Driver- Ball Position

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
I recently broke down and took a lesson, While I only worked on my iron play it helped with my driver. I now have the ball about where the big toe is instead of where my shoulder/armpit is. It really helped a ton but my last round and yesterday at the driving range I completely lost it. I was hitting hard snap hooks and could not figure it out. I moved the ball forward and backwards than finally looked at the clubbed. I could see I was almost hitting them off the hosel, so I decided to choke down instead of backing up and that helped some. I also had to tee the ball really low, the top of the teed ball was almost flush with the top of the driver. I am going back to the range today just to start over thinking it was a big mental thing as I was getting frustrated. Where is the best position to set the ball and isn't the ball typically supposed to be about half a ball above the driver?

Yep sounds like your going deep on that one. My stance for my driver is usually about shoulder width and I tee the ball on the inner side of my heel, inner hips. It tee up the ball indeed as you explained about half a ball above a grounded driver. Hope this helps. Share your progress after the driving range..

I suggest another lesson, a driver is supposed to be hit on the upswing and I am not quite sure where you have the ball positioned. If it is too close to the body, it seems you would have to come over the top to even hit it as you would be unable to get your body out of the way to hit the ball from the inside on an upswing. I am sure an internet search would provide some answers to your questions also.

Ball is about where my heel is, favoring the big toe area. I am hoping it was mental? I will find out shortly as I am getting ready to head to the range. Amazing game when its going so well than bam! thanks guys, let you know how it went this afternoon/evening.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but the best ball position for your driver is the one the yields the best results. There is no one proper way to position the ball. It depends on the individual's swing, stance, driver, shaft, what they want the ball to do, etc. Many people play the ball toward the front foot and tee it high. Personally, I play the ball just in front of center with the ball teed a normal height. I have found that is the positon that works best for my swing and the club I am swinging. If I want to play a big draw I will move it more towards the front foot and tee it a little higher. If I want to play a fade I play it about dead center and tee it a little lower.

Best thing to do is to grab a bucket and head to the range with a bunch of tees. Play around with different stances and ball positions until you find one that works best. If I demo a club, it takes 5-6 swings just to figure out a pretty good position before I make a decision on whether or not a driver will work for me. The distance you stand away from the ball can have a big effect as well.

It is my opinion many people buy a new driver and give up on it because they don't spend the time to figure it out. The same tried and true set-up that someone used for years may not work with a new club. If you're hitting hooks, I would say the ball is teed too high and postioned too far forward. There will be a certain set-up with just about any club where everything will click. The spot where you hit it slightly on the upswing and square at impact. The trick is to find that spot.

I have two positions from which I play that ball that have been effective for me. I learned them from watching one of my favorite golfers play (Rickie Fowler).
1.) The ball is just off the inside of your front foot. This allows the shaft of the driver to lean, putting you into what he calls a "Power Set up" This is for when You need to bomb it
2.) The ball is front of center, and you have choked down on the grip a little bit. The shaft here is "neutral". This is for control shots.

Good luck

For a fade, I play the ball well forward, and move it back for a draw. You want to catch it on the upswing for sure with the driver. Without seeing you ball position, it is hard to tell where you are at and where you need to be, but it needs to be at least inline with your left heel at address.

I think it varies for each individual where the ball should be placed at address, determined by your physical characteristics and swing plane. The general rule (applicable to most) is that the further forward in your stance, the more likely you will fade it. Makes sense, since the club will be moving from outside to in. The further back you put the ball in your stance, the more likely you will draw the ball, because your club is moving from inside to out.

For me personally (keep in mind, I have a draw driver with a closed clubface), I put the ball anywhere from 3-5" back from the center of my forward foot, depending on the shot shape and launch angle I want. It took my local pro two swings to fix my driver, and it was nothing but ball position at address.

Good luck!

I saw a YouTube video on this topic by a Canadian Pro named Rob Bernard, Center of Gravity Golf. Title was Driving without slicing, I think. It helped my drives more than anything else I've ever tried.

I've found that teeing it up forward of center (roughly lined up with the left breast pocket of my shirt if I had one) works best for me. Too far forward and I tend to slide through impact rather than turn on a stable axis. I just take my stance with slightly more weight on my back foot to help encourage an upward swing through impact and let 'er rip.

Well it was 3 things. Ball position, hands and height of the ball. I have the ball on the inside of my foot at address, Tee'd up I have about a 1/3rd of the ball above my driver and I had to have my hands about 6 inchs in front of the ball at address. This seems to set my wrist real good during the take away. After hitting about 150 balls (irons to) I just had to see what a real ball looked like coming off the driver after the past few days of losing it. Well it was great, flew really well with a slight fade. Teeing off tomorrow at 9:30 so the few changes should work out great. Thanks for the responses.

I have mine roughly on my big toe of my left foot to ensure that I hit it on the upswing. If I have it further back the slice appears.

I would suggest you post a question in the "ask the pro" forum. Our resident pro Andy is great and he has helped me on a couple of things.
Besides that....he's free !

I saw a YouTube video on this topic by a Canadian Pro named Rob Bernard, Center of Gravity Golf. Title was Driving without slicing, I think. It helped my drives more than anything else I've ever tried.

I did a search on youtube and found this.

thanks for the video DD, might have to give this a try, cant hurt

I saw this post earlier today and have been thinking quite a bit about it. I have come to the conclusion that I have no clue where I place the ball to get a desired ball flight. I rarely have swing thoughts since I am completely a feel player. I have always just set up where it feels comfortable and go with it. I will have to start watching my ball position and it might just help me out as well. Thanks for giving me something to watch for.

I too keep the ball just off my left foot near my big toe. I was told I had an over the top movement earlier and I've tried eliminating that. While I was demoing drivers the other day, the tech told me to tee the ball up lower, I'm actually only teeing the ball with almost none of it above the club face. I'm really liking this ball flight now!

FWIW I alter ball position for my driver about half a ball (not much) to favor left or right. Little further forward and my face is shutting down...result higher shot center to left FW. little further back in my stance and its a lower shot center to right FW. Usually their is a 'slight' face angle change with both setups. Ball fwd I open the face a smidge...ball back I have to square the face tad more to negate the push right...result...low/mid bullet rolling down right fw good. Try it on tee shots were you know were you 'don't' want to be

I used to have the same problem as you, hitting my driver near the hosel. My solution might not be for everyone but it worked for me. I address the ball off the toe and a clubhead behind, meaning at address the ball is about a clubhead in front and to the left of where the clubhead is at rest. It looks kinda disconcerting but I got used to it and it works fine for me.

Back