TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

Well, on Saturday OEM and I hit the local Golf Galaxy after our round got rained out. And low and behold, they had an R11 6 iron there for hitting. Strangely, they had one with a shaft +1/2 inch, so I just choked up a little to compensate.

Overall impressions of the look: The head looks better than I thought it would. I wasn't sure about the red in the pictures but it works in hand. I found the head size to be very similar to the R9s, and the KBS stock shaft is a nice offering.

I got a chance to take about 15 swings with the 6 iron in the simulator bay. Overall, pretty impressed with how the club performed. Plenty of forgiveness, and based on the simulator numbers, plenty of distance too. The sound of this club was fairly muted in comparison to my TM MCs, but not unpleasant. But I think the muted sound really affected how I percieved the feel of this club to be (more muted than the R9 or MCs I play today). But again, I was pounding them out there. On the last couple swings when I was warmed up, I really let loose and got a couple to carry about 220 yards. I know they must juice the simulator a little to sell clubs, but even if it was really about 200 yards in reality, that's pretty long for a 6 iron for me. I definitely want to give these a longer look down the road, they are worth a second look.

Hit the 6-iron last night at the local golf shop. I agree that the club looks much nicer in person than the pics. Felt like a nice iron and would say it probably falls between the Taylormade cb and the 2.0s in the forgiveness and distance categories as well as the profile when looking down at it at address. To me it had a very similar feeling to the R9s from last year from a feedback perspective.

I had the chance today to hit the R11 6 iron with the regular flex graphite shaft and just like when I hit it with the stiff graphite, was very impressed with the distance and has a nice feel. One of the assistant pros told me the R11's will have about the same distance per club as the 2.0's. The feel is good and solid and the club is very attractive. The ball flight is very good and even mishits don't wander too much offline. I am going to hit the stiff graphite again soon and will report my findings. I really think when the funds are better, may work toward these as opposed to the 2.0's I was also told the CB line will be discontinued as these clubs come out next month.

I am also not a big fan of huge shovel cavity backs. I find them kind of annoying to clean after a rainy golf day.

I had the chance today to hit the R11 6 iron with the regular flex graphite shaft and just like when I hit it with the stiff graphite, was very impressed with the distance and has a nice feel. One of the assistant pros told me the R11's will have about the same distance per club as the 2.0's. The feel is good and solid and the club is very attractive. The ball flight is very good and even mishits don't wander too much offline. I am going to hit the stiff graphite again soon and will report my findings. I really think when the funds are better, may work toward these as opposed to the 2.0's I was also told the CB line will be discontinued as these clubs come out next month.

Hope not, I have hit the CB's and like them but want to try out the R11's before I buy. I am going to hit the Callaway Razor X tomorrow as well to see how it compares to the CB.

I was also told the CB line will be discontinued as these clubs come out next month.

We addressed this with a direct response from TaylorMade in this thread already.

I am also not a big fan of huge shovel cavity backs. I find them kind of annoying to clean after a rainy golf day.

i think these are far from shovels from what i have seen, also the cavity backs are easy to clean, takes me about 45 seconds a club to get spotless.

That is just absolutely not true. I asked TaylorMade this very question this morning.

Bam! There you go, they are still making them. I love the CB's I have hit but want to try the R11's.

Is this going to be the official R11 review thread or will there be a separate thread?

I find myself constantly checking this thread for any updates?!

I am a very eager beaver to hear some reviews! Lol

Can't wait to hear what the Morgan Cup guys have to say about these after playing them for a weekend. These irons really intrigue me, thinking it may be time for new sticks for me.

I hit these this morning as Golftown has them out for sale already. They look much better in person. They feel really good, the sound I was hearing was Callawayish. I had some trouble hitting the 4i. The sixI tried worked our well for me. The PW was also nice. The long irons have a large cavity and this decreases in size down the set. I would say that they are CB sizish. They were just about right. I was hitting on a sim, and picked up minimal yardarge from my current set. Mishits did not rattle my hands as much as my TP's and there was still some distance. I tried the KBS stiff shafts, they were nice. I was going to try the graphite for giggles, those shafts sure look sharp on that head. I would love to try them on the range to get a better sense of ball flight and distance. Albeit, I am very happy with what I am currently hitting. Very nice irons, that surprised me in person. I thought they were rather ugly from pics. TM did a great job. I do get the sense that these may canabalize the CB's.

