TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

I love how it's hot and sunny at my house, but 20 minutes down the road at the course there is rain. And it's the only green spot on the radar in all of my county. I'm with you though tomahawk, the stock grips are usually not that great. Multi-compound is the way to go.

Copied from Tomahawk: That is exactly why I went with the multi-compounds. I have owned a lot of TM stuff, and disliked every stock grip they have put out.

The only time I used the TM grips were the arrow grips of a couple of years back when I got them cheap. Tour wraps are on all of my TM products!

Wow Yorkem, you are getting some great distance results! Glad you finally got your new sticks! I think you are going to love those stock shafts. They are made for distance.

Really nice distance increase! Sounds like that slice I saw when playing with you has disappeared as well. Can't wait to hear what you think of the 4/5. Those were just fun to hit.

I can understand your joy with some more distance, yorkem. It really boosts the confidence. Nice update, buddy.

Thanks guys, it really was awesome to gain that distance. Talk about a confidence boost!

I was glad to read this today buddy! Nothing better than initial bliss from an iron. They just continue to get better and better too, I promise.

You guys are doing great and you're reminding me of all the things I loved about these irons.

btw, that lightning storm you got, kept me from playing last night :(

Well, we are having another day of storms here today, but I am actualy a little glad because I had to get my bi-monthly 4 hour IV today, and I am wiped out right now. Gonna go crash and not feel like I missed an opportunity.

OK, so I didn't get to leave the office early as expected, but these things happen from time to time. I did go straight to the range after work, and CL met me there too. I went to pull the 6-iron out, which is what I normally start my range sessions with, but grabbed the 9 instead and decided to just go with it. I started to loosen up, and after a few swings dropped a ball and said "alright, let's see what these babies can do." Hit the first ball, and was amazed at how quick it got up. Beautiful, high, straight ball flight. Hit a few more, and it was the same thing. You literally do not even feel the contact, and the ball just goes! Not only does it get up fast, but the added distance claims are legitimate. I was hitting the 9 about 140 yards consistently, which is about 15 yards further than I was hitting my 9 with the G15's. I realize that is not long for a lot of people, but that is a big jump in distance for me, and it was effortless to get it. Next I grabbed the 8-iron, and again, that same smooth feel, and high launching ball flight. Easy distance of 150 consistent yards, also 15 yards futher than previous. The 7 was next, and I got the same results. Consistently 160-165 yards, which is 15-20 yards longer, and then I got to the 6 which is where I was going to start. 175-180 yards, dead straight, and nice and high. That was a 20-25 yard distance jump, and it is not just stronger lofts. The 9, and PW are lofted the same as my old 9 and PW, the 7 and 8 are only 1* stronger, and the 4, 5, and 6 are 2* stronger. Unfortunately, I had to stop there because a lightning storm moved in, and I didn't want to risk my life out on the range, but overall first impression is that these irons are amazing! So easy to hit, they get the ball up ridiculously quick, feel good in your hands, and look great at address. I am thoroughly impressed, and can't wait for my next range session so I can hit the 4, 5, PW, and SW.

This is great buddy, I am happy to see your getting some more yardage and liking the feel of these.

Weather Channel is showing some sort of thunderstorms all the way through the weekend here in Ellijay. I hope this is erroneous, because I'm itching to get back out there with these. I'm wanting to work on shaping my shots and see how easy it is with these.

Looks like all of the testers here are enjoying the 2.0's as much as the original testers & nearly everyone else that has them. I still love mine, though I swing them too often in a round LOL.

