jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I went to a local golfsmith and the guy mentioned the macgregor m85i irons in the mix of clubs he suggested. I immediately shrugged them off like yeah right macgregor, come on man, next. After coming back and doing some research it seems they appear to get pretty dam good reviews. I didn't even look at them when I was there cause of the name. Little did I know they used to be pretty big back in the day.

Golfsmith currently has a deal going for $599 you get the set of irons, driver, a hybrid, a fairway wood, 2 VIP wedges and a bag!

I have read good things about the irons, and the wedges...but the drivers, etc not sure, but the price is ridiculous. I have always been a proponent of you get what you pay for, but these irons were originally $699 on sale for $299.

Am I missing something here? Thats a hell of a deal....if the stuff's any good. I mean I was looking at spending $599 possibly or more on irons alone.

Is this worth looking into?

That big a price cut they are probably last years model

I don't have any personal experience with the new MacGregor lines. Golfsmith bought the brand name and is it is a house brand now (like Nickent is now at Dick's).

Macgregor was bought by Golfsmith in May 2009. They were putting out some good stuff a few years before the sale and up to it but I don't know much about their stuff after Golfsmith bought them. The only thing I remember reading a few months ago was that a reviewer thought that the newer designs had too much Snake Eyes design in them.

• Admin
Yeah they are last years for sure.

Well I forgot this in my original post so let me say Hello!

I just joined and have been reading some posts on here and it seems to be pretty active so I am exicted.

I have been playing golf for bout 18 years. When I used to play alot I was about a 10 handicap and last 10 years or so I have been relegated to playing maybe 6 times a year so its dropped to about a 17 still. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. Well this year that is changing and I am in the market for some new sticks. Driver, 3 wood, irons wedges, putter....everything!

I have been reading reviews and such and really just don't know what the heck I want. Some days I say screw it anything is better that what I have, so just get the $399 burner 1.0's or x20's or the $149 last year model drivers and then somedays I say wait, if your gonna spend the money, why not get something newer.

I currently am hitting a Taylormade R360xd for my driver, and my irons are all Snake Eyes with Rifle shafts. They were "sort of" custom made. And by that a cousin was a clubmaker and I kinda just picked out heads I liked and shafts and we put them together. I hit them pretty good still, but I want some modern tech in my bag. PLUS I have NEVER had a name brand set of clubs. Always been hand me downs from dad or made for me by my cousin. Snake Eyes, Dynacraft, Etc. The only thing in my bag namebrand is my odyssey putter and I want to replace that too!

I have been looking at everything and anything. Currently looking at the new Cobra S3 stuff, Taylormade, Cleveland and haven't looked at adams, but have seen some good reviews. I dislike the Ping and Callaway looks, so I have completely ruled them out. Nike Machspeed driver has caught my attention as of late. But haven't hit it yet...

Sorry for long explanations, but hope it helps get some responses. So...any recommendations on clubs or otherwise?

Thanks

First off - Welcome to THP! You're in the right place if you're feeling a little confused about what to buy. Only bad thing being, you'll want to buy everything by the time you finish reading! :D

I'd recommend you get yourself down to the local retailer and hit every club you can get your hands on. Also, get a fitting. Although you're looking out for the big brands, you may be surprised by the performance of some of the less expensive stuff, especially if you are willing to consider last years model.

I personally know two guys who are both scratch golfers who hit McGregor irons, not sure which ones exactly. McGregor clubs are as good as any out there.

Think about shopping online as well, there are several places that offer tremendous deals on last year's models

I went to a local golfsmith and the guy mentioned the macgregor m85i irons in the mix of clubs he suggested. I immediately shrugged them off like yeah right macgregor, come on man, next. After coming back and doing some research it seems they appear to get pretty dam good reviews. I didn't even look at them when I was there cause of the name. Little did I know they used to be pretty big back in the day.

