Mizuno JPX-800 Pros vs MP-53s

Haha! Wrong my friend...well, kinda. Yes they do tend to be but Z-Stars are forged with pretty substantial cavities and I'm sure many will follow suit. Although just a couple / few years ago yes they were a bit limited in what they could do. They were usually players clubs because as you said of their limitations. Mostly in increasing COR, perimeter weighting, and making a good cavity. Because most forgings are more geared towards "players"*** people automatically associate that with being better. If players*** play them then they have to be better, right!?!?!?

***I hate the word players in golf. I suck, but damnit I'm a player. I PLAY the game don't I?

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

There are obviously exceptions, such as the Z-Stars and.... perhaps the Diablo Forged? I was simply generalizing.

Forged is a process but it is also a better process when struck correctly. You don't see many touring pro's play game improvement irons. Reason is when struck well they perform great spin trajectory angle into green but most of all the forge is a feel. You can feel the mishits and the good strikes giving one more feedback and confidence. Granted this isn't for everyone but they sure are nice when played well.

JB is right another big advantage is workability draw fade and flighting. Many of us can't do this well with our cavity backs and offset heads as we're essentially working against what the club is to do. Get ball up and draw. I'm play RAC lt's so trying to play a fade is very hard. I'm looking at getting clubs now and hopefully arrive this week. The r9 tp b's but looking at the razr x forge and jpx 800 pro's if r9's don't work out. Loved the razr's on range but already had r9's coming:(

I could not disagree more with this above.

So you're saying cast is a better process than a forge club? So most pros low handicappers play game improvement cavity backed clubs? There is definitely some graying lines now with technology able to forge a club with some cavity back giving larger sweet spot. Good golfers want to have that feel constantly and be able to hit that sweet spot consistently which is hard to do with cavity's lack of feel in general. Give me the top 5 cavity clubs that compare to performance of top 5 forge clubs in terms of workability, playability, and distance. Granted many cavity's are longer than forge clubs as the softer metal can take some off the distance but you lose significant ability to work the ball and flight it especially with advancements in shafts.

I firmly believe you get tremendous amount more feedback with forged clubs than cavity. I still firmly believe better players will gain tremendous benefit from from forged clubs than traditional cavity backs. You have to be able to work the ball while feeling your shots.

Where did I say casting was a better process?

You keep talking about performance, let me ask you this....If you think that all these great feel and performance is based on how the club is made, then why do more of these tour pros you keep referring to play cast clubs in the clubs that need the most feel???? WEDGES!

Two thirds of all the wedges used on tour are cast. You seem to be very confused on comparing forged vs cavity. One is a type of club, one is a process on how a club is made.
The #1 player in the world plays cast clubs....Does that mean he does not get proper feedback?
More touring pros play cast clubs in their wedges than forged clubs. These are the type of clubs that more feel shots are played than any other.
You seem to believe that soft metal means forged and it does not. Soft metal means soft metal....Whether it is cast or forged.

And lastly....If forged clubs give you the ultimate in feel, why do you use cast wedges?

:popcorn:

There are obviously exceptions, such as the Z-Stars and.... perhaps the Diablo Forged? I was simply generalizing.

DF's are not a true forging I don't think.

he was asking about the 800 Pros not the regular 800's so they may only be "way, way" not "way, way waaaaaaaaay" more forgiving...
Well, Ive demoed both sets and there is a pretty big difference. I can hit 800 Pros pretty well even when my swing isnt at its best. With the 53s you have to hit it pretty flush or else you wont play your best.
Theres a reason why the 800 Pros are, "game improvement" and the 53s are, "game enhancement".

DF's are not a true forging I don't think.

Ah. I knew they had a slightly different process. I am sure JB can clear it up. HEY JB, WAKE UP!!! YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS NEEDED!

It would be freaking hilarious if he had a text to word software on his computer that went rogue...

Ah. I knew they had a slightly different process. I am sure JB can clear it up. HEY JB, WAKE UP!!! YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS NEEDED!

It would be freaking hilarious if he had a text to word software on his computer that went rogue...

I think the body is cast and the face is forged and then they are put together. I'm probably dead wrong though. However they are put together, they feel real nice. I love the DF's.

I think the body is cast and the face is forged and then they are put together. I'm probably dead wrong though. However they are put together, they feel real nice. I love the DF's.

I almost demoed some of the non-forged ones at GolfTec, but they were just too damned ugly, man. I couldn't look at them. They look like something a teenager would use.... wait a second....

I almost demoed some of the non-forged ones at GolfTec, but they were just too damned ugly, man. I couldn't look at them. They look like something a teenager would use.... wait a second....

Lol they are not the prettiest I will say that.

