Your best chip? a putt

I chipped in for a birdie from the fringe last week. I think it depends on the situation more than anything. Putting from 20 yards out? Not going to happen.

I couldn't agree more -- saw him give that tip to Rush Limbaugh last year on his show -- and I will be that I save 1-2 strokes per round average....

I was the guy who putted from 20 yards. Now I chip but will still putt if I am within 4 feet. Really just depends on how I am playing that day

Nicklaus and Arnie say the same thing. I think I'll go with them.

As a matter of fact, Nicklaus was on Champions Tour Learning Center less than an hour ago telling the story of how Palmer convinced him to get rid of a chipping club in favor of the putter when he first came on tour.

But of course you have to use common sense. You can't putt through long rough, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I putt a lot from distance in the fairway and the fringe, BUT I only do it if the ball is sitting in grass that covers a 1/3 of it or less.

On page 26 of the October 2011 GolfDigest, Hank Haney recommends that mid handicappers should putt from the fringe or within 20 yards of the green. He says your worst putt is better than your worst chip.

what do you all think?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 10.1" using Tapatalk

I saw this as well and actually didn't believe it until I tested it. I put 10 balls 10 yards off the with the hole 10 yards on the green. I chipped 10 and then putted 10 averaged out all the balls and it was amazingly true. I was on average 6'2"with the putter and 10' 1" chipping. You might ask why I did this and it was because I help coach a high school team locally and we want to test it out to help the kids.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

from the fringe I putt a lot, but from 20 yards away I'm pulling a wedge or a hybrid. I don't think a putt would turn out so hot on the courses I play.

from the fringe I putt a lot, but from 20 yards away I'm pulling a wedge or a hybrid. I don't think a putt would turn out so hot on the courses I play.

It is entirely dependent on the course

I'm with most of you, from the fringe a putt works well but from 20 feet that seems a bit far.

I also like to play a bump and run with my 9 iron here and there. I will say I played a course recently that featured Kikuya grass and when I tried to play that bump and run shot the fringe grabbed and stopped the ball in about 2 feet. I learned later that the locals have taken to putting those shots as much as 30 feet off the green (especially with a tight front pin location)!!

As Ron said, it depends on the course!

If you can putt, putt. You have a lot more control when the ball is on the ground. Now if I have more than 10 or more feet of fringe to go through I chip. But I really do believe that if you are not confident in your chipping than putt every time.

Nice test Bgammill, I will try that next time at the club.

I honestly like chipping more than putting. I believe that my short game is one of my strongest points so it's hard for anybody to take a wedge out of my hand and give me a putter instead.

If you can putt, putt. You have a lot more control when the ball is on the ground. Now if I have more than 10 or more feet of fringe to go through I chip. But I really do believe that if you are not confident in your chipping than putt every time.

Nice test Bgammill, I will try that next time at the club.

And don't get me wrong it was from the fairway or a shot hit short. I don't think this counts for anything in the rough

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

A lot of good posts. Myself, I normally only put from the fringe. From the rough/fairway I normally either chip using my 8 iron or PW.

I putt from just off the green all the time, but if there is more than 10 feet of fairway between me and the green, then I'm chipping all day.

I honestly like chipping more than putting. I believe that my short game is one of my strongest points so it's hard for anybody to take a wedge out of my hand and give me a putter instead.

Putter isnt part of your short game?:alien:

I like chips.

Kevin

I've tried putting from short distances off the green, and it ends up throwing off my putting when i'm actually on the green. I also catch the putter on the grass alot, and that just makes it worst.
I much prefer a short wedge shot over a long putt off the green. A little bump and run with a bit of finesse works most times.

It's completely lie dependent at that. Most courses don't have perfectly manicured fairways and approach areas. Even hitting the cover off the ball with your putter in wet conditions isn't going to do much if the ground is soggy and soft, and the fairway/approach grass is long.

Back