Golfsmith currently has a deal going for $599 you get the set of irons, driver, a hybrid, a fairway wood, 2 VIP wedges and a bag!

I have read good things about the irons, and the wedges...but the drivers, etc not sure, but the price is ridiculous. I have always been a proponent of you get what you pay for, but these irons were originally $699 on sale for $299.

Am I missing something here? Thats a hell of a deal....if the stuff's any good. I mean I was looking at spending $599 possibly or more on irons alone.

Is this worth looking into?

MacGregor is a classic name in golf and they were once one of the major OEM's. I don't know much about the brand these days but they could be worth having a look at, but there are good buys out there in some of todays big names as well.

MacGregor is a classic name in golf and they were once one of the major OEM's. I don't know much about the brand these days but they could be worth having a look at, but there are good buys out there in some of todays big names as well.

Kinda off topic but, it will be interesting if in say 15-20 years (or less) what people will be saying if a name like Taylormade, Ping, or Callaway, etc ended up as someone's house brand and how the new clubs would then be regarded.

/end thread jack.

To the OP, honestly if you hit them well and they feel good in your hands I'd say go for it. I would also try the main lines from other OEMs and if you're comfortable ordering online you can likely find a better price than what the store will offer you.

Id say give them a test if you can, you never know they might be amazing. I have a buddy still using old golden bear clubs from back in the day, Prob paid $200 for them and he still beats me almost every time. name brand isnt everything.

I play Macgregor Pro C's and I love them. I bought them before they were sold to GolfSmith. some of their older clubs are really good clubs. i have to say i don't know much about the current lines since they became a house brand forGolfSmith.

Just recently replaced my Cobra S2s with Macgregor MT Pro Mids. Beautiful looking club, similar in style to the Titleist AP1, which I was interested in. Got a used set with the micro step 95 gram regular flex shafts. I wanted to go lighter and softer in flex due to shoulder and hand injuries as I usually use S300s. Used them twice now and have used M585 forged and am pleased, so I think Macgregor has made quality clubs. Certainly, worth a look as they are very inexpensive.

I personally know two guys who are both scratch golfers who hit McGregor irons, not sure which ones exactly. McGregor clubs are as good as any out there.

Were as good as any club out there. Have you hit their latest lines? How do you know?

They went from being designed and having one of the classic and best club makers in the world to being nothing more than a store brand. Do you consider Tommy Armour irons today as good as the 845s that JBH designed?

I haven't tried the MacGregors since Golfsmith bought them out. However I have taken a good look at them and they look like high quality clubs.
Has anyone tried the MacGregor golf balls that Golfsmith is selling? Do they compare favorably with the big name brands?

Not sure where you ended up when it came to trying out or buying the MacGregor M85i irons but I wanted to chime in on MacGregor as a Golfsmith brand. Just because the brand is now owned by a golf retailer doesn't mean we are not trying to bring you high quality products at an affordable price. The MacGregor brand is held as our highest quality proprietary club brand and we design the product with that in mind. With the golf engineering expertise of the Sheets Design Group (Owned by golf designer Jeff Sheets) (http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html#MacGregor) we start off every club design project with the intent to make the products better every year. Yes there is a limited budget and a target goal when it comes to price of the club in store but the end product has to be quality or we scrap the project and start over. All of the products are produced in some of the same factories that all of the major OEMs are using so the production quality from that stand point is there. I am also tasked with the goal of keeping the brand rooted in the history and traditions that we saw in the MacGregor company's products going back all the way to early 1940s. We are trying to keep the history of the brand going while also bringing the products up to today's technical performance standards. If we just put out a set of old irons and they didn't perform then we would have failed the brand.

Hope that helps.

Also the M85i Irons were a very good performing iron and the newer Tourney (Black) Irons we launch late last year are a great improvement on that model. I'll probably never convince someone to just go buy the brand with words so I encourage anyone to go hit the clubs and decide for themselves.

Cheers,
Brandon

Back