Lol they are not the prettiest I will say that.

It looks a lot like someone vomited spaghetti into the cavity, in my humble, infallible opinion.

Well, Ive demoed both sets and there is a pretty big difference. I can hit 800 Pros pretty well even when my swing isnt at its best. With the 53s you have to hit it pretty flush or else you wont play your best.
Theres a reason why the 800 Pros are, "game improvement" and the 53s are, "game enhancement".

and a reason why the 800's are Super GI, or would the 800's be way, way, waaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaaaaay easier to hit than the 53's?:alien2:

Where did I say casting was a better process?

You keep talking about performance, let me ask you this....If you think that all these great feel and performance is based on how the club is made, then why do more of these tour pros you keep referring to play cast clubs in the clubs that need the most feel???? WEDGES!

Two thirds of all the wedges used on tour are cast. You seem to be very confused on comparing forged vs cavity. One is a type of club, one is a process on how a club is made.
The #1 player in the world plays cast clubs....Does that mean he does not get proper feedback?
More touring pros play cast clubs in their wedges than forged clubs. These are the type of clubs that more feel shots are played than any other.
You seem to believe that soft metal means forged and it does not. Soft metal means soft metal....Whether it is cast or forged.

And lastly....If forged clubs give you the ultimate in feel, why do you use cast wedges?

Lets take that a step further then why does 80% of the tour play forged irons? I'm not saying one is better than the other but you've been quick to dismiss forge as just a process and no difference in clubs and I just don't think that's the case. I play a cast club but feedback is harsh and feels is non existent after comparing to forge clubs. Forging process with technology has changed the game as many pro's were playing cast 6-10yrs ago but now with forge process improving to allow weight transfer in club for forgiveness this is now the best of both worlds.

So why does 80% of the pga tour play forge vs cast now? Surely isn't marketing as forge is the overwhelming club underdog when it comes to sales.

I'm probably not good enough to consistently take advantage of a forged club even the forging cavities like MC, razr x etc. I will say this when I strike my cavity perfect and then razr x perfect world of difference in distance trajectory spin and feedback.

I'd like to try those jpx 800 pro's outside they seem very nice least hitting into a net. A little less feedback as toe balls feel harsh but still seem to come off club well. Curious to see how they'll compare to razr x forge

Lets take that a step further then why does 80% of the tour play forged irons? I'm not saying one is better than the other but you've been quick to dismiss forge as just a process and no difference in clubs and I just don't think that's the case. I play a cast club but feedback is harsh and feels is non existent after comparing to forge clubs. Forging process with technology has changed the game as many pro's were playing cast 6-10yrs ago but now with forge process improving to allow weight transfer in club for forgiveness this is now the best of both worlds.

So why does 80% of the pga tour play forge vs cast now? Surely isn't marketing as forge is the overwhelming club underdog when it comes to sales.

I'm probably not good enough to consistently take advantage of a forged club even the forging cavities like MC, razr x etc. I will say this when I strike my cavity perfect and then razr x perfect world of difference in distance trajectory spin and feedback.

I dont know where you got your numbers from, but they are not even close to correct, I would love to see the stats though.

You keep looking at this as Forged is a type of iron. Its NOT! Forged is simply a process to create the iron. You can make cast irons in any possible shape one would want. Forging a club is the way the iron is created....NOT a type of iron. I strongly urge you to do some research on the subject on casting and forging. I will never say one is better than the other, because that is an opinion and I dont have one, but to say that a forged iron is a type of club and NOT how a club is made is absolutely ridiculous.

Until someone truly understands what it is they are debating, it is not worth really having the debate. I truly hope that research is done, because in the end, knowledge is power and a more informed consumer can understand their purchases better.

Last edited:
I'd like to try those jpx 800 pro's outside they seem very nice least hitting into a net. A little less feedback as toe balls feel harsh but still seem to come off club well. Curious to see how they'll compare to razr x forge

I hit these at the Outing and they are serious. I loved the way they felt. Clean and smooth. Great shots with those irons.

I think my first comment was forge is a process its not a type of club so I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. Cast is made from a mold and forge is a solid piece of metal so where is the confusion? Well JB I'm just going off what I read from Golf digest where I will stake as more of expert than any of us as they have done the research.

This is a good quote from probably the best forge artist in the world:
And what about the science? Katsuhiro Miura gave Golf Digest a telling analogy in 2007 when he described the difference between casting and forging. "It's like if you have two glass jars," he said. "One is filled with marbles and the other is filled with sand. There are a lot of voids in the jar filled with marbles, but not with the jar of sand. The jar of sand is a forged iron.

Also here is the facts that 80% of the tour is using forged clubs yes some are blades and some cavity back as those are types of clubs but still using a forged process.

