TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

Skimmer alert, but for those staffers that have been playing these for a while now, have you noticed any significant increases in distance?

These questions are for Ary and anybody else going 54/58. Do you find that the 54 gives you a comfortable amount of loft out of the sand, especially in a deep bunker? Also, how do feel about the higher bounce on the 58? Any issues on tight lies?

I have been thinking about going the 54/58 route with my wedges. However, I am concerned that the lower loft of the 54 would be an issue as it would be my primary sand club.
Do you mean the 58 is the primary sand club? If the 54 would be the primary sand club, I would say it isn't enough loft, especially on deeper bunkers where you need to get the ball up quicker. I think the higher loft on the 58 with the C-grind would be a versatile club. I also think it would make a better sand club and you should be able to play it off tighter lies. I've had no issue with my higher bounced 60 and 56.

I just noticed that TM added the Burner 2.0 wedges to it's webpage. A, S, L.

Hawk, I like your thinking with the different bounces encountering different conditions and like Thainer said, you can add loft by opening it up moving the ball around.

Do you mean the 58 is the primary sand club? If the 54 would be the primary sand club, I would say it isn't enough loft, especially on deeper bunkers where you need to get the ball up quicker. I think the higher loft on the 58 with the C-grind would be a versatile club. I also think it would make a better sand club and you should be able to play it off tighter lies. I've had no issue with my higher bounced 60 and 56.

I just noticed that TM added the Burner 2.0 wedges to it's webpage. A, S, L.

Hmmm. Then I wonder what the point would be in even having the 54? For me, that is. I suppose I could use it for fluffy lies in the rough.

Hawk, I like your thinking with the different bounces encountering different conditions and like Thainer said, you can add loft by opening it up moving the ball around.

Thanks. I typically like a low bounce GW and LW and higher bounce SW. I suppose I could just stick to the 56/60 set up and not even worry about all this haha.

Hmmm. Then I wonder what the point would be in even having the 54? For me, that is. I suppose I could use it for fluffy lies in the rough.
It will give you some larger gaps back to your PW. I'd hope you could get some more versatility out of it than just one or two shots. You could use it for full shots (70-80 yards, not sure on your length). I really like chipping with a 56/54 and it works well with tighter lies with more bounce and my swing type. I think it will give you more shots than you think.

Thanks. I typically like a low bounce GW and LW and higher bounce SW. I suppose I could just stick to the 56/60 set up and not even worry about all this haha.
Or 54(52)/60. I'm just thinking of your gap back to the PW.

These questions are for Ary and anybody else going 54/58. Do you find that the 54 gives you a comfortable amount of loft out of the sand, especially in a deep bunker? Also, how do feel about the higher bounce on the 58? Any issues on tight lies?

I have been thinking about going the 54/58 route with my wedges. However, I am concerned that the lower loft of the 54 would be an issue as it would be my primary sand club.

I had concerns about the 54/58 combo myself. I tried a few swings with Ary's 54 and 58 out of a practice bunker a few weeks ago. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but the 54 just didn't feel right to me and the 58 was ok. For the the morgan cup I decided to stay 56/60 because that is what I am comfortable with.

When I ordered them, I was planning on using the 54 as my main chipping club, and using the 58 situationally. Once I got them out on the course however, it is almost entirely reversed. With the C-grind on the 58, I'm using it for almost all chipping purposes out of any lie, as well as my main bunker club. The 54 is now more of a full swing club or if I want a lower chip.

Sure you could, thats the reason I got the 51* in the xFT and not in the AW that comes with the iron set. Now I have three wedges with three different bounce options that I can use in almost any situation.

I hope this isn't becoming misconstrued as a wedge setup discussion and it really does relate to the xFT's for me. The thing is, I just don't ever take full shots with anything higher than the 50°. I'm sure that's mental, but I would rather choke up on the 50°.

Hawk,
Good questions, hope I can help you out. Before I got the xft wedges, I played a 54 as my primary sand club. It did the job for the most part, though I struggled some with shots coming out of bunkers with high lips or shots I had to stop very quickly. To stop it quickly, I had to really get the face wide open, which led to inconsistency.

