Setup for New Golfer

slicemasterflex

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone! I'm absolutely a "newbie" golfer, but look forward to actually playing seriously and getting more into it, as several clients of mine are avid golfers and I would love to get out on the course and not make a fool out of myself one of these days. Right now I have a really crappy set of Knight clubs (lefthanded) that are total junk. I have been to a few golf shops around my house, and looked online on several sights trying to find some decent stuff. A few questions: First I am 6'2" and have heard a variety of methods as far as figuring out what size of clubs I need. Is there a surefire way to measure them out, or is it more comfort based? I am also unsure as to the differences in shoes, and golf balls. Yes, I realize several of you are laughing at me at this point, but for those who aren't, any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the link! This new found hobby is going to be a little costly I'm afraid. I am also saddened by the cold weather moving in to the great state of Indiana, allowing for only a handful of rounds before the snow comes...I though my experience playing Golden Tee would translate over somehow, but alas, I was wrong.

It can be a costly venture to get set-up... and take it from most of us in that you won't ever be done with your set-up. Best advise you'll get here is to demo everything and get fit to the clubs that speak to you. It may seem like a lot to spend at first, but it's far cheaper to buy the right equipment the first time instead of buying several sets that you found a good deal on but don't fit you.

Good luck, lot's of info on just about every product out there on THP!!

Thanks for the link! This new found hobby is going to be a little costly I'm afraid. I am also saddened by the cold weather moving in to the great state of Indiana, allowing for only a handful of rounds before the snow comes...I though my experience playing Golden Tee would translate over somehow, but alas, I was wrong.

I think right now you can keep the cost down by buying used from reliable source's like right here. There are many good buys out there on pre-owned clubs. It can be very costly depending on your wants.

Thanks HoosierGolfer! Btw any favorite courses around Indy?

Lessons first, before new equipment or anything else. Sign up for a group lesson somewhere at the very least and then follow with as many individual lessons as you have time for. Doing this will save you many hours of frustration and confusion, it is a very difficult thing to learn on your own and it is very hard to break bad habits that are formed by trying to teach yourself through trial and error.

Hey everyone! I'm absolutely a "newbie" golfer, but look forward to actually playing seriously and getting more into it, as several clients of mine are avid golfers and I would love to get out on the course and not make a fool out of myself one of these days. Right now I have a really crappy set of Knight clubs (lefthanded) that are total junk. I have been to a few golf shops around my house, and looked online on several sights trying to find some decent stuff. A few questions: First I am 6'2" and have heard a variety of methods as far as figuring out what size of clubs I need. Is there a surefire way to measure them out, or is it more comfort based? I am also unsure as to the differences in shoes, and golf balls. Yes, I realize several of you are laughing at me at this point, but for those who aren't, any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

HAHHAAAA yur GOOD !! you should go into show business !!! LMAO
after all these years, I'd like that too !!! HAHAHAAA

it just struck me funny ..

Best of luck to you in getting your setup correct. I would help if I could, but being 5'9" everything fits me outta the box.... I don't know how taller golfers get fitted for clubs

Welcome to THP too !!

Lessons first, before new equipment or anything else. Sign up for a group lesson somewhere at the very least and then follow with as many individual lessons as you have time for. Doing this will save you many hours of frustration and confusion, it is a very difficult thing to learn on your own and it is very hard to break bad habits that are formed by trying to teach yourself through trial and error.

Good advice and certainly appreciated. I have looked into several instructors because Ive heard its much better to be taught the correct way instead of developing bad habits.

I am looking into some used clubs, bags, etc. Do balls make any difference at all in the beginning? Also, I absolutely need some proper golf shoes ( I have been wearing my brother's that are a size too small for me, and practically had me wanting to go bare-footed after playing the front 9. Anyone have any opinions on puma golf shoes ? I have worn Puma soccer cleats for years, but haven't come across anyone wearing the Puma's yet.

Thanks HoosierGolfer! Btw any favorite courses around Indy?

I'm about a hour north but my favorite in the area would be Purgatory at Noblesville. Hard to beat a great links course.

I've actually played Purgatory on a golf outing once. As embarrassing as it was I had a great time...easy to lose your ball in the tall grass though!

sounds like you have the right idea. Spending more on lessons than your first set of clubs is a good idea. Picking out a teacher is very important. You need to find somebody you are comfortable with. As difficult as it is to play golf, it is even harder to teach somebody how to play golf, so making the right choice of teaching professional is very important. I find it extremely helpful to work with somebody who will videotape your swing. You will learn more by watching yourself swing and the pro's words will sink in better after actually seeing it.

As for clubs, you can get a slightly used set for a good deal. Just go to your local golf shop. Just make sure the length of the shafts works for you. 4-SW of any game improvement irons would do for starters. You do not need a driver right now. A 3 wood would do nicely + a hybrid.

Once you get comfortable swinging the golf club and have some rounds under your belt, you will be ready to start shopping for equipment.

Good luck, be patient and enjoy the process. Above all, have fun.

Like everyone else says get the right equipment the first time. Buying used is good just make sure the length and lie will work for you. if you try using irons that are completely wrong for your setup and swing you will most likely pick up some bad habits in your swing that will be hard to get rid of later.

I am looking into some used clubs, bags, etc. Do balls make any difference at all in the beginning? Also, I absolutely need some proper golf shoes ( I have been wearing my brother's that are a size too small for me, and practically had me wanting to go bare-footed after playing the front 9. Anyone have any opinions on puma golf shoes ? I have worn Puma soccer cleats for years, but haven't come across anyone wearing the Puma's yet.

YES, buy the CHEAP ONES, it will help keep your cost/round down as you are sure to loose a lot of them

I know I did .... I still loose them, of course, but not as many. I remember back when the cost initally approached the $2/ball price. I was saying, NO WAY I'm paying that for a golf ball ...... well, just the other day I bought 2 doz Srixon TriSpeed for $45 ... so that's still less than the $2/ball ...... must just be a mental thing for me ..... ha, Mikey, Mental, :laughing:

YES, buy the CHEAP ONES, it will help keep your cost/round down as you are sure to loose a lot of them
Ha that's true, I'd be losing dollar bills in the weeds left and right. Maybe I'll worry about decent golf balls in a few years or so when I can keep track of them!

it is OK to buy cheap balls but treat them like they cost $4 each and you will lose fewer of them which will help your scores.

Or even look into recycled golf balls. There's a few good sites that are pretty reputable. You can search this site under "recycled golf balls" too.

When I first started out I played a Noodle.

nike crush...buy 2 get 1 free

Dicks Sporting Goods has 18 packs of slazengers that I've been playing with this year. Not too shabby of a ball for the price.

Back