I Wasn't Sure....

Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Until yesterday afternoon if my family and I would be able to make our planned trip to Myrtle Beach for my wife's birthday. I've been real ill and with me being the only driver I wasn't too sure if I could physically handled the drive. After running around all day which included a real decent range session I decided to make the drive.

We started out an hour later than expected but departed Niagara. We made decent time and I decided that I wanted to get off the road for the night by 10 or 11. I had promised my sister that I would. Well it was all that we could do to find a room. By the time it was decided that I would shut down we would be in West Virgina. Suffice to say... we struck out at 6 hotels. All of the others had jammed parking lots. Finally on a whim I decided to stop in Bluefield, WV and I said to my wife that if I couldn't get a room I'd pound it all the way through. We got the last room.

About 30 minutes ago it happened. I arrived in "Mecca". We are in Myrtle Beach. Hotel is phenomenal.. range is imminent and so is the deflation of my wallet courtesy of my wife. More to follow.

Alex

Have fun!

Keep us updated on your rounds. I love North Myrtle, we go down about 4 times a year.

Have a great time!

Hope you have a great time. Safe travels!

have a great time Alex

Hey Gang:

It was a great first night. We just hung around the hotel which is right at Broadway at the Beach. What a neat feel it has here. Our friends arrived as planned from Plant City, Florida. We ended up having dinner at Senor Frog's. Our first round sees us teeing off at Azalea Sands at 11:47. We aren't too sure where consequential rounds will take us.

My wife and I like it so much here that we are already planning on coming back down for her birthday next year. The place is a winner with us and our "kidlets".

Alex

Sounds like a lot of fun! I went to Myrtle for the first time last year in the spring, and it was great! I can't wait to visit again. A buddy of mine recommended a really nice, not obscenely expensive course in the area (can't remember what it's called), but they had GPS-navigated carts!!! I'f I remember I'll let you know...

I found the course! It's called Founders Club (part of the Classic Golf Group). The rates aren't too bad for such a nice course, $100 AM and $92 PM. It's not cheap, but it is one of the nicest courses in the area if you can afford it, I hear.

Hope you have a great time! I had a great time down there last year, so many nice courses,good food,and a beautiful beach. Hoping to go back this spring,have fun!

Hey Gang:

Played my first round of golf yesterday in Myrtle Beach. We ended up going with Azalea Sands. Overall the course wasn't too bad. The course is older (around 40) and the one thing that was nice was that there is no housing development around. It is a parkland style course and the bunkering is well thought out. They guard the greens quite nicely and the water can be described as opportunistic. Fairways are tightly lined with trees. One con... nowhere to hit balls prior to your round and I need about thirty-five balls to even come close to being ready for a round.

My stats at Azalea Sands...

Front Nine - 38
Back Nine - 38
Total - 76 +5

Fairways Hit - 10/14
GIR - 7/18
Total Putts - 29

I had real issues finding GIR. I was grinding and grinding all day. I hit a few blocks... and hit a few thin. Score felt worse than what it was. I didn't really get going with my iron striking until the 16th. Finally I corrected what I was doing wrong which was just from not practicing for a week. my spine angle was too upright.. range time prior would've provided better results.

Alex

Nice round, I have played that course and it can clean your clock if you start spraying the ball.

Well our trip came to an end last night when we arrived home. Our family had a great trip and the bonus of our friends being there made it extra special. I ran out of time and never got in another round or a practice session... so that was a bummer. We loved MB and it was so perfect this time of the year we've already booked our stay for next year last night. Next year we're staying for a week and I'm playing at least three rounds.

Next trip is January from the 24-30th but this time I'm going solo and I am planning to attend the PGA Show.

Alex

Back