arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
What happens when someone does all of the following:
*Repeatedly checks weather forecasts for a place where they don't live
*Also repeatedly looks at websites of golf courses
*Lays out multiple outfits to figure out what to wear while playing golf
*Goes through their golf bag multiple times to make sure that nothing is forgotten

Of course, all of us know what that means: someone is preparing to go on a golf trip! That will be me starting tomorrow. I'm thrilled to be headed back to the Carolinas, where I grew up. However, the best part about the trip is that I'm going to get to play 6 rounds of golf in 5 days with my dad. We've never had a trip where it's only been him and I going to play golf, so this will be a treat.

The weekend will be in Columbia, SC where I grew up. My dad is part of the Members Club at Wildewood and Woodcreek (http://wildewoodwoodcreek.com/). It's actually a pretty cool concept: 2 golf clubs weren't doing all that well on their own a few years ago, so they merged their membership and the members now have 2 courses to play, which are about a 5-minute drive away from one another. We'll be playing Wildewood on Saturday and Woodcreek on Sunday.

Monday morning, we'll wake up and drive to the Pinehurst area in North Carolina. We chose not to stay at the Pinehurst Resort because it was a little too expensive, and we got a good package rate via Tobacco Road Travel. Here is our itinerary:
Monday: Afternoon round at Dormie Club (http://dormieclub.net/)
Tuesday: Morning round at Mid Pines, followed by an afternoon round at Pine Needles (http://www.pineneedles-midpines.com/golf-courses/index.cfm)
Wednesday: Morning round at Tobacco Road (http://tobaccoroadgolf.com/) before I fly out from Charlotte that evening

I'll be putting up some pictures of each of the courses in this thread as the trip progresses. I also just bought a Flip camera, so hopefully I'll get some videos in here too, and also be able to contribute to the Hole of the Day thread.

That sounds amazing. Have a ton of fun for us!

Have you ever played Tobacco Road? Be prepared for a real challenge, and some serious target golf. You definitely have to think your way around the course or you will have a long day, but, it is a beautiful course, as ar Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Sounds like you will have a blast with your Dad. Enjoy it!

Have a great time on your trip ary! I think it sounds like a real treat. Tell your old man I said hello!

Got a buddy down there at USC. Says its beautiful down there right now hope you have a great trip!

Have fun! That sounds like a great trip.

Have you ever played Tobacco Road? Be prepared for a real challenge, and some serious target golf. You definitely have to think your way around the course or you will have a long day, but, it is a beautiful course, as ar Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Sounds like you will have a blast with your Dad. Enjoy it!

I have not played Tobacco Road, but have heard lots about it. Dormie Club and Tobacco Road are the 2 courses that I'm most excited about playing on this trip. I've already got Tobacco Road loaded into my GPS device, so hopefully that will make the target golf a little bit easier.

Have a great time on your trip ary! I think it sounds like a real treat. Tell your old man I said hello!

I will tell him that! He still talks about how much fun he had at the Morgan Cup meeting you and all of the other guys. Of course, he's a bit crazy...he told me that he just got a new driver (Burner Superfast 2.0) and now he thinks he can beat me! I wonder what's gotten into his head. :alien:

HAVE A GREAT TIME. That sounds awesome. Even better with the fact that I NOW HAVE 2 INCHES OF SNOW ON MY LAWN AND IT IS OCTOBER 27TH!!!

That is great ary, I know you are so looking forward to it being just you and your dad. As my grandmother used to like to say, "you are making memories." Enjoy buddy.

Sounds like a heck of a blast is about to be had! Enjoy the time with your dad Ary.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Sounds like a great trip.I have played Tobacco Road and it is awesome.

Have fun Ary! A father/son trip should be a blast! Say hello to your father for me

Sounds like an awesome trip. Enjoy!

Those sound like some great clubs, have a wonderful time. I hope to treat myself to Tobacco Road in the Spring.

That is a great itinerary Ary. You are going to love Tobacco Road. It was designed by the same guy that designed the MC 2.0 courses. It has some beautiful holes and great greens. I love that course.

I should come down. I would love to tee it up with your Dad again. You could play, too.

Kevin

Small world. I also grew up in Columbia, and my father was/is a member at Wildewood and Woodcreek.

If you haven't played those courses in a while, you will be surprised at how great their condition is. I played there with my dad over the summer a couple times, and the courses were in terrific shape. The new membership model has really improved the courses.

I'm jealous as can be. Enjoy the trip, Ary!

Ary, sounds like an awesome trip!! Have fun buddy!

Man this sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait to see your pics and videos, have fun!

Dad and I had a great time at Wildewood today. It's the club in the neighborhood where my parents live, got to love driving 5 minutes and being at a golf course!

