hybrid vs 5 wood...

jag398

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious as to what people think as to what club is more useful? I guess it depends on the person; however, I personally use 3 wedges (other than the normal pitching wedge) so carrying 14 clubs means I get a driver, 3 wood, and either a hybrid of 5 wood. I'm just wondering what people on this site prefer. I'd say the hybrid due to the versatility.

gave my 5 wood to my brother cause I love my 3H!!

I am assuming you are referring to an ~18 degree 5 wood vs a ~21 degree hybrid (replacing the 3 iron)?

I personally dropped my 5 wood and 3 iron in favour of a 20 degree hybrid, although I have been playing with 13 clubs since I have yet to switch to the 50/54/58 wedge setup I keep intending on.. The way I see it, if I'm over 210 out, I am not too worried about locking in a distance as I am advancing the ball to a scoring position. I never used my 5 wood when it was in my bag because the 3 hybrid is so much more accurate for me.

I hit a 5W farther than a 3H. I'm thinking about dropping a wedge and plugging a 5W back in the bag. If I could find the right one and someone would give it to me.

Kevin

my 3H is 19* and when I get ahold of it, man it really goes!

20ish hybrid is just fine for me.

I was playing a 5W before but I've found better results with a 19 degree hybrid. I've always used my 3W off the tee only so trying to hit the 5W from the deck caused a mental block.

Slightly less distance but it's more accurate and I can use it out of the rough when needed.

I have both an 18* 5W and 19* 3H. The 3 goes about 210 yards and the 5 around 230.

Have to go with the 5W. Way easier to hit than a 17*-18* Hybrid any day. At least for me.

The struggle I am having is between a 7W and a 21* Hybrid. I hit both of them about the same distance- can't decide which to keep in the bag.

I'm of the mind that hybrids make great long iron replacements. But to each his own. Just compare a #3 hybrid to a #5 wood. Pick the one that suits you. For me I prefer the higher ball flight of the #5 wood.

I'm of the mind that hybrids make great long iron replacements. But to each his own. Just compare a #3 hybrid to a #5 wood. Pick the one that suits you. For me I prefer the higher ball flight of the #5 wood.

I agree that hybrids replace long irons in my way of thinking. Right now I have the 5 wood and 3 hybrid in my bag. I hit the 5 wood farther.

Just curious as to what people think as to what club is more useful? I guess it depends on the person; however, I personally use 3 wedges (other than the normal pitching wedge) so carrying 14 clubs means I get a driver, 3 wood, and either a hybrid of 5 wood. I'm just wondering what people on this site prefer. I'd say the hybrid due to the versatility.

I carry a 3 hybrid. I like it better out of the rough than either a 5 wood or a 3 iron. I also use mine alot for chips around the green.

I've always been a 3wood > hybrid kind of guy when it comes to my bag set up, but I'm contemplating going from a 3wood > 5wood. I don't necessarily struggle to hit a fairway wood off the deck but I do believe that hybrids are easier. I suspect that a 5wood would be far more beneficial off the tee though. It's a great dilemma to ponder over.

im a 3 wood to hybrid as well, yardage gaps are just fine so i dont see the point in adding another club.
i like the hybrid better as i can use it from crappy lies where i find myself most frequently.

Jag, I have both and will pull one out of the bag in favor of the other depending on the course I'll be playing. I prefer my 5 wood off the tee, so on shorter courses where I need it I will keep it in the bag. I have more confidence with the 3 hybrid from the fairway and rough, so if I think I'll need it more in that capacity I leave the 5 wood in the trunk of my car for the round. I will sacrifice a few yards by not having the 5 wood, but I hit the hybrid higher and have a better chance to hit and hold more greens with it from that distance. If you play the same course all of the time, I guess you could settle on just the one....but why not have both as an option?!

I haven't carried a 5-wood for years. I've got a 17 degree 3-wood, and the next progression is my M2 Mashie to the M3 Mashie.

I think the hybrids are much more versatile - punching out of trouble, digging out from the rough or bad lies, chipping from around the green, etc...

I took my 3 hybrid (20.5°) out and put in a 7 wood (22°) because I found that I hit the woods better on the longer shots.

I've been pondering looking for a 5 wood to carry. I carry a 15* 3-wood and a 19* 3-hybrid. I hit my 3w 240-250 off the tee and 225-235 off the deck. The 3h goes 210-225 off the deck and my 4 iron goes 200-215. I guess the only benefit of a 5 wood for me would be off the tee. It would probably go 230-240...?

I carry 13 clubs as it is...

I recently took my 3 iron out of my bag since I usually pull out the 3h instead.

I carry an 18* hybrid as my 5w. It's like having two clubs. I also carry a 20* hybrid which replaced my 2&3 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play an 18 degree 5W and a 20.5 3h. I prefer the 5W off the tees and it is the prefect gap for me when my long par 3s are playing into the wind. Otherwise, I hit the 3h into those par 3s.

3h = 190-195 yards, 5W = 205-215 yards.

I put a 17* 4 wood in the bag, took out both my 3 and 5 wood and put a 18* 3hybrid in the bag. The 3 hybrid is working out great and I can hit it high and as far as my old 5 wood.

I don't seem to be able to hit hybrids at all. I have a definitely tendency to hook them. I'm actually thinking about going back to a 2 iron instead of my hybrid. Perhaps a 5W would be a better option.

I've got a 4w and a 3h...the gaps in yardage for me are minimal. Honestly though if I'm 200+ yrds out I usually lay up and play safer.

To me the argument was distance or accuracy. The 5 wood went about 15 yds further and I could actually hit a hybrid straight. I chose the hybrid because I knew it would benefit me and I don't really need too much distance between 3 wood and 3 iron so the hybrid was the choice for me. Also the hybrid is much more versatile as far as hitting shots out of the rough or sand compared to a wood.

I'm in the same boat with the 4w and 3h, but I have a strong 3 wood when my driver is being a jerk.

Back