OK, so I didn't get to leave the office early as expected, but these things happen from time to time. I did go straight to the range after work, and CL met me there too. I went to pull the 6-iron out, which is what I normally start my range sessions with, but grabbed the 9 instead and decided to just go with it. I started to loosen up, and after a few swings dropped a ball and said "alright, let's see what these babies can do." Hit the first ball, and was amazed at how quick it got up. Beautiful, high, straight ball flight. Hit a few more, and it was the same thing. You literally do not even feel the contact, and the ball just goes! Not only does it get up fast, but the added distance claims are legitimate. I was hitting the 9 about 140 yards consistently, which is about 15 yards further than I was hitting my 9 with the G15's. I realize that is not long for a lot of people, but that is a big jump in distance for me, and it was effortless to get it. Next I grabbed the 8-iron, and again, that same smooth feel, and high launching ball flight. Easy distance of 150 consistent yards, also 15 yards futher than previous. The 7 was next, and I got the same results. Consistently 160-165 yards, which is 15-20 yards longer, and then I got to the 6 which is where I was going to start. 175-180 yards, dead straight, and nice and high. That was a 20-25 yard distance jump, and it is not just stronger lofts. The 9, and PW are lofted the same as my old 9 and PW, the 7 and 8 are only 1* stronger, and the 4, 5, and 6 are 2* stronger. Unfortunately, I had to stop there because a lightning storm moved in, and I didn't want to risk my life out on the range, but overall first impression is that these irons are amazing! So easy to hit, they get the ball up ridiculously quick, feel good in your hands, and look great at address. I am thoroughly impressed, and can't wait for my next range session so I can hit the 4, 5, PW, and SW.

Nicely done Yorkem! I too have found extra distance with my 2.0's. I am seeing a full club difference in distance and I am more accurate than with my old X-20 Tours.

Looks like all of the testers here are enjoying the 2.0's as much as the original testers & nearly everyone else that has them. I still love mine, though I swing them too often in a round LOL.

I am very much enjoying them. Like you, I would like to hit all of my clubs less during a round. Kind of ironic, huh?

I am very much enjoying them. Like you, I would like to hit all of my clubs less during a round. Kind of ironic, huh?

Haha, I think we would all like to hit our clubs less each round. That is pretty ironic. We go and get clubs that feel so good to hit, but don't want to hit them more than a handful of times each round. Funny stuff.

Haha, I think we would all like to hit our clubs less each round. That is pretty ironic. We go and get clubs that feel so good to hit, but don't want to hit them more than a handful of times each round. Funny stuff.

Haha, great point. I just like my Putter so much I can't wait to three putt.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I am really liking the VDR on these irons. My previous irons were regripped this summer with the white Tour Wrap 2G. The TW2G is a great grip until it rains; then not so much. I am interested to see how the VDR performs in the intense sweat / rain situations. My fav grip is the multicompound new decade I have on my wedges, but they seemed to 'dry out' pretty fast.

I havent found much distance gains for well struck shots (on the range), but am amazed how far mishits fly.

How are you all finding the progressive offset?

There are currently 80 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 79 guests)

Hopefully some of you decide to join us. This is a great site full of incredible information, and we always have something under test by the active forum members.

While not a review I can attest that Matt(mdbuschr) and Yorkem are hitting these irons very nicely. Yorkem was killing them at the range the other day.

While not a review I can attest that Matt(mdbuschr) and Yorkem are hitting these irons very nicely. Yorkem was killing them at the range the other day.

I can't wait to get back out with Yorkem, and jefrazie. Yorkem and I will be able to compare distances pretty closely. Jeff hits the ball a friken mile, and I just want to see what my clubs are capable of. Plus you are testing another set of irons, and I just like messing with you on the course.

Possible skim alert.

For the testers who opted for the upgraded shafts, do you think you're leaving distance on the table by going with the heavier shafts as oposed the lighter stock shafts? From my understanding, the Burners are designed to be longer by having those lighter/longer shafts. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Possible skim alert.

For the testers who opted for the upgraded shafts, do you think you're loosing distance by going with the heavier shafts as oposed the lighter stock shafts? From my understanding, the Burners are designed to be longer by having those lighter/longer shafts. Any thoughts?

I went with the stock shafts, and can attest to the fact that I can literally feel the weight difference, and as evidenced by my intial trip to the range, my distances have vastly improved. I know that does not answer your question at all, but I wanted to get that out there before we start hearing about the "upgraded" shafts.

Possible skim alert.

For the testers who opted for the upgraded shafts, do you think you're loosing distance by going with the heavier shafts as oposed the lighter stock shafts? From my understanding, the Burners are designed to be longer by having those lighter/longer shafts. Any thoughts?

I dont think I'm losing distance per-se (over my current set), however I dont think I am gaining the 10 yards or so others are gaining just from switching to the Burner 2. I am moving from CG Golds with the stock lightweight shaft to the Px 5.5 (non flighted). I am trying to get a Burner 2.0 demo with the stock stiff steel shaft in it to do true side by side comparisons (he lives out of state and is contemplating buying his own set of B2s). I also ordered mine 1/4" short, so that may cause some distance loss too.