With my new wedges, I use the 58 as my primary sand club because it finally has enough bounce to not dug into the sand and get stuck. I haven't hit a lot of shots on the course off of tight lies, so I can't help much there. I have hit a lot if shots off the mats at my range (sort of a tight lie) with the 58 and not had issues.

Someone asked about distances, I've maybe gained 5 yards on full shots, but that's not a big deal to me.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hawk,
Good questions, hope I can help you out. Before I got the xft wedges, I played a 54 as my primary sand club. It did the job for the most part, though I struggled some with shots coming out of bunkers with high lips or shots I had to stop very quickly. To stop it quickly, I had to really get the face wide open, which led to inconsistency.

With my new wedges, I use the 58 as my primary sand club because it finally has enough bounce to not dug into the sand and get stuck. I haven't hit a lot of shots on the course off of tight lies, so I can't help much there. I have hit a lot if shots off the mats at my range (sort of a tight lie) with the 58 and not had issues.

Someone asked about distances, I've maybe gained 5 yards on full shots, but that's not a big deal to me.

Sent from Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback! Let me know if you come along some hardpan/tight lies with these in the future. These are among the top choices I have for wedges.

I appreciate the feedback! Let me know if you come along some hardpan/tight lies with these in the future. These are among the top choices I have for wedges.

No problem, I'm headed out for a round tomorrow so I'll give you some feedback if I get some tight lies.

One other thing I forgot to post earlier: I played a muni the other day where there wasn't much sand at all in the bunkers, and the sand that was there was pretty hard. I hit a shot out of one of the bunkers with a 54 because I had to play it to run out a bunch on the green and I didn't feel comfortable taking a big swing with the 58. The club was still able to get into the sand and the ball came out nicely, I was fearful of the bounce causing the leading edge to hit the ball instead of going through the sand, but that wasn't the case.

I am hitting these farther than Vokeys.

Hawk, if you like to be versatile with the 50*, why worry so much about the gaps? I kind of ignored gaps when I ordered mine because I feel the same way about the wedge I had bent to 51*. I ordered the 56* with more bounce specifically for the softer FL sand. I have used a 58-08* out of the harder sand here in Cheeseland for a number of years. I had not thought I would play the 56-12* off fairway and rough lies, then tried it and it worked great. It has also worked out of sand really well. It's nice to be able to lay the 58-09* open when I need to as the 56 is not a good flopper, but I'm finding the 56-12* really versatile. I couldn't be more pleased with how the 51*, 56*, and 58* set up has been working out.

Kevin

That's an excellent point and you just validated something I've been thinking to myself for awhile. I absolutely have no reason to gap wedges evenly since I only hit one of them full. I normally look at the bounce and what shots I expect to be able to hit with them. Thanks, Kevin.

I am hitting these farther than Vokeys.

Hawk, if you like to be versatile with the 50*, why worry so much about the gaps? I kind of ignored gaps when I ordered mine because I feel the same way about the wedge I had bent to 51*. I ordered the 56* with more bounce specifically for the softer FL sand. I have used a 58-08* out of the harder sand here in Cheeseland for a number of years. I had not thought I would play the 56-12* off fairway and rough lies, then tried it and it worked great. It has also worked out of sand really well. It's nice to be able to lay the 58-09* open when I need to as the 56 is not a good flopper, but I'm finding the 56-12* really versatile. I couldn't be more pleased with how the 51*, 56*, and 58* set up has been working out.

Kevin

That's an excellent point and you just validated something I've been thinking to myself for awhile. I absolutely have no reason to gap wedges evenly since I only hit one of them full. I normally look at the bounce and what shots I expect to be able to hit with them. Thanks, Kevin.

I look at anything other than the GW as a specialty club. Let the creativity flow.

