Putters and Putter Weighting

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
<rant>I am not a tall guy. With shoes on, I stand just a bit above 5'8". The best putter for me is a 33 inch putter. The problem is that most companies design putters to be 35 inches long and construct the head to weigh 340g. When you start cutting down the length, this throws the swing weight off and the putter head is harder to control. I understand meeting demand because most people play with a 35 inch putter and the market for a 33 inch putter is significantly smaller. This is not to say that you can't get a 33 inch putter with the correct swing weight, but the options are very limited and are usually expensive. The only OTR putter I have encountered with uniform swing weights is the Scotty Cameron putters. Some will say to add lead tape, but, to me, this is not a viable option because it will mess up the looks of the putter. I have been searching for a new putter, but the only options I see are custom orders from boutique/fine milled putter companies. This is not a huge deal, but what if I like the insert from an Odyssey putter but they don't offer it in a weight that will work for a shorter putter? To me, there is a lot that Scotty Cameron gets wrong, but he really hit on something good when he put the weights in the bottom so that one head could be used for any length. I kind of sympathize with lefties now even though my troubles finding a putter are nothing compaired to their troubles finding clubs in general.</rant>

Sounds like you're leaning toward a custom putter. Wonder if they'll leave the paintfill blank for you?

I am wanting to try some different types of putters. I think my stroke is more SBST now and I want to try a face balanced putter. I don't want to spend $300 on a putter that I won't end up liking. I guess this is where a putter fitting would really come in handy.

How about using tip weights Seth? GolfSmith sells them in 5g, 7g and 10g.

I am wanting to try some different types of putters. I think my stroke is more SBST now and I want to try a face balanced putter. I don't want to spend $300 on a putter that I won't end up liking. I guess this is where a putter fitting would really come in handy.

Grab DMB and you two can go have a "bro day" trying out all sorts of putters. There is a custom putter maker just down the road from you.

Hi Setho. Have you looked at Odyssey for a solution? My white ice #9 is 355 grams and 33" length. I'm sure there are more choices in the odyssey lineup that maintain the weight ratio as the putter length decreases like the white ice dart for example.

The quote function is not working for me right now, so bear with me.

Bonk: I had not thought about that. I may have to give that a try.

SW: There is a putter maker near me? Who is it? I feel like I should know this.

JohnBoy: Huh, I looked through Odyssey's putters and didn't realize this. I will have to go look again. This may very well be a solution for me.

The quote function is not working for me right now, so bear with me.

Bonk: I had not thought about that. I may have to give that a try.

SW: There is a putter maker near me? Who is it? I feel like I should know this.

JohnBoy: Huh, I looked through Odyssey's putters and didn't realize this. I will have to go look again. This may very well be a solution for me.

http://www.neadcustomputters.com/ Just a very short drive through the country and right next to traditions golf club. http://www.thetraditiongolfclub.com/layout9.asp?id=16&page=371

I was talking to T.P. Mills about their putters and Victory Custom Golf is suppose to do great putter fitting.

The White Ice #9 is a great putter, I play it at 33" (though I cut it down from 34") and I think the weight and feel are perfect. Not everyone likes that style though...

<rant>I am not a tall guy. With shoes on, I stand just a bit above 5'8". The best putter for me is a 33 inch putter. The problem is that most companies design putters to be 35 inches long and construct the head to weigh 340g. When you start cutting down the length, this throws the swing weight off and the putter head is harder to control. I understand meeting demand because most people play with a 35 inch putter and the market for a 33 inch putter is significantly smaller. This is not to say that you can't get a 33 inch putter with the correct swing weight, but the options are very limited and are usually expensive. The only OTR putter I have encountered with uniform swing weights is the Scotty Cameron putters. Some will say to add lead tape, but, to me, this is not a viable option because it will mess up the looks of the putter. I have been searching for a new putter, but the only options I see are custom orders from boutique/fine milled putter companies. This is not a huge deal, but what if I like the insert from an Odyssey putter but they don't offer it in a weight that will work for a shorter putter? To me, there is a lot that Scotty Cameron gets wrong, but he really hit on something good when he put the weights in the bottom so that one head could be used for any length. I kind of sympathize with lefties now even though my troubles finding a putter are nothing compaired to their troubles finding clubs in general.</rant>

When you cut down a heavier putter, you can always use a counter weight under the grip to bring the swingweight back to standard. The only time you would need to add weight to the head, is if you are making the putter longer.

Each inch of shaft trimmed off the butt only weighs 6 to 10 grams. Most people will never notice the difference. Some OEM's make slight adjustments to headweight for the various shafts lengths.

Huh, I looked through Odyssey's putters and didn't realize this. I will have to go look again. This may very well be a solution for me.

Yes, sir. I had a White Hot Tour #9 that was 355g at 34", bought it at Rockbottomgolf for only $60 if memory serves (just checked, they don't carry it anymore). GREAT putter, I only parted with it at the time because I like my Black Series Tour Designs #9 slighter more which was 350g, fwiw.

I also love the interchangeable weights on my Rife Two-Bar Hybrid Tour Mallet. I go with the heavier weights at times on slow greens, the lighter on fast greens. I don't often make the switch but I love having the option.

Back