I dont NEED distance gains (hit 9iron 150 or so), but need smaller miss dispersion. I am seeing that smaller miss dispersion so far with the Burner 2.0s.

I went with the stock shafts, and can attest to the fact that I can literally feel the weight difference, and as evidenced by my intial trip to the range, my distances have vastly improved. I know that does not answer your question at all, but I wanted to get that out there before we start hearing about the "upgraded" shafts.

I know you went with the stock shafts yorkem and you are seeing the distance increases you'd expect. It would be interesting to see a stock 2.0 go against one with an upgraded shaft and see how much the shafts make a difference.

I know you went with the stock shafts yorkem and you are seeing the distance increases you'd expect. It would be interesting to see a stock 2.0 go against one with an upgraded shaft and see how much the shafts make a difference.

I'm trying man... if anyone has a stock stiff 6 iron they are no longer using, I will pay for shipping to test for you guys. :)

I guess I should say instead of loosing distance, leaving distance on the table. The 2.0s should be longer than most even with the upgraded shafts, but my question should have been if they are still as long as the stock.

I'm trying man... if anyone has a stock stiff 6 iron they are no longer using, I will pay for shipping to test for you guys. :)

I hope you can get one! Should be an interesting test.

Possible skim alert.

I am not a tester and don't claim to know as much as some on this site in terms of equipment and specs but aren't the KBS Tours about an inch and a half longer standard.

I've got an upgraded shaft that Jefrazie and Mdbuschr can hit anytime

Yesterday was league night for my work. I brought along the 2.0's to continue testing with them. I got to the CC a bit earlier than I thought so I got to spend some time on the range. Though most of my time was dedicated to hitting the Yonex, I still spent some time hitting my irons to warm up.

Grabbed the PW to start out with. Aimed at the 150 marker and started whacking away. Every shot I hit was perfectly straight and around 135. Pull out the 7I and aim for the 150 marker. Again every shot is straight over the marker and landing around 175. Finally pull out the 5I and aim for the 200 yard marker. I sound like a broken record but again, every shot was straight at the marker, two balls even hit it!

Finally my tee time comes around so I rush over to go play.

Round summary:

Hole 10:
Tee off hybrid, PW from 135 to the right side of green. GIR = 1, 3 putt

Hole 11:
Tee off hybrid, SW from 50 yards to 10 feet of pin. GIR = 2, 3 putt (funny story, I leave the birdie short. Putt my par and it goes straight in the heart of the cup, goes in hits the back edge of the cup and bounces back out. WTF! Who puts the back corner of the plastic cup below the rim of the actual hole!!!!)

Hole 12:
162 yard par 3. Play an 8I and it flies straight at the pin. GIR = 3, 3 putt

Hole 13:
Long par 5. Push my drive right into trees, use a 7I to punch out. I'm finding that I'm having a bit of difficulty hitting punch shots. I haven't really practiced them on the range so I'll have to start doing that.
Hybrid to green. GIR = 4, 3 putt

Hole 14:
Driver off tee. Left with 175 to hole. 7I to left rough beside green. Chip on with SW and 2 putt.

Hole 15:
Tee off hybrid. 60 left to hole. Blade a SW over the green and OB. First bad shot of the day. Re-hit and 2 putt.

Hole 16:
Destroy my drive. 409 yard par 4. 47 left to hole after drive. Hit SW a bit long onto back of the green. GIR = 5, 3 putt

Hole 17:
Short 132 yard par 3. Tee off with PW and push it right (first push of the day), catches tree and bounces in the middle of the fairway. Blade a SW over the green and it rolls down the back side into the rough. Play a SW again and chip onto green. Drain the 25 footer.

Hole 18:
Driver off tee, 125 left to hole. Decide to play an easy PW, land it on the green and backspin it off the downhill false front. Chip on with SW and 2 putt.

Overall not too bad of a round (46) less my putter :angry:. Probably has something to do with me not going to the putting green before teeing off. The 2.0's are rapidly solidifying themselves in my bag. I feel very accurate with them though I'm honestly not noticing any distance increase over my Diablo Edge's. More to come soon!!!

One other note, I almost threw my 7I on hole 14 due to sweat. Managed to hold one just barely with one hand. I'm going to have to seriously consider switching grips on these clubs.

Back