Selling Clubs on Craigslist, am I being scammed?

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Got this email today in response to my ad. Im immediately skeptical, especially since they offered to send a check for the items up front and take care of shipping cost. I told him I would have to wait until the check cleared before I released the clubs to ship and he said no worries. Smells fishy...thoughts

heres the few emails Ive gotten

Hello
I really appreciate your response to my email and i want you to
consider it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
disturbances,anyway i should have come down to come and look at it but
I don't have time to come over to take a look due to my Business
transactions that makes me busy but you don't need to bother yourself
with that and also the shipment I'll take care of that by engaging the
services of a mover, so I'll be sending a certified bank check and it
will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need
you to provide me with me with more pictures and the following
information to facilitate the mailing of the check ......

1.....Full name to write on the check
2.....Full Physical address to post the check
3.....City, State and Zip Code
4.... Home & Cell Phone to contact you

*** Note that you will get back to me today with your contact
information the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT
DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you
have cashed the check** Thanks

--So when I get this, I tell him I think this is a scam, and he says no, hes lives in NY and doesnt have time to look at the clubs in person. So I respond with my address and no other info, and heres his reply:

More about Pick up of the Item..
I will be mailing the check out to you via Ups and i will give you
extra $50 to hold the item for me till my check arrives within a
week..I have some Laptops and Electric Dryer that i also purchase at
your location.I will assign with a shipping agent who will come there
and pick up the item for me at your door step. hope the item is in a
great condition..
Thanks
Awaits your response

Heres pretty much where I stopped replying. Ive sold on cragslist before, very rarely get waht im asking for price wise, and now someone wants to pay an extra $50 for the clubs, and just so happens hes buying laptops and a dryer in this area at the same time.

Seems like a total scam, anyone else run into this before. Trying to figure out the way the scam works, im guessing the check is a bad check, or from a stolen account?

Stay away dude! This is a scam. Don't give them any info...

Man I wish I had any idea what is going on here but I agree there must be some kind of scam. I would stay away from dealing with this guy, but it sounds like you are already not going to be dealing with him.

Yeah, stay away from these kinds of responses.

I have gotten many that said almost the same thing . . . on a $10 end table even!

I've gotten similar emails from listings I've put up. Have always seemed suspicious to me as well and never went for it, would never give out my personal information.

For craigslist, I do cash only and meet in a public place away from my house.

yeah, just the way the email as worded seemed funny, let alone everything else about it. Should have known I wasnt lucky enought o sell my irons on there in less than 24 hours lol

total scam....not to be confused with a skim

Let me guess...he cant come pick them up in person because he is on Business in Nigeria?

For sure it sounds like a scam, but what is the scam exactly? I mean a certified check once its a done deal you have your money right? I 100% you should not do it but I am just curious, so if someone knows how this scam works, please explain.

Definate scam. I would only do in person pick up on Craigslist.

Stupid craigslist. It's only good for meeting hawt single moms.

For sure it sounds like a scam, but what is the scam exactly? I mean a certified check once its a done deal you have your money right? I 100% you should not do it but I am just curious, so if someone knows how this scam works, please explain.

yeah im intrigued, my original guess was that he sends me a bad check or a closed/stolen account and has ups pick the clubs up before the check clears my bank, which normally takes a few days

That is a scam. I have seen that one before. I meet people away from my house if I can and only take cash. That is the best way to CL.

This seems totally legit.

/sarcasm

You should sell your current set as well, couldn't hurt your chances when you play against me at the outing. :D

yeah I already told him no thanks, that Im sure there is someone he can meet locally in NY that has golf clubz that he can buy

This seems totally legit.

/sarcasm

You should sell your current set as well, couldn't hurt your chances when you play against me at the outing. :D

3W, 7I, wedge and putter is all I need for you Jeffy

Mikdean, tell him to send cash through Western Union, it's much faster that way! :D

That is a scam. I have seen that one before. I meet people away from my house if I can and only take cash. That is the best way to CL.
Had a buddy who was selling his truck on CL. Someone called and was asking all kinds of questions, how many miles, color, is the interior in good shape, is there an alarm installed. He gave him his address and the guy never showed to look at the truck. Next day he walked out to go to work, truck was gone.

Stay far away dude! I have had tons of those types of emails from craigslist

Stay far away dude! I have had tons of those types of emails from craigslist

should have known when the email went to my yahoo spam folder lol

Definitely Nigerian. Sounds and is worded exactly like the $10,ooo,000 usd dollars wait for you in my banque or please send now a soon as possible the amount directed by mail. They are hard to catch, but you could help by turning the matter over to the USPS or local law enforement details that deal with cyber crime.

worked for a Police Department for 7 years thats def a scam and youd be amazed how many people fall for it!

i only meet people in a public place and take cash for stuff i buy or sell on craigslist... i actually don't even like using it.

I quit selling on craigslist because for every 5 responses I got only one was legit the rest were all scammers like that with very similar emails

Back