Here is the article from Golf digest so do read as this was just two weeks ago so I'd call it current. You're clearly passionate about this but this clearly tells the story I'm referring too so hopefully you will agree.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-05/golf-johnson-equipment-0502

I currently game Mizuno JPX-800s but recently I have been hitting my irons better & was BSing around in the local Golf Galaxy & I hit some JPX-800 Pros & MP-53s.

I know Mizuno says that MP-53s are for better players but didn't really notice much difference in forgiveness. I hit both clubs equally well on the simulator and the guy their said I could probably game either set.

One think I did notice is that the MP-53s were heavier. When I asked the guy he said that was because the JPX-800 Pros have weight removed from the middle which makes them easier to hit.

For every that have hit both, do you notice any difference in forgiveness? What were the key points on why you bought the set you did?

I own both the MP 53's and the 800 pros. In the end I do not see the value of the 800 pros. I think the 53's are fairly forgiving and I don't see a lot of difference in my game between the 53’s and the 800 pros other than the 800 pros don’t lose as much distance on the occasional toe hit. I think the 53’s cut through the turf nicer and are a lot better to look at. My sets are matched as far as loft and distance has been similar. The “hot metal” technology on the non forged 800’s make that a superior option to the 800 pros in my opinion and that would be the option of you are looking for distance and forgiveness.

I hit these at the Outing and they are serious. I loved the way they felt. Clean and smooth. Great shots with those irons.

How'd you compare to your r9's I've heard these are pretty long too but curious if you felt like you could work ball too. They have some offset I read but not nearly what others have.

I think my first comment was forge is a process its not a type of club so I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. Cast is made from a mold and forge is a solid piece of metal so where is the confusion? Well JB I'm just going off what I read from Golf digest where I will stake as more of expert than any of us as they have done the research.

This is a good quote from probably the best forge artist in the world:
And what about the science? Katsuhiro Miura gave Golf Digest a telling analogy in 2007 when he described the difference between casting and forging. "It's like if you have two glass jars," he said. "One is filled with marbles and the other is filled with sand. There are a lot of voids in the jar filled with marbles, but not with the jar of sand. The jar of sand is a forged iron.

Also here is the facts that 80% of the tour is using forged clubs yes some are blades and some cavity back as those are types of clubs but still using a forged process.

Here is the article from Golf digest so do read as this was just two weeks ago so I'd call it current. You're clearly passionate about this but this clearly tells the story I'm referring too so hopefully you will agree.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-05/golf-johnson-equipment-0502

Couple of things.

1. Please dont discount others knowledge like that.
2. All the metal starts off the same. If you believe there are giant chunks of steel found and forged than this really is different.
3. Where in that article does Mr. Miura talk about a forged club being workable or more performance based? Im trying to find it.

"you've been quick to dismiss forge as just a process and no difference in clubs and I just don't think that's the case."

Your quote. And I will say it again. forging an iron is NOTHING more than how the iron is made!

Design not method of manufacture determines how easy/hard an iron is to hit. A forged cavity back might be a lot offer far less feedback, workability, and performance as a cast blade!

How'd you compare to your r9's I've heard these are pretty long too but curious if you felt like you could work ball too. They have some offset I read but not nearly what others have.

The contact feeling was similar, but I did feel like I could work the ball more. I love my R9's, but have to work hard to move the ball. I have been looking to find a club that is easier to work the ball. I think these compare to the TM MC irons a lot.

The contact feeling was similar, but I did feel like I could work the ball more. I love my R9's, but have to work hard to move the ball. I have been looking to find a club that is easier to work the ball. I think these compare to the TM MC irons a lot.

Must be because they are cast....:D

oh very interesting on MC comparison. I did like the look of those a lot more than these as top line thick imo. Have you tried razr x forge?

I was thinking pro's longer than mc's from discussions. love to get my hands on them outside. What an amazing year for clubs with so many great forge options and driver technology!

oh very interesting on MC comparison. I did like the look of those a lot more than these as top line thick imo. Have you tried razr x forge?

I was thinking pro's longer than mc's from discussions. love to get my hands on them outside. What an amazing year for clubs with so many great forge options and driver technology!

I did hit the razr x tours and they compared very similar too. I didn't notice much of a distance loss, but I was on a range. It is hard to tell a little bit of distance loss out there.

Very true:) Hey I'm gettin the r9's tp b's today so I'm hoping I love soft cast!

I think it is due to the fact the are more of a cavity back. I could achieve the same results with the R9 TPs.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

I have the 800 Pros and love them. I went from the x-22, to burner 2.0, to these. My have actually gotten more consistent with these

Back