Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

I've hit a lot of different drivers over the last few years.
I can say without a doubt (for my swing) this is the best driver ever....period...end of statement....nothing else needed to be said....etc..etc...

Sorry if this was answered I perused the thread as much as I could! How does the SuperTri compare to the Superfast? I have the Burner Superfast (9.5) and like it, but might want something with a bit high trajectory and easier to control.

Schweitzer_07: I can attest to the supertri being a high-spin head. I have a fairly decent swing speed, but produce little back spin with the driver. I tested many driver heads on the same shaft and the supertri was one of the heads that produced the highest spin rate for me. Indeed, I got the most carry out of the supertri head. I purchased the regular Supertri, knowing that I would buy another shaft after I tested them with the supertri head. Ended up getting the Miyazaki Black. It was a great shaft for me; brought down the spin rate slightly (perhaps a very slight loss in carry) but the accuracy is better.

That's great to hear. What are the cons of going with a high spin driver vs a low spin one? Loss of carry because of increased backspin I assume, but does the increased backspin help with accuracy and mitigating less than perfect swings? I was on a honeymoon period with my driver for awhile and was hitting it well, but here lately I've opted to hit my 3 wood off of most of the tees because my driver gives me great distance but on tight courses I can't count on the accuracy of it. I'd give up ten yards of distance to know that I can hit fairways consistently and really am just looking for a driver that will help me to do that.

Sorry if this was answered I perused the thread as much as I could! How does the SuperTri compare to the Superfast? I have the Burner Superfast (9.5) and like it, but might want something with a bit high trajectory and easier to control.

Very different drivers if you ask me. Again, just my opinion. I like both drivers quite a bit, but for different reasons. My preference in heads is the SuperFast, my preference in stock shafts was the SuperTri. My preference when they were both paired with my Miyazaki was the SuperTri, but just by a hair. When I paired them both with a few others, the SuperFast was better based on numbers.

That's great to hear. What are the cons of going with a high spin driver vs a low spin one? Loss of carry because of increased backspin I assume, but does the increased backspin help with accuracy and mitigating less than perfect swings? I was on a honeymoon period with my driver for awhile and was hitting it well, but here lately I've opted to hit my 3 wood off of most of the tees because my driver gives me great distance but on tight courses I can't count on the accuracy of it. I'd give up ten yards of distance to know that I can hit fairways consistently and really am just looking for a driver that will help me to do that.

Ballooning balls would be a HUGE issue if the spin is out of control. Both distance and accuracy can be an issue. The goal with any driver is to find the proper launch conditions. Spin, launch, etc...Choosing one without doing so, puts you behind the 8-ball already trying to manage the drives rather than being able to maximize the drives.

Very different drivers if you ask me. Again, just my opinion. I like both drivers quite a bit, but for different reasons. My preference in heads is the SuperFast, my preference in stock shafts was the SuperTri. My preference when they were both paired with my Miyazaki was the SuperTri, but just by a hair. When I paired them both with a few others, the SuperFast was better based on numbers.

I have the 9.5 Superfast with the stiff Fujikura Motore 60 shaft... You swear by that shaft (Miyazaki) huh? Any reasons? I might have to try the SuperTri/Miya combo.

What is the major differences? Launch, clubface hotness, trajectory, control, spin?

I have the 9.5 Superfast with the stiff Fujikura Motore 60 shaft... You swear by that shaft (Miyazaki) huh? Any reasons? I might have to try the SuperTri/Miya combo.

What is the major differences? Launch, clubface hotness, trajectory, control, spin?

Check out the Miyazaki Demo Day THP Reviews thread.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...7-Miyazaki-Shafts-Demo-Day-Reviews-THP-Outing

I only choose to play a driver that I have the proper launch numbers with. Launch, Spin, etc...This one gives me that.

I can't say much about the trajectory since many of us pursue shaft options so that we end up with the trajectory we want. As for the clubs themselves, I'd say the Superfast feels substantially lighter when swinging so it feels like it can get out of control if you try to force the issue, and I believe it sports a slightly longer shaft which might be a cause of your control issues.

I don't know.....perhaps using a slightly shorter shaft is an option for you. Or if your control issues are consistent, then perhaps a supertri with the movable weights/FCT can straighten things out.

