Trying to break 70 club?

Well, this season should offer my best chance. After retiring from my job, I'm giving myself a year off before I start working again. So, it's full-steam ahead with improving my game. Plan to play as much I can (afford, that is :wink: ).

A few years ago, when I played to about a 4 HC, I shot two rounds of 1 over par. A few more at +2. I was hitting on all cylinders when the weather turned and the golf season was essentially over. I only played sparingly over the past two seasons, too much overtime at work.

Breaking 70 isn't really a goal, per se. My only true goal is get my swing as efficient as I can, work really hard on chipping and putting, and employ solid strategy during the round. I figure if I can take care of all that, the scores will take care of themselves.

It is a goal of mine to shoot in the 60s this year. I did it 3 times last year after only doing it once before. I also played more golf last year than normal and hope to continue that trend as the long days of summer open up my schedule a ton.

Unfortunately, I'm coming off a 5-6 week break so I will be a few weeks/months to get my game together.

In the past, the main thing that has gotten me to shoot my best scores is decent driving and NO MENTAL mistakes. Just simple straight forward shots. Fairways and greens and making a few putts. Whenever I try to get too cute with shots is when I blow up.

Here's to the effort and good luck to all!

I think I may need to look at irons that are a little bit easier to hit. I will usually hit 9 or 10 fairways at least in an average round and when I do miss it is just off but given that fact my GIR on par 4s is way under 50% there is a lot of room for improvement there. I really like hitting these MP32s, great distance and I can hit just about any shot on a good day but they just might be holding me back. When I see pros switching to clubs with more forgiveness than these clubs have I have to wonder how smart it is for me to keep using them.

Saturday I played Pasatiempo, shot even par of 70. It is a tough course...I was hitting everything really well and felt like score should have been lower. Had 4 birdies and 4 bogeys.
Played my home course on Sunday and shot a 66! Second bogey free round I have ever posted.

Shot 69 today, -2. First sub-70 of the year.

Well done sevenfifty and Pete! Great shooting. :D

I'm hopeful of throwing a score in here in the next few weeks. My shoulder is still on the mend, but this will let me concentrate on my short game this week at least.

I felt like statistically, I'm almost there, except in one arena: putting. I'm hitting a high % of fairways and greens just not converting. I understand that proximity to the hole is important when it comes to looking at gir's and how that converts to scoring but I'm missing legitimate scoring opportunities. It's pretty frustrating but I'm also very realistic. It's just going to take a lot more hard work for me to break 70. It's there, it's just about putting all the facets together.

I felt like statistically, I'm almost there, except in one arena: putting. I'm hitting a high % of fairways and greens just not converting. I understand that proximity to the hole is important when it comes to looking at gir's and how that converts to scoring but I'm missing legitimate scoring opportunities. It's pretty frustrating but I'm also very realistic. It's just going to take a lot more hard work for me to break 70. It's there, it's just about putting all the facets together.

You will get there buddy! I have no doubt and it will be in the near future. One of these days you will be out there and the putter will be hotter than a two dollar pistol. The hole will look like a trash can and you will reach your goal :thumb:

I also have no doubt you'll get there. You have the drive and talent to shoot sixties, and if I were a bettin' man I'd say you'll get there pre-Morgan Cup!

Tap before talk.

Putting has always been my trouble area as well. This season I have started rolling at least 100 putts a day. I am averaging about 4-5 less putts a round since starting this.

Only chance I see this happening is in a Captain's Choice tourney.... :D

I got close. As a 13 HI I never even thought I would do that. I shot a 34 on the front on Sunday. But on the back I looked up on three golf shots...such a dumb mistake...and ended up with a 41. Though I did make an eagle on the par five 14th, which took a bit of the sting out of it.

Putting has always been my trouble area as well. This season I have started rolling at least 100 putts a day. I am averaging about 4-5 less putts a round since starting this.

Excellent result! Putting practice is something everyone should spend more time at, and I'm guilty. Do you practice any particular drills or just hit putts from certain distances?

I made the mistake of practicing for a while on a fairly slow surface and it had a really negative impact on my stroke. I started hammering everything 6 feet past the hole on faster greens. Since I have gone back to practicing on the fastest green surface I could find my putting has improved dramatically.

Excellent result! Putting practice is something everyone should spend more time at, and I'm guilty. Do you practice any particular drills or just hit putts from certain distances?

I spend around 60% of my putting practice time working on 8-10 foot putts.

I also hope to join the club one day. My goal for this season is to say constantly in the 70s to give me a chance.

I'm accurate off the tee and can control distances fairly well, but the one thing and the most important thing that I couldn't get any better is putting. For the last two rounds I shot 79 and had 36 putts and probably at least 8 3 putts in those 36 holes. None of my birdie putts even came close to going in at all this year, it's either the speed or the line that's messed up... since I learned how to play 8 years ago, I haven't been able to nail down my putting...

It's frustrating to let all those chances get away and it just makes par saves even more challenging...

How many putts do you guys make on average? I'm really hoping to be able to get better at it, especially avoiding the dreadful 3-putt from a decent birdie chance.

This is definitely a goal for me this year. So far for high school golf, my last 3 tournament rounds I've had 4 birdies per round, I just need to eliminate those stupid holes. On monday I had 4 bogeys, 3 of which I missed a 2 foot putt for par, and also a double where I just got too aggressive off the tee and sprayed the ball. The course we play for districts this year is a short, but tough course, a real shot makers course. But I feel like I can break 70 fairly easy out there, and I see it multiple times before districts.

Oh and my low roud is even par, 72, multiple times.

On those short putts give yourself a chance to make sure of it, step back once if you have to. Don't do a Furyk but take your time. Knock it into the back of the hole.

Crap...I had the elusive 70 broken last Saturday.....until the 17th. Two under going into 17 (with 2 three putts already). Driver right down the middle and, from out of nowhere, shank a wedge out of bounds. Make double and proceed to bogey 18.

Dang.....73, one over. Not bad for so early in the year.

Feel like I might be breaking 70 multiple time this year.

Crap...I had the elusive 70 broken last Saturday.....until the 17th. Two under going into 17 (with 2 three putts already). Driver right down the middle and, from out of nowhere, shank a wedge out of bounds. Make double and proceed to bogey 18.

Dang.....73, one over. Not bad for so early in the year.

Feel like I might be breaking 70 multiple time this year.

That new bag will help - at least it will look good.

** cut **

How many putts do you guys make on average? I'm really hoping to be able to get better at it, especially avoiding the dreadful 3-putt from a decent birdie chance.

I average right at 32 putts, on my good days 27-28 and my bad days are - well let's just say they are way to the wrong side of 36. If I could get my putting average down by three or 4 I would be a lot closer to 0 and on a good day who knows, a few birdie putts fall or maybe an eagle putt and I am there.

I've been knocking on that door for a while. Short game, Up/down and sand saves have been huge to shave off those last couple of strokes.

I'm going to join this club as I just broke 80 for the first time this season (shot a few rounds last year in the 70's as well). Shot a 76 yesterday and should have shot much lower. Was E through 15 and then my game crumbled a little bit. I know I can shave those extra shots off by working on my scrambling. I was 1/7 yesterday and it killed me. My goal is to stay in the 70's consistently and break par this summer. I'm hopeful I'll have one lights out day where everything clicks and I'll shoot a 69 or something. I know were I need to work and thats from 75 yards and in. My chipping around the greens has been attrocious but with time and practice I know I can get a round in the 60's! Good luck to everyone else shooting for this goal!

Back