SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Holy carp guys. Really good feedback. I'm extremely interested in how they're fitting in with the more GI type of irons. Wedge game has been a void in my game recently and sometime down the road these may get a workout.

Thanks for all the pics, vids and writeups.

Yoccos, after very little time with them I really do feel like they are very forgiving. I think anyone could game these.

I have read a bunch but have done some skimming to, is there any place to demo a wedge? If not thats cool, it seems these cats have there S together.

Awesome work again today testers. The forgiveness of these wedges somewhat surprises me, and the Vsole technology still continues to make me wish they had these in LH! Keep up the good work

Some more really great stuff. After I was sitting there shanking shot after shot with my wedges, my first thought was "I need the SCOR wedges!" With that in mind, do any of you suffer from the shank with your wedges (it is the only club I shank, it come once in every 4 range sessions and just sticks around as long as I am hitting my wedges) and if so are you experiencing that with these clubs?

So...this is why they are called SCOR golf, huh? Wow...shock...amazing...impressed. Not sure how else I can lead into this.

Note: I am not an official tester of these, I just ordered the 52 & 57 and received them about the same time as the testers.

First impression

These do not feel like wedges in my hands. I was previously using the Nike VR Pro in 52 & 56 and I considered them very similar in style to most other OEM's (Cleveland, Titleist, Mizuno, etc - for reference purposes in this write up I will refer to these as "standard" wedges). These actually look and feel like an extension of a standard set of irons. It is difficult for me to believe that they are the same loft when looking down at them, hard to pin point...perhaps it is a slightly smaller club head or and way the sole rests on the ground.

About me

Typically, once I get within 110 yards I struggle badly. If I try and choke down on a PW and 1/2 or 3/4 swing, etc I struggle with distance control and do not get the ball flight I want or need. If I try and hit a "standard wedge" I either hit it well 20% of the time, hit it extremely fat..as in 20 yards 70% of the time, or blade it and go WAY too far 10% of the time. Not sure what it is about me and standard wedges but they don't work. Needless to say, when I read about the forum testing I was immensely intrigued by the V-sole technology and if it would help me. After another crappy day at the course where on average I lose 8-10 shots a round within 110 yards I decided that I could not wait anymore.

To today

Started with the 52 and was hitting everything about 70 yards and just towering shots - absolutely perfect for approaching into greens. I was a little disappointed at first in the distance but have to remember that these are very poor range balls also. moved to the 57 and was doing the exact same thing but at about 55 yards. Still have a lot to learn about my distance control with these but out of about 30 shots, I hit one fat with the 52 and it still flew about 50 yards. At this point on the range I am just smiling ear to ear knowing how much this will help me on the course. First real test comes Saturday when I will no longer be afraid to get in that yardage zone that I so often fear. Even if I don't have yardages down yet, I feel that I can hit a solid shot with confidence and get near where I want to be.

Also did some video out of a bunker and will share that in the morning...learning phase there as these were just slinging balls out of the bunker but I see a ton of sand saves in my future when presented with the opportunity.

If you are on the edge of buying some of these and have similar issues as I described above with the chunks, I urge you to wait no longer. Something about these just work....plain and simple.

Box just came in.

Going home for some pictures baby!

So...this is why they are called SCOR golf, huh? Wow...shock...amazing...impressed. Not sure how else I can lead into this.

Note: I am not an official tester of these, I just ordered the 52 & 57 and received them about the same time as the testers.

First impression

These do not feel like wedges in my hands. I was previously using the Nike VR Pro in 52 & 56 and I considered them very similar in style to most other OEM's (Cleveland, Titleist, Mizuno, etc - for reference purposes in this write up I will refer to these as "standard" wedges). These actually look and feel like an extension of a standard set of irons. It is difficult for me to believe that they are the same loft when looking down at them, hard to pin point...perhaps it is a slightly smaller club head or and way the sole rests on the ground.

About me

Typically, once I get within 110 yards I struggle badly. If I try and choke down on a PW and 1/2 or 3/4 swing, etc I struggle with distance control and do not get the ball flight I want or need. If I try and hit a "standard wedge" I either hit it well 20% of the time, hit it extremely fat..as in 20 yards 70% of the time, or blade it and go WAY too far 10% of the time. Not sure what it is about me and standard wedges but they don't work. Needless to say, when I read about the forum testing I was immensely intrigued by the V-sole technology and if it would help me. After another crappy day at the course where on average I lose 8-10 shots a round within 110 yards I decided that I could not wait anymore.