The day started out overcast, but then the sun came out and the winds picked up. The greens were in GREAT shape, I just couldn't get used to how fast they were, I would estimate they were about 10-11 on the stimp, which is something that I'm not used to playing munis in and around Boston. I've put some pictures in the spoiler tag below, will be putting up a Hole of the Day video later!

Spoiler

View from the first tee. #1 is a par 5 that goes down towards a lake, then back uphill towards the green.

6292304509_6e6a54d26e_z.jpg

My shot off of the first tee, hit a hybrid to the bottom of the hill.

6292826416_2a1204c188_z.jpg

View from the bottom of the hill on #1 towards the green.

6292826742_92a21a0b0d_z.jpg

The par 3 3rd hole, about 140 yards.

6292827066_56db611488_z.jpg

View from the tee on #4, a par 4 that is a dogleg right around the bunker.

6292305729_3cff1c981c_z.jpg

Tee shot on the par 5 8th hole, it's easy to carry the bunker on the right but getting to the bunker on the left is a huge tee shot.

6292306185_4227f9b084_z.jpg

View from about 250 yards out on #8. It's so tempting to go for this green in 2, but I had to lay up as I didn't hit a good tee shot.

6292828424_975b4de8bb_z.jpg

This is the 10th hole, a shorter par 5. The trees on the right are jail. Of course, my tee ball ended up here.

6292828758_b0e27d8d76_z.jpg

Approach shot on the par 4 12th hole.

6292829064_920803b152_z.jpg

My dad lining up his tee shot on the par 5 15th hole, which goes sharply uphill for the last 250 yards.

6292829394_0471a029bd_z.jpg

The view downhill on #16, a 180 yard par 3.

6292308269_092ae8c0bd_z.jpg

View from the fairway at the top of the hill on the short par 4 17th. The 18th hole is background on the left, and the 1st hole is in the background on the right.

6292830116_c57d7f88c4_z.jpg

I just got in from our Sunday round at Woodcreek Country Club. You couldn't ask for a better day of golf, it was sunny and in the low 60s with barely any wind at all. I actually started with a birdie on #1 and was even-par through 7 holes, then had a blowup on #8 which led to me not playing so well for the rest of the day, I shot 87. Anyways, here are some pictures of the course. Off to North Carolina tomorrow!

Spoiler

View from the first tee. #1 is a 330 yard par 4. I hit a 5-iron off of this tee that came dangerously close to the water, but left myself less than 100 yards in. Lob wedge ended up 10 feet behind the hole, and I made the birdie putt! It's always fun to be -1 after 1 hole.

6296123036_14e79d5392_z.jpg

Standing on the third tee. #3 is a 417 yard par 4, you can get some added distance by going down the left side and catching the downslope.

6295562129_fd42c7c56e_z.jpg

#4 is a great risk-reward par 5, it's 509 yards from the tees that I played, but doesn't play as long because you can cut off distance on the second shot by going over the water. The first picture is the tee shot, and the second picture is the view from the fairway. I was in the right greenside bunker in 2, but didn't have a good angle to the pin from the trap, so just got it out of the bunker and 2-putted for my par.

6295562671_8bddb170fb_z.jpg

6295563121_e502923fa5_z.jpg

#7 is a 368 yard par 4 that plays significantly uphill. The first picture is the view off the tee with tons of bunkers down the right, and the second picture is a handsome gentleman pulling his tee shot way over to the left on the way to making bogey on this hole.

6296094076_993eeddb84_z.jpg

6296094630_62905e7e6e_z.jpg

View from the front of the tee box on #12, a 194 yard par 3. The lack of pictures between #7 and #12 coincide with the roughest part of my round, funny how that happens.

6295565799_cb3eaf5cb5_z.jpg

#15 is a short par 3 that plays entirely over water, it was playing 135 yards today. My tee shot ended up on the front edge of the green, then I rolled in a curling 50 footer for birdie!

6295566323_9d1c25412f_z.jpg

#16 is a 398 yard par 4 that you don't want to miss right off of the tee, and then is uphill from the approach shot towards the green. One of my father's friends is lining up his tee shot here.

6295566709_d4dff537b6_z.jpg

The result of my tee shot on #17, a 484 yard par 5. I cut the corner of the dogleg a slight bit and had 210 to the center of the green, which was another uphill approach. I hit a hybrid just short of the green, then hit a crappy chip shot and 3-putted for bogey. The theme of this trip so far is that my short game needs work.

6295567169_6642218636_z.jpg

Nice, buddy. Had Dad been outhitting you with the new driver?

Kevin

Great pics Ary; place looks very well maintained!

So, what exactly did you take on number 8?

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back