Edit: Ahh too late. Well if you're already using the Motore (I assume that's the same one as the stock Supertri) then the shaft thing is out of the picture.

I tried this R9 SuperTri when I was buying a new driver a few weeks back, and ended up going a different way. I regret that now, and wish I went with this.

Like JB said, it all depends on finding the right launch/spin conditions. For me, because I initially had low spin numbers with the driver (often less than 2,000), I needed more spin to keep the ball in the air longer and, thus, more carry. The Ping G15, for example, was one of the lower-spin club heads for me and greatly reduced my carry distance. For others, they might have too much back spin and higher-spin heads may reduce their carry because it simply balloons (or even goes further off line on mishits or swing faults). That was not my issue though. Though I still have a fairly low spin rate, it is now acceptable for my swing speed.

Based on what you have said (if you do need a lower spin driver), I am not sure that a higher-spin head will help you with accuracy. Though the only way to know for sure is to test them, preferably on monitors. It can be a long and frustrating process (it had taken me months), but I think it is well worth it in the end.

I posted this note on the wrong thread, so here it is again....sorry...

It's killing me that I have no where in this city that I can test a Miyazaki in my SuperTri !!!
I'm thinking of rolling the dice and buying a used one on eBay.
It's a "Tour Issue Miyazaki Kusala Blue 61X .335 tip X flex and flex code of 7756".

This is my favorite club. I have the stock shaft and very pleased with the driver. The second round I played with it I was carrying bunkers that I usually roll into. I seemed to swing the Superfast easier. However, the SuperTri was so consistant in its contact point. I started to choose which side of the fairway I want to play. Now, if I could develop a consistant iron game, I would be golded.

I'm looking to tinker with my SuperTri. Am I correct to assume putting more weight in the heel will promote a draw & more weight in the toe will promote a fade?

I have a lower ball flight with my ST than I'd like. I currently have an 8.5* with the Taylormade Fujikura F1 TP 65 stiff shaft. Any thoughts on if I'd be better suited to exchange the shaft for a higher trajectory shaft or if I should just swap out the head for a 9.5*. I used to have a Nike SQ Sumo 5900 that ballooned a bit, so I was fitted by a local pro to my setup above.

I have a lower ball flight with my ST than I'd like. I currently have an 8.5* with the Taylormade Fujikura F1 TP 65 stiff shaft. Any thoughts on if I'd be better suited to exchange the shaft for a higher trajectory shaft or if I should just swap out the head for a 9.5*. I used to have a Nike SQ Sumo 5900 that ballooned a bit, so I was fitted by a local pro to my setup above.

Start with loft and then fine tune with shaft would be my first thoughts.

a little fun for your viewing pleasure

a little fun for your viewing pleasure

You need to get a pink shaft now. And, as an added benefit, the pink shaft will bring out the beauty of those neon-yellow golf balls. I love the Supertri.

Im going to be trying the cottonball trick today, cant wait to see how she goes!!

it will sound allot better, am i the one who told you how to do it? i told somebody but cant remember who it was

You need to get a pink shaft now. And, as an added benefit, the pink shaft will bring out the beauty of those neon-yellow golf balls. I love the Supertri.

hahaha.....I do too, I need to get another one!

I need an opinion on this. I currently have the R9 and understand that this has a bit bigger head but also promotes a bit more backspin (if that's incorrect, tell me!).

Anyways, I hit one this weekend and liked the way it felt a lot. I currently have a high ball flight and game the TP Aldila shaft. If I switched from a 9.5 R9 to the 8.5 Supertri, do you guys think I'll see similar results? Do you think I might find some reduced spin? I love the idea of a small upgrade to the larger head with more forgiveness.

Also, do the original R9 shafts fit into the Supertri head with the original adapters on them?

The supertri is a highspin driver. Very forgiving imo.
I need an opinion on this. I currently have the R9 and understand that this has a bit bigger head but also promotes a bit more backspin (if that's incorrect, tell me!).

Anyways, I hit one this weekend and liked the way it felt a lot. I currently have a high ball flight and game the TP Aldila shaft. If I switched from a 9.5 R9 to the 8.5 Supertri, do you guys think I'll see similar results? Do you think I might find some reduced spin? I love the idea of a small upgrade to the larger head with more forgiveness.

Also, do the original R9 shafts fit into the Supertri head with the original adapters on them?

Back