To today

Started with the 52 and was hitting everything about 70 yards and just towering shots - absolutely perfect for approaching into greens. I was a little disappointed at first in the distance but have to remember that these are very poor range balls also. moved to the 57 and was doing the exact same thing but at about 55 yards. Still have a lot to learn about my distance control with these but out of about 30 shots, I hit one fat with the 52 and it still flew about 50 yards. At this point on the range I am just smiling ear to ear knowing how much this will help me on the course. First real test comes Saturday when I will no longer be afraid to get in that yardage zone that I so often fear. Even if I don't have yardages down yet, I feel that I can hit a solid shot with confidence and get near where I want to be.

Also did some video out of a bunker and will share that in the morning...learning phase there as these were just slinging balls out of the bunker but I see a ton of sand saves in my future when presented with the opportunity.

If you are on the edge of buying some of these and have similar issues as I described above with the chunks, I urge you to wait no longer. Something about these just work....plain and simple.

Nice write up Cooky, I need to hit these, the V-Sole just sounds so cool

Yet again I struggled with my high bounce wedges on the hard burnt out fairways. These awesome reviews have me thinking these would be worth it for me

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Yet again I struggled with my high bounce wedges on the hard burnt out fairways. These awesome reviews have me thinking these would be worth it for me

Today for me was off decent range grass but I will have some tight deadpan type of lies on Saturday morning that I will report back on.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Today for me was off decent range grass but I will have some tight deadpan type of lies on Saturday morning that I will report back on.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great. If they perform well I just might!

Holy carp guys. Really good feedback. I'm extremely interested in how they're fitting in with the more GI type of irons. Wedge game has been a void in my game recently and sometime down the road these may get a workout.

Thanks for all the pics, vids and writeups.

I would consider the Burner 2.0 irons a GI iron. I definitely believe they fit in with my set. The B2.0 PW is 45*, The SCOR club I received to replace it is 45* as well. I was worried about the forgiveness in the SCOR iron until I hit back to back shots with each that went identical distances with very similar face contact. For me at least the 45 is a drop in replacement for my PW. The gaps working down for me are a bit wonky, but that has more to do with my ball striking than the club I think. I worked on learning my distances and gaps last night.

45 = 111 yards
50 = 89 yards = 22 yard gap
55 = 80 yards = 9 yard gap
60 = 50 yards = 30 yard gap

Looking at my notes the majority of strikes were towards the toe of the club, so I know that is not helping, but the 45-50 & 55-60 gaps are larger than I would have hoped for. I left the irons with the PGA Pro at the range to have the lie angle adjusted some, and I'm hoping to see an improvement in contact. I plan to work hard on my ball striking to narrow the gaps as much as possible and to confirm what I saw last night <hoping I was just off or something>. I don't use the 60* for full swings often/ever so I think my lack of confidence showed.

Hopefully I can put in a quicky range session tonight, but I am off from work Friday. I plan to spend the day swinging the sticks

Great stuff in here from the reviewers so far.

question for ya griff - do you find the difficulty with the 60° wedges (in particular the SCOR) to be something about the club in general?

No. I have always struggled to keep consistent distances with 60 wedges. Either 10 yards too long or 10 yards too short it seems. My distances at the range were 50-70 yards, terrible consistency if you ask me. Will try yet again with the SCORs and see if they have done something to improve, for me, over every other 60 I have hit. It's totally my swing I'm sure. A 60 degree wedge is a 1 shot per round club for me, only used if I have no choice. I gave up carrying them, but as part of the testing I will carry it and report my findings.

This is the only fault of the SCOR system I have found. The somewhat generic online fitting system is, well, generic. If you are considering these, I recommend picking up the phone and calling SCOR. These come in every loft 41 to 61, no reason not to customize to your preferences.

edit - I hope I don't come off as being negative, not trying to be negative. the SCOR 60 may be a perfect fit after I get used to it, just my initial thoughts is all. Maybe different gaps can be recommended with more personal contact if your experiences in golf have led you to the conclusion that you need a chunky iron in the 41-45 range or struggle with consistency in the very high lofted clubs.

Last edited:
Test Date: 09/14/2011
Testing Club: SCORGolf 45, 50, 55, 60 Deg – Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120) – Stiff Steel
My Club: TaylorMade R11 PW (45) and AW (50) - Shaft: KBS Tour 90 – Stiff Steel and TaylorMade xFT 54 and 58 deg – Shaft: KBS Hi-Rev – Wedge Flex Steel
Ball Used: Range Balls (Rocks)
Environment: Nice artificial mat

Knowing that the weekend doesn't hold too much hope for golf or range time, I put the kids in bed and headed back out to the range this evening for a bit more familiarization with the SCOR Wedges. The range has like one nice mat that they are demoing, so I stayed on that this evening as the main range is in bad shape but was packed anyway.

45 and 50 deg SCOR Wedges

Again to get a feel of distances, I started by hitting the R11 9-iron and PW so that I could see approximately where the balls were landing for distance from the angle of the day. Then, hit the 45 deg SCOR Wedge. After those, I again hit the R11 AW and the 50 deg SCOR Wedge a couple times each.

