off with a prosthetic and let's just say he hit a much better first ball than I did.

I will admit that I do not have much exposure to this but after doing a search on YouTube and seeing some action from the tourney that Paulo mentions here I would love to do some volunteer work for any local club that is hosting or supporting golfers and events like this.

Thanks for sharing Paulo.

Back