High Launch Angle - Is it bad?

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
I went in for a ball fitting today and came away slightly confused. Not about my ball selection, but because of the stats related to my Launch Angle.

My last ball fitting had several "top balls" listed as right for me. I tried several over the season and had mixed results. I decided to take 2 of the better performing balls in and test them against the ball fitting machine to determine which one was right for me.

Throughout the process, all the pro could do was say, "Wow, that's a high launch angle". He never told me what was wrong with it or why it was bad, so here I am, asking the folks at THP for their input.

Stats are listed below with the 2 best and worst removed :

DriverStats.jpg

I admit, on the course, my ball flight is high. But the ball still goes a long ways. I feel like shots that miss the fairway are due to my mechanics more than the launch angle.

I use a Ping G-15 9 degree with a stiff Seranno shaft.

Any thoughts on what I should change if anything? How would my carry / total distance be different with a lower launch angle?

Thanks.

Yeah, thats high. For your SS you could bring it down a good 4-5 degrees and probably pick up about 10 yds carry, and 15 yards total distance, if my thought process is correct.

I went in for a ball fitting today and came away slightly confused. Not about my ball selection, but because of the stats related to my Launch Angle.

My last ball fitting had several "top balls" listed as right for me. I tried several over the season and had mixed results. I decided to take 2 of the better performing balls in and test them against the ball fitting machine to determine which one was right for me.

Throughout the process, all the pro could do was say, "Wow, that's a high launch angle". He never told me what was wrong with it or why it was bad, so here I am, asking the folks at THP for their input.

Stats are listed below with the 2 best and worst removed :

DriverStats.jpg

I admit, on the course, my ball flight is high. But the ball still goes a long ways. I feel like shots that miss the fairway are due to my mechanics more than the launch angle.

I use a Ping G-15 9 degree with a stiff Seranno shaft.

Any thoughts on what I should change if anything? How would my carry / total distance be different with a lower launch angle?

Thanks.

Your carry distances are 20+ yards further than mine and my ball speed during my fitting were in the 159-163 range. My launch angle was right around 10-11*. Personally, I would love to have your numbers.

Here's what I can't understand: how are the "optimal" numbers showing 34 yards LESS carry and 42 yards LESS carry than your average numbers? That seems like the opposite of optimal to me.

You definitely could bring the launch down a little bit, but if you're really driving it 320 total with a swing speed of 108-111 mph, I wouldn't touch a thing.

I think your numbers are great. I'd be happy with them the way they are. My club speed is the same as yours and I get about 30 yds less carry and about 40 yds less total. Kinda disappointing. I wouldn't make much of it if I were you, you're distances are great.

There is nothing wrong with those numbers. There are a lot people that would trade places with you.

There is nothing wrong with those numbers. There are a lot people that would trade places with you.
I'll trade with him. Even up!

Do you see those distances on the course? I am shocked you are getting 30 yards of roll with a high ball flight.

Do you see those distances on the course? I am shocked you are getting 30 yards of roll with a high ball flight.

That is one thing that I do notice.

Here in Oklahoma, I will have a perfect swing; good follow through, good balance, feel the ball compress; and when we get up to the ball, it is short of 300 yards.

While in the southwest, with firmer fairways, I do see those distances.

I've always blamed the slow / soft fairways here in Oklahoma. It is probably a combination of the two.

If I wanted a lower launch angle, what would I change to achieve that? Different swing, different shaft, both?

Here in Oklahoma, I will have a perfect swing; good follow through, good balance, feel the ball compress; and when we get up to the ball, it is short of 300 yards.

I've always blamed the slow / soft fairways here in Oklahoma. It is probably a combination of the two.

If I wanted a lower launch angle, what would I change to achieve that? Different swing, different shaft, both?

Loft of the club would probably have more to do in changing the launch angle than the shaft, but you could probably find a lower launching shaft as well than the stiff Serrano shaft.

Your best bet would be a shaft chagne, but like everyone else has said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Your spin and distance look good, a shaft change would put those at risk. A shaft with a higher kick point shoudl bring the flight down.

Loft of the club would probably have more to do in changing the launch angle than the shaft, but you could probably find a lower launching shaft as well than the stiff Serrano shaft.

Agreed. Lower loft will do it, but you could also look for a shaft with a higher kick point I believe will get you a lower launch. Or so I've been told.

Shoot, I'll throw in a hundred dollars to boot if he will trade with me. :D

Think I forgot to mention that I'm usually playing out of the trees or adjacent fairways...

Think I forgot to mention that I'm usually playing out of the trees or adjacent fairways...

Hell so am I...just 50 yards behind you..:rofl:

Are you over powering your shaft maybe? I have a feeling a Miyazaki shaft fitting would do some amazing things for you! One of the new Kusala shafts maybe?

you still get a lot of roll with the high launch angle,over here your lucky to get 10 yrds of roll even with a low penetrating flight.you have to rely on pure carry for total driving distances.

The launch monitor takes that into consideration with side spin. I wont get into the numbers, but with a 108 swing speed getting 321 yards of distance, I would not change a thing.

You've got a high launch but your spin isn't too high currently, if you ball isn't dropping down midflight like a wounded duck I wouldn't worry about it. Only reason I would change anything is if you're really struggling in the wind.

What is your handicap bud??

You say this was at a ball fitting but have you been for a driver fitting yet because if I was poking the thing that far out there and spraying it all over the shop I would certainly be on the search for a more stable shaft. Either that or I would be looking to sloooooow things down a touch to keep swing/shaft within limits.

What is your handicap bud??

You say this was at a ball fitting but have you been for a driver fitting yet because if I was poking the thing that far out there and spraying it all over the shop I would certainly be on the search for a more stable shaft. Either that or I would be looking to sloooooow things down a touch to keep swing/shaft within limits.

Handicap has been everywhere between 16-20 this season (started at 22). I take a lot of penalties off the tee. I don't slice the ball anymore like I used to. Now my misses are pushes right, or too much draw / hooks left. I attribute most of that too poor technique. I guess it could be the shaft too.

I have gone to the stores for an impromptu fitting several times. They simply hand me different drivers. Never evaluate custom shafts.

I had an official GolfTec fitting over the summer. The pro actually suggested I go with a 10.5 head with a stock stiff shaft.

I would love to find a place that will let me try out different shaft / head combinations vs off the rack stuff.

The wrong shaft will cause bad misses but usually in one direction. From what you say I would be leaning towards a technique issue rather than just shaft.

Seems to me that you are lashing at the ball to knock the living s**t out of it. Definately not the best policy. If you can work on your technique to try and get a smoother swing(lessons are prob the way to go) that allows the club to work more with you rather than against you your consistency will improve no end.

Do you have these same issues with all clubs, or is it just that with driver in hand you feel compelled to smash it?

I could sort you out at a stroke if I were there. I would kick you up the butt every time you reached for the driver!!!! Joking aside, work on a smoother technique and once you are more happier with your bad ones go and get fitted for a driver. Unfortunatey if you get fitted now and are spraying them around due to lashing at it you will gain very little.

If you are able to sort out the direction better and still have that sort of length off tee you then MUST get your short game tuned because a good short game allied with your length will be un-beatable.

what were the conditions like?yardages seem long for a ss of 108.

what were the conditions like?

Conditions were indoor on a fitting launch monitor.

The carry numbers seemed accurate. Carry numbers outside vary depending on the fairways.

Back