Kevin

The 50 degree is becoming my favorite wedge. Hit one to 3' from the distance I wanted. Missed the putt. But love how can I put a full swing on this club with the shaft in place and it just performs. It gives me the perfect amount of spin as well, even with these non-conforming grooves. This club is really suiting my game and wish I would have switched sooner.

i tried 54 and 58 with the cg16. I do love the added distance with teh sand wedge - but in the sand, greenside.. i LOVE my 60* c grind XFT.

Not blowing smoke; its the best wedge Ive ever hit.

I would rank the XFT waaay above the Cg15 right now.

Not sure if ive improved my wedge play with all the practice at my short game facility - but these XFT give me a ton of confidence.

I started really thinking about compressing the ball into the ground at impact, and it gives me great pitches.

I was 110 to the pin on monday. My One-Tizzle number, layup yardage, whatever you want to call it.

I had 10 yards behind the pin, 5 yards in front - so i wanted to land it on that front area (105 is my fly number, well it WAS until monday)

I pull the 50* XFT, hit a beautiful wedge shot, compresed it into the ground, took a perfect divot. watch it never leave the pin, tell my buddy thats a wedge shot. he laughs.
i watch it bounce on the BACK fringe - and bounce/roll another 10 yards behind the green. on the fly the pitch mark was 120. Thats my normal PW distance.

And i swear i just took a 3/4 swing like normal. Couldnt believe it.

Next few holes I hit it and it was constantly carrying 115-118 now. I think my compressing it is really sending it- FWIW I was gaming my pentas only that day.

The 50 degree is becoming my favorite wedge. Hit one to 3' from the distance I wanted. Missed the putt. But love how can I put a full swing on this club with the shaft in place and it just performs. It gives me the perfect amount of spin as well, even with these non-conforming grooves. This club is really suiting my game and wish I would have switched sooner.

i tell ya after my round monday i am SOOO happy i went with this and not an AW.

Its my fav wedge too - the shaft is fantastic; the wedge just performs. it feels phenomenal. im not that accurate as you yet. but its coming. i got the nod from my head pro today: alignment is perfect. Accuracy should come soon.

i played a hard course monday. the sand had some very hard bunkers. I used the 60* on every one just fine. on a harder pan lie, i dont open the face, i still want a little of that leading edge to be down to prevent a skull.

Not sure if thats they way you are supposed to play it - but hard pan lie, and an open club makes me queezy standing over it.

I hope this isn't becoming misconstrued as a wedge setup discussion and it really does relate to the xFT's for me. The thing is, I just don't ever take full shots with anything higher than the 50°. I'm sure that's mental, but I would rather choke up on the 50°.

hmm. I went with a pelz approach.

i have 4 wedge shots. full, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 swings. Then i use each wedge. i have my distances pretty much dialed in.

for example - my 3/4 56* XFT shot is 75 yards. so i step up - and hit a few practice shots, find out where the bottom of the arc is.. and place the ball there --- then on the takeway think 10:00 (like on the face of a clock)
and i can hit it the same distance most every time.

my 1/2 wedge shot is my most accurate. (9:00 o clock) and with a 56 thats 60 yards.

hope that makes sense.

1/4 wedge shot is mostly small pitches or chips (7:30 or 8:00 o clock) and i love it for chipping..

i tell ya after my round monday i am SOOO happy i went with this and not an AW.

Its my fav wedge too - the shaft is fantastic; the wedge just performs. it feels phenomenal. im not that accurate as you yet. but its coming. i got the nod from my head pro today: alignment is perfect. Accuracy should come soon.
I wish they were all that close. I am consistently near my ball mark on the green as well, which I like and quite honestly, never expected from the non-conforming grooves.

I wish they were all that close. I am consistently near my ball mark on the green as well, which I like and quite honestly, never expected from the non-conforming grooves.

Gotta say after reading most of this thread, I may have to look at these wedges a little more closely in the future. The grooves in my Cleveland are alright, but don't have the zip they used to. Plus I love the interchangeable face option.

Agree with ya on the non conforming grooves. I thought I'd hit greens and they'd roll off, but im seeing as good of spin control as I did on my cg15's

Back