These irons are sick, the feel of a pured shot is just absolutely perfect, the sound is perfect, I was killing the r11's today- nice high and long ballflight; they put all their tech into these and it shows.

Fantastic iron.

These irons are sick, the feel of a pured shot is just absolutely perfect, the sound is perfect, I was killing the r11's today- nice high and long ballflight; they put all their tech into these and it shows.

Fantastic iron.

What shaft do you have in them Mr. shaft experimenter?

These irons remind me alot of the old R7 irons which i still play. The undercut cavity but with a red weight plug on it.

what are you hitting the ball with the back of the club?

these are definitely not shovels

i think these are far from shovels from what i have seen, also the cavity backs are easy to clean, takes me about 45 seconds a club to get spotless.

same here

Can't wait to hear what the Morgan Cup guys have to say about these after playing them for a weekend. These irons really intrigue me, thinking it may be time for new sticks for me.

We saw lots of good R11 iron shots this weekend. I was pretty impressed with what I saw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Got a chance to hit these a little when I snuck one away from the actual players at the MC and I love what I saw. My iron game is jacked right now, but I was still hitting the ball straight when I was not fatting it. I think these are going in the bag very soon.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

Got a chance to hit these a little when I snuck one away from the actual players at the MC and I love what I saw. My iron game is jacked right now, but I was still hitting the ball straight when I was not fatting it. I think these are going in the bag very soon.

---
- Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

I've hit so many irons this year... And these blow them away!

Burner like distance But more accurate - the look at address is so confident!

You better be bringing those down my way soon haha!!

Excited to hear more from the TMC participants that gamed these irons. Not a bit fan of the red weight but after seeing it in the bags with the other Taylormade equipment they have grown on me a bit.

Wow...impressive then. Great distance + accuracy...What else do you need in a set of irons?

Excited to hear more from the TMC participants that gamed these irons. Not a bit fan of the red weight but after seeing it in the bags with the other Taylormade equipment they have grown on me a bit.

You Don't see that over the ball, and it's there doing it's job (MOI and LOW CG) so the technology is awesome.

Wow...impressive then. Great distance + accuracy...What else do you need in a set of irons?

Agreed. The feel is friggin fantastic too; on a pured shot I don't even feel the ball leave the face. They did a great job in the feel and sound aspect.

I had 168 to the pin, par 3 it was trouble short and I had 175 to back. I pured a 6 iron 180 on the fly to the back bunker. Hard to be pissed missing the green on such a fantastic shot!

I am going to have to give these a try soon. My VR Pro Combo's are a couple months old now, so they have to be getting worn out and need replacing. Lol.

I saw these up close and personal at the MC over the weekend! A few of the boys had them in their bags. I couldn't wait to get my hands on them.
In my career I have hit hundreds of different irons. I've only felt this way about two other sets upon first swing. I actually grabbed a 1/4" long 2*upright 8 iron and took a smooth cut. The ball launched high and strong. It bore through the lite Florida breeze like a fat kid through cake. I tried to pump it up and found that you don't need to.
I'm sure the clubs I was swinging were built to the specs of each player. If I buy a set they will be customer ordered. I can't imagine playing with a club like this off the
shelf.
I hit the 4 iron out of this same set and though I pushed each shot right it was still so solid.
As the day wore on I wanted to hit the clubs again. When all the promos where completed, my man Arydolphin was still on the range. I wandered over and hit his PW, so easy so smooth. Then his 9iron, another high launch. Then the 8 iron, pure as I chased it down the line. These are setup 1/4" long 1* flat, they felt so good. I pulled his 5iron and hit some of the highest 5 irons I have ever hit. I was setup to hit a mid flight draw. The ball really springs off the face. Taylormade got it right, once again.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Back