Looks – I still need to get the clubs inside for a couple of pics to show what I'm seeing, but you could see a nice comparison in Mdbuschsr's picture from earlier of the 45 deg SCOR next to the Burner 2.0 PW. When transitioning from a GI set to the SCOR wedges, there is a noticeable size difference with the 45 vs the GI PW. The 50 deg SCOR is much more in line size-wise with a GI iron...so I believe it would only be obvious in the 41-46 deg SCORs that they consider Short Irons (I'm not sure about the 47-49 deg which they consider PW since mine are 45 and 50). I'm going to quit dwelling on this in the reviews because I'm hitting the 45 just fine, but in transitioning between R11s or Burner 2.0s to these...you will notice a difference in that low lofted range.

Flight/Distance/Feel/Sound – I again saw almost identical distance between the two SCOR Wedges and their R11 counterparts. With the lofts being identical as well as the results I've seen previously, I feel real good about playing these at the same 115 yard (45 deg) and 100-105 yard (50 deg) distances I had been playing the R11s. I took a couple of shots with choking down and/or opening the clubface to get to in between distance, and even though I need a lot more practice to fill out my bag tag, I could certainly get an early feel for hitting several different "full-swing" differences based on grip position and face angle. Both sets of clubs produce a nice high ball flight for me, which is what I want on full shots. I also took several 3/4 swings to keep the ball down and could do that to. My early takeaway from these sessions is that if I can imagine a shot, these clubs give me the tools to pull it off one way or another. With these being more like player's irons, my other early takeaway is that there is more forgiveness that I expected. I have been hitting balls all over the club face, and the pro-tracer would look the same regardless. If anything, the overall dispersion of the shots from the SCORs seem even tighter than the R11s in the short iron range. I attribute a lot of that to the V-Sole. That sole will get you to the ball almost regardless of where you hit the ground. Compared to the R11's I think I would say that the SCOR Wedges feel a bit softer, but have a similar pleasing sound. I have absolutely nothing to complain about on either of those fronts with these.

55 and 60 deg SCOR Wedges

I conserved my range rocks a bit better so that I could spend equal time with the 55 and 60 deg SCOR Wedges tonight. I'd like to tell you that I had a well-documented comparison between these and the xFTs, but I am enjoying hitting the SCORs enough that the xFTs just sadly sit in the bag and weep quietly.

Looks – The 55 and 60 deg SCOR look to be a very similar size to the xFTs, and the difference in size between these two and the 50 deg also seems negligible. Therefore, the transition from club to club seems very easy visually. As someone who doesn't love traditional blade-like wedges, I love that the SCOR wedges have a thicker topline and look a lot more like my R11s than the xFTs do. In a lot of ways, I feel like these are that perfect middle ground between getting wedges that match your GI iron set and getting traditional wedges.

Flight/Distance/Feel/Sound – I again saw distances that were right in line with expectations out of the 55 and 60 deg SCOR Wedges. I have always had issues hitting 60 deg wedges that go 130 yards and never get 12 inches off the ground. Hitting off of the mats can make that even worse given that if you hit mat first, the club just bounces right back up into the ball. I was taking full swings with both clubs and never bladed either one once that I can remember. To tempt fate further, I opened the clubface of each one and started hitting full swing flop shots. That V-Sole just said "Yep, I can do that too!!" It was awesome, I felt like Phil off the artificial turf. I got done playing around with those and grabbed the xFT out, hit a couple balls, and pulled the SCORs back out. A lot of fun.

Conclusion

After three range sessions, I simply love hitting these clubs. I'm not a range rat at all, but I keep looking for ways to get back out there this week. I can't wait for the first opportunity to get these out to a course, but I'm not sure exactly when that will be. With as great as TaylorMade was to me for the Morgan Cup I hate to keep saying that the SCORs are besting them in the scoring clubs, but if each pair of corresponding loft clubs were playing match play, SCOR would be up 3 1/2 to 1/2 (PW is even due to the size versus performance comparison).

I'm not sure I will get back out until early next week, but I will certainly post some more info as soon as I do.

Sweet right up Ad. I agree and have stopped worrying about the 45 not fitting in with my Redlines. My own evidence backed up by yours is only adding to the demise of my iron set 45 PW.

Good evening all,

Near the end of the day I had a nice package arrive from SCOR golf which I quickly bundled up and took home.
Image00005.jpg

Now I know in certain review or unboxing threads there's been some confusion about how to open the box and what their merits are. We've seen keys, knives and even a saw. Sadly since I don't have one a saw was out of the question. Also ruled out was a knife in the shape of a hocket stick on the basis that I couldn't find one. Thus we have our standard weapons:
Image00007-1.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Unfortunately neither could pierce the veil of tape keeping our intrepid hero, or me, from getting his prize.

Image00008.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Neither magical door openers nor german forged buttery goodness could force their way forward. It appears out hero is stumped unless he can get someone else to do the work for him...
Enter stage right:
Image00011.jpg

and well, I'd show you what he did to the box but it's simply too graphic. It makes the Hawk hunting sheep video look mundane. Seen one hawk eating the intestines of a sheep you've seen them all eh.

Anyways results was:
Image00012.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Look at that 51 getting all uppity and blocking out the 55 right from the word go. I bet it's going to be a diva of a club.

Stats:
Image00018.jpg

So as you can see, SCOR sent me a 5 wedge setup which is frankly just awesome since it's what I would opt to try on my own and potentially looks to be better blend with my irons (Nike VR Pro Combo's). The 43 and 47 would replace my 9 iron and PW respectively with the 51 as gap, 55 as sand and 59 as lob if we're classifiying the degrees. Personally, I'm all about the loft to the situation and have never bought into the theory that a sand wedge needs way more bounce then others or a lob wedge less. In general I prefer a consistent bounce across the set, something that attracted me to Scratch wedges in the first place, and something that SCOR adhears to as well.

Speaking of my current irons and wedges I'd like to throw these up for comparison's sake:
Image00015.jpg

Image00016.jpg

In both pictures it's Nike, Scratch, SCOR from left to right. What jumps out to me right away is how much smaller the Nike is to both the Scratch and the SCOR and how many more grooves it has. It's going to be interesting to see if the grooves from club to club make a difference in the distance, spin rate and performance from the rough.

The two other things I want to touch on and reallyy give some perspective to as my testing goes on is the grip and the shaft. Neither of these are taken seriously enough by the average golfer in my opinion. The club head could be the best in the world but it doesn't make a lick of difference if the head isn't delievered to the ball properly. Now my current wedges have KBS shafts in the already and I've played two iron sets with KBS as well so I'm pretty accustomed to the general feel of them. I will be trying to see if there's differences in this shaft vs the Hi rev as I know that's a wedge shaft that many like.
Now don't forget about the grip:
Image00013.jpg

I think this is a really neat grip as a first impression. It appeals to those who are a fan of multicompounds regardless of the brand, which is a signifigant amount of golfers. More importantly though is that there is clearly outline finger markers. If you're of the Pelz school of shot making, no longer do you have to guess the amount to choke down to get to half length or what a 3/4 grip with a half shot is like. The positions are clearly outlined for you taking the guessing away. If it works like I hope these will truely be great scoring clubs. You want a 55 yard shot? Take your 59, grip down an inch and hit a waste high half shot. BAM 55 yards, again and again and again. You might say that I have a dream...
In this, I sort of compare the grips to the RST system by Seemore. With the putter they make sure you have proper positioning while the grip gets you locked into your distance yardage. Both require you to aim and the power level but unless the club swings it's self nothings going to do that for you anyways.

I would like to say thank you to SCOR4161 and THP for this excellent experience. I'm really looking forward to putting these through their paces both from the perspective of a wedge, as an iron and what the name "scoring club" really means. As always, please don't hesitate to ask any questions through the thread or send me a PM if that's easier. Like the rest of our testers, I'm here to help.

I'd also like to thank my fantastic box opener who appears to have claimed the divot tool (for now) as his reward.
Image00019.jpg

Tomorrow my beauties you will see some quality range time. Sleep tight until then and dream of greens and chip ins.

I'm sure the good folks at Henkels will be pleased with your photo of the German buttery goodness.

Great write up....Looking forward to more buttery goodness.

Woohoo Super Tuna! Great post! Can't wait to hear how they work for you.

ST is in the house! Great stuff man. Man I am so surprised at the pics of the Nike/Scratch/Scor.

AD another great writeup!

Will have some good stuff tomorrow long as the weather permits.

Any special requests or not so special requests post em up. Flops? Knockdowns, I can always try again! Anything and I guarantee we will deliver.

Nice work Super Tuna, really good review. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ST - outstanding work man! Really looking forward to following your thoughts on these. It is obvious that you have a tremendous amount of knowledge about equipment and how it should work. This is gonna be fun!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great unboxing ST! I'm as surprised as CL on the differences between the Nike and the SCOR wedges. Will be great to see how they stack up against them in all categories.

Guys, I'm going to take some time to catch up on what I've missed in this thread, cos there is just so much good info and detail going on that it would be a shame to skim over any of it. You guys are doing an awesome job so far.

Just took the past hour to catch up from the last 3 days, you guys are bringing it. Great post, pics and write ups. Glad to see SuperT finally able to get into the mix. Keep